30k - Unlimited time.. Where to? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Where Do I Go?
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Where Do I Go? Mind Melting? Brain Banging? Can't decide where in the world you wanna go? This forum is for you...
The T-Punk crew will send you in the right direction!!!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Default 30k - Unlimited time.. Where to?

Hi all,

I joined this site about 5 years ago before I took my first backpacking trip in Europe.. I have always remembered the constructive and great information from the people on here..

Anyways, now I find myself a few years older, a little balder and far more well travelled.. I’ve spent time in Europe, South, Central and North America and a few other places on the way through.. I’ve spent about 2 and a half years actually on the road in various places

Now, I find myself in the (great) position to leave again in 3 or 4 months, although this time I have almost no idea where to go!

It’s not so much there’s no where I want to go, more that there are SO MANY places I want to go I can’t even think where to start or when I do think about somewhere I always find somewhere that ‘might’ be better – so I figured I would come back here to get some people who know what they’re talking about thoughts on this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The jist of it is, I will have about $30,000 AUD and unlimited time.. I will take a career break from my job (which could be up to a year) but quit if need be.. I’m based in Sydney, Australia (26 year old guy).. so I’ve looked into things like cruises to get out of here down to flying to almost everywhere on earth

I’d like to try to avoid places I’ve been to before if possible so it takes out most of South America (excluding Brazil), everything in Europe but some of Eastern Europe and the southern parts of the US (except maybe Texas which is awesome and I’d love to go back to).. that being said there are some places in Europe I'd also like to go back to so I'm not afraid to go back to places.. for example I've been to Colombia 4 times now for no reason other than I love the people, I've also been to the Netherlands 3 times

So my thoughts at the moment are something like this; Fly into Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam or somewhere in China and basically head west from there.. I realise that $30k is enough to travel for quite some time and I’m not afraid to splurge a bit if it means doing something I really want to..

There are actually some cruises that go for 3 – 4 weeks that leave Sydney and end up in Singapore or various places in the US that I was also looking into.. the only risk I run there is that I end up being stuck on a boat for 3 weeks with a bunch of people older than my grandparents which isn’t exactly my type of travel!

Also, if possible I'd really like to go to Tomorrowland 2013 in Europe.. there's something about that festival that calls to me

I was also considering getting a working visa for Canada and maybe stopping there for 6 - 12 months if I feel like it... I do love the Canadians

Anyways, a little long winded BUT to summarise, if you guys were in my position what do you think you would do?… $30k - nothing to tie you down – unlimited time

Appreciate the feedback
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Tpunk Senior Moderators

My take on this... Big budget, no timeline, no plans, fly into South East Asia, travel for a bit there and then LET THINGS HAPPEN.... The best travel experiences of my life have been with noooooo plans, and just meet people and let it all happen on its own, not knowing where you will go next, is the best!!!
As for the cruise, you summed it up... You will be stuck with a bunch of people you dont want to be with and no way to escape...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.. I think you're right.. and you're definately right about the no plans things.. south east asia it is!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I am personally more of a Europe guy if given that opportunity... but I agree with Marc... head into Southeast Asia with a basic plan, and maybe and idea of your next jump. Perhaps like a Vietnam/Thailand/Singapore deal and you plan on hitting Eastern Europe afterwards. It seems Tomorrowland 2013 is the only definitive thing you are leaning towards so roughly include that in your plans. (early 2013 or late) and fit Europe into that span, and North America in some other capacity. $30k with the ability to even barter some and work a little under the table along the way can keep you going quite a while. So the possibilities are endless. The only thing I would keep in mind is transportation from one area to the next (i.e. cheaper to get from SEA to Europe or North America, and your method of travel)

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

I agree with SEA as the rest. I myself will be heading to Vietnam for a month in a couple days...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.. that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.. I've booked the one way ticket into Thailand (easier to get into than Vietnam) and will go from there..

Next step in the process will be one of the sweetest parts of all... quitting my job
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

AWESOME!!!

Wish I had met you when you were here in Texas.

Never been to asia, let us know please
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Starting in SEA is a great idea. But for those of you suggesting Europe as a possible second stop!? There's so much in and around SEA, like East Asia, South Asia, Africa, etc. , .... not really sure how Europe, especially being so expensive, is a logical part of this trip. Oh man I'd love to have this opportunity, stuball! Live it up.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
The " ... " queen of TP!

Ummmm you seem to be forgetting about a fantastic and amazing continent I like to call Africa....just saying

But despite that huge gaping hole, your trip plans seem awesome. I would also go with the flow. Start at the place you want to see most and go from there. I wish I had that much dough to throw around on a trip! It would be epic! Good luck!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote