What to do with Pictures - FAQ - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default What to do with Pictures - FAQ

Ok Kids,
Quite often we get questions about photo hosting or cd burning or whathaveyou. This thread is dedicated to that.

Generally when I travel abroad I get my pictures burned to a cd at a internet cafe. Usually this can be done for around 5 dollars but on a budget 5 dollars can seem like an awful lot so make sure your memory card is almost full and that you will fill the cd up.

As far as internet hosting of pictures goes the options seem to be limitless
The following sites offer free hosting. Most of them resize your pictures to a glimpse of their former glory so I suggest springing the cash to get a "pro" account with one of them if this is going to be your main photo storage.
www.flickr.com (24.95 a year gets unlimited space and bandwith)
www.photobucket.com (about the same price as flickr but only 5gigs of space)
www.multiply.com (a type of friend networking site that has a good photo option)
www.picasa.com (I think you need picasa installed on the computer you are uploading from. This could be a problem in a internet cafe)
www.pbase.com (23/year for 500megs or 60/year for 1500megs and it's a very clean site. Very sharp.)

There are of course many other options and I encourage you to post them and any questions here.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Great post Jake!

I recently discovered Panoramio. A site that not only lets you upload pictures (I think it has a max of 2GB.. or so) without resizing them!! But they also let you post your pictures on the exact spot of the globe where you took that picture. They are associated with GoogleEarth ( ) so you can actually see yours and everyone else's photos not only on the site, but if you have GoogleEarth at home you can view it there. I Looooove it!

www.panoramio.com
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks for that jake. Hey I just got a Digi cam ..I haven't uploaded photos yet. So my question is ...How many pictures does a CD hold?
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
always trippin'

Depends what resolution you take them at...I take mine at 2048 x 1536 and they take up about 1MB each on average, so a CD holds around 700MB, so approx 700 pics for me.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Another option is to carrier along a flash drive. Sizes go from around 256mb to 16g and the prices for the smaller ones can start around $20. They dont take up much room and are easy to use....a lot more convenient than burning.

Even though I'm not big into the websites that host your pics I think there a good idea. I'm just lazy and once there on my computer I hate having to upload them to some site. They are a good idea though if your constantly sharing your pics, so you dont have to send them to everyone.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

So, whats a flash drive. Saddly I do not know and would love to. Its scares the shit out of me to handover my memory card to a clerk in an internet cafe. What if they accidently erase everything. Something i can carry with me sounds like much less of a risk.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Flash Drive

I could explain it but of course...wiki does it better.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
So, whats a flash drive. Saddly I do not know and would love to. Its scares the shit out of me to handover my memory card to a clerk in an internet cafe. What if they accidently erase everything. Something i can carry with me sounds like much less of a risk.
I know the feeling! I try to do it myself whenever possible. Btw, I also suggest going to Walmart and getting a wooden CD box. It is extra weight for sure but it gives you a sense of peace knowing it would take a real freak accident to crack your CDs.

I never delete photos from the card that would make me distraught to lose. So each CD has repeats, I post them to my blog and I even send a CD or DVD home every so often. It may seem like a lot of overkill and a waste of money but that 30-50 bucks may end up the best money ever spent.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Flash drives are great. If i wasn't taking my apple I would take a flashdrive..... small and effortless you don't have to carry CD's to burn.

Right now I'm looking for a good photoshare site.... I use photobucket for small things like posting pics on my friend's myspace and such. Right now I've been using my facebook account to share pics.... they have unlimited amount of space and they provide a link to share with friends and family. Down side is people who aren't on facebook can't comment on it.

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

this thread is never irrelevant. Let's keep it bumped.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
this thread is never irrelevant. Let's keep it bumped.
better, it's now a pinned thread !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

This thread actually has helped me. I feel like such a do do bird when it comes to digital cameras..I still don't really know how to even work mine. My trip in two weeks will be the first time that i've had a digi on any trip! I guess I will do the cd burning thing. Do you have to do it yourself or does the employee do it for you! (ha..i've never burned anything in my life!).

Also I have another dumb ass question about digi cams..So when I want to upload my photos to my travel blog site I would first plug in the usb cable thing and then Will the camera automatically be recognized on the comp? Or am i to carry my camera software CD everywhere I go? ( and i hope not since i can't seem to find it! )How the hell does that work. thanks!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #13
To Smart For Mensa

yeah pretty much the computer will recognize the camera. If not then you can still find your pictures by going to My Computer - finding your camera, which will show up as a drive - the folder called DCIM is usually where the pictures are hiding. You can copy/paste them out of there to wherever. At most internet cafes the employee will do the cd burn for you.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
call me Condi!

Eerily though it may be, I got my shit together enough to actually have made albums for my last two trips...with captions! I love love love Snapfish, if anybody needs digi-printing recommendations. I need to start sending my old-skool APS film into them...
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks jake! That relieves a little bit of stress. I can't find my software cd right now and I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to access my pictures on any computer besides my home one!

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
Members

another good option, if you have your own server space/hosting is a photoblog thing like pixelpost.org. takes a bit of setting up but at least it's your own webspace so you can do what you want with it, choose the layout etc.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to wakingside

I think something that might be relevant to this thread is the extreme capacities and low cost of some of the memory cards being put out.

I, not that long ago bought a 4gb sd card for my digital camera, was only like $30, I was suprised to look on newegg today to see they have 16gb sd cards for $23-$35.

With that much storage for so cheap, I would think it's more than possible to never worry about running out of space on a trip.

I'm heading to Guatemala in 9 days, I'm probably going to buy another card, 16gb most likely and have my 4gb as a back-up. I'll probably try to get everything hosted online still, I would hate to have some accident and only have pictures on the card and end up losing them.

There are also 32gb sd cards coming out but they are exponentially more expensive that 16gb and under. I'm sure with time they'll end up cheap as dirt as the rest
wakingside is offline   Reply With Quote