Female Solo?? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
call me Condi!

I ended up on my first solo trip because everybody in my program wanted to travel "American style" (4 countries in 9 days) and I wasn't having it. I was in Istanbul, so as a solo female I did in fact attract a lot of attention (even during Ramazan when the men were weakened from fasting!!). I planned a two day excursion to Canakkale (to see Troy and Gallipoli) to get out of the city for a bit, regroup myself. So even if you decided not to do a tour "alone," you can always do shorter tours in the middle of your solo jaunt to break things up.

Be firm and assertive about whether or not you want to be left alone, though. I did all my solo traveling with a boyfriend back home, and that wasn't much of a deterrent. Fake a wedding band, or else find your own way to circumvent having to be polite when you refuse someone. Sometimes being rude is worth the guilt.

And for God's sakes, tie every strap of everything you own all over your body if you're going to sleep on a night train! I make sure my arms/legs/whatever are through the straps of my bags when I'm on my daily commute back and forth from work! Common sense is universal!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #22
Members

Send a message via MSN to petalbear Send a message via Skype™ to petalbear

I went on a solo trip once and I wished I'd learnt to have more fun.
So my advice would be to just have a go and be wise/stay safe. Where ever you're going to, learn basic phrases of the country's language. Be aware of your belonging while travelling around. Make friends with other backpackers.

Hope you have fun!!

petalB
petalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
Members

go solo it's not a bad deal.... besides you may open up because of it. if you stay in hostels go for the biggest room, that way there is always someone to talk to and go to the bar/pub with. plus you'll be surpised what you can do if you're by yourself.
For the world's more full
of weeping then you
can understand
jaboba46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #24
Members

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(halcyonrx @ Mar 30 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]109560[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Basically I feel like I am repeating what other people have said, but I need reassurance! I am going solo to London, Spain, Italy & Paris for a month (26 yo). I am really nervous about doing it alone since I am kinda shy & don't want to be really lonely. I am debating if I should do a Contiki tour half the time or if I should just do the alone thing? Any suggestions? Thanks!
[/b]

I say go for it! I'm planning on traveling london europe then thailand solo. my first time traveling 24 yrold male. You will meet somany people you won't really be alone. Also it puts you in the position the have to mingle and communicate with people which is a really good thing in my opinion.
when r u going??
brandonscrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #25
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaMarie View Post
Thanks, Tumblezweedz!

To clarify a bit: I'm planning on Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Hungary, Slovak Rep., Romania, Czech Rep., Austria, Belgium, Britain, and Ireland (Whew! It'll be a busy couple of months!). I'll be spending extensive time in Ireland (attending school), and in the Czech Rep. (a research grant from my university at home to write on the Velvet Revolution).

Any tips at all for a solo gal in these countries would be GREATLY appreciated! I don't want to spend my entire trip in libraries and classrooms!
Of those, Romania is the only one I haven't travelled solo. I'm a girl and didn't have anything horrible happen on trains or anything.
You may get more attention than you're used to, from leering men, but don't let it bother you.
The worst train experiences I've had were just due to crowded cars and an engine breakdown in extreme heat . My best advise re: trains would be *Pay attention to how they work (free seats you can choose vs. marked seats/compartments that are reserved) because asking conductors for a seat isn't always wise (I learned that by being guided to a compartment that smelled HORRIBLE, because I didn't reallize I had an option the first time I took a long trip in Spain).:eek: *Bring your own drink, food, and TP. *Bring a lock to secure your bag. I always keep my MOST important stuff inside my clothes, but if you don't want to have to worry about your backpack, which in some cases, is most conveniently stored out of your sight, have a lock. I know most locks won't foil the hardcore theif, but it'll deter the bastards that would just grab and go (I've used a special for backpacks lock with a retractable cable, and a bike lock, but my favorite was a pair of handcuffs untill they got taken at an airport ).
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #26
Members

I traveled alone around the world twice from 2002-2005. I would have never experienced the magical experiences I did had I been distracted by a travelmate. I am so grateful that I had the courage to do it because it really changed my life. Over the years, when I felt lonely (not often), somehow just the right person would turn up and keep me company for a while. It was pretty amazing to live on such faith that everything would be as it should be.

Go. Discover your Self.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #27
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

a big thank u to all those who posted in this thread! it wasnt mine but the advice and comments are really reassuring as i may well have solo travel sum what forced upon if my flatmate cant pull thru and has quelled a lot of my wories!will no doubt return and reread if this is the case just to boost my confidence!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #28
Members

Default Contiki or alone?

In my opinion, I would do a Contiki first, make a bunch of new friends, then go travel with them! Plus, once you travel around with Contiki first, you'll know where you want to go back and spend some more time in, get good suggestions from your travel buddies, and get a taste for Europe in general. I had a blast on my Contiki trip last summer. I've gone to Europe once with a friend, and once on a Contiki, and can honestly say I experienced a ton more with Contiki. It's fast-paced and hectic, but you see so much and make such good friends with the people you travel with. Have a great trip!

-Kathryn
kbroder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #29

My sister travelled alone to Russia and she was fine. But you have to be careful. As long as you are careful and not naive I think you should be fine. Something bad can always happen. Make sure you are always well informed before you go to places and stay inside during the dark.
RobertoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #30

Hello all! I am new to this site so bare with me! I am 20 years old from USA (California) & have just purchased a plane ticket to fly into Ireland & backpack throughout Europe from July until Sept. I will be going alone, & just like the initial post, I am nervous too! I purchased a RailEuro pass & am planning on staying in hostels & with a family for the time I'm in France. How much money do you think I'll need in order to be comfortable & not stressing, how safe is it over there & is it very common for girls my age to go alone? Any feedback to help ease my worries would be great! Thank you
AsToldByGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #31

Did it change somehow, after so many years ?
kenneth4WB is offline   Reply With Quote