Some ways to save $$$$ - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

1. Try to wash your cloths in hostle sinks, that will save time and money trying to use a laundy mats
2. If your going to be drinking, buy booze at stores, its a hell of alot cheaper to by booze there than at a bar, drink before you go out, and buy only one or 2 drinks at they bar/club/pub

3. To call home, use phone cards, they are available all over Europe, Australia, and North America, its flat rate calling and at a much better rate...nothing worse than coming home to a huge phone bill or listening to friends complain how much you call cost them

4. in the summer, try to find out what free events are going on in the cities you'll be in, nothing better than having a good time for FREE!!!!

5. You might b able to get a cheaper rate on buses or trains at night...look into it

6. If your going to be in a city for more than a week, by a transit pass for the subway, buses, and trams...always a cheaper way to go

7. buy your food in markets or stores, resturants are the more expencive wayto go

8. If you hang out in big cities your going to pay more for things, small towns are generally cheaper. And even if you are staying the area of a big city, look for places to stay in the outer areas, should be able to find cheaper places to stay

Just some tips folks

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

^ your awesome CD. Where do you get all the time and energy to type/think about all this? Kudos to you! Your giving excellent advice to backpackers.

~lazy jill
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
travelpunk
Admin

AMEN to that! You have excellent advice, bro! I appreciate all the advice and tips that you have given to help others. That goes for all of you (you know who you are B) ) !

KUDOS TO ALL :D :P !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Ahhhh, you guys are goingt o make me blush....

Its all good, some from my experience, some from friends experiences....its all good, i love to share the info!

Old 06-29-2003, 03:42 AM   #5
travelpunk
Admin

helping the world...one backpacker at a time
Old 06-29-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

YA, all i need is a theme song now....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

And if it takes telling budget trav'las one at a time, i will do it!!!! as God as my witness, I WILL DO ITTTTTTT!!!!!!! ( Canadian Dude thinks he is high atop a mountain, but really he is sitting in a uncomfortable chair in his dusty, hot house dreading actually having to go to work...)

Old 06-29-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
travelpunk
Admin

Gotta make the yer lady happy Punch in that time clock Dude, you got an August vacation to pay for!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #8
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Anyone want to add money saving secrets?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
zylah
TPunk Recognized

for free internet check out the local library. The one i'm using at the moment (in Edinburgh Scotland) only requires a piece of ID with a photo and a signature and they'll give u a month membership with unlimited computer acess.
cool

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
travelpunk
Admin

Good tip, Zylah!

Hope you and Wyz are having a great time traveling through Europe!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #11
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

libraries ROCK! Besides interent, I check out movies and music like c-raaazy!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
artvandalay417
Members

Send a message via AIM to artvandalay417

Depending on what are you doing the ISIC card can get you quite a bit of discounts, but again depends what you are doing... http://www.isic.org/sisp/index.htm?fx=istc_info

Quote:
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." G.K. Chesterton
artvandalay417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:06 AM   #13
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Being the budget man I gotta chime in here.

1. FREE FOOD SHELF. Look for it in every hostel. Broke backpackers know where to go when they are hungry.

2. On a related note, go to the market around dinner time. Buy more food than you need. Start cooking. As others poor in ask if they want in and if they can chip in a little money. I almost always made money doing this.

3. Compare flights, buses, and trains to your destination. If time is less of a factor you can definately save on this one.

4. Ask the hostel staff about working for your room. Some even give you a little money for food and a cool tshirt (ie a useful souvenier)

5. For eating out look for a place filled with locals. You will meet more local people and most likely have the cheapest/best food. English Menu advertisment will assure you high prices.

6. Learn the local tipping ettiquette. No need to overtip (or undertip) for any service. Some guidebooks have this in it already.

7. If it is safe, buy 1 bottle of water and refill at the tap. This can really add up in the summer time! I changed to a new bottle after about 3 days to be safe.

8. Use cash if you can. Credit card companies charge up to a 3% fee to the currency exchange. Also remember that this will be preferable to a cash advance where interest is almost always higher than a normal charge.

9. Have 2 bank accounts. This will prevent a stolen credit card from draining all of your money. If you keep half in one and half in another you stand to lose at most 50%. You would hope the bank will return it but you still have to eat and sleep in the mean time!

10. Use the new "Lithium" batteries in your camera and mp3 players. They last MUCH longer than regular ones. Even with the much higher cost I still saved money on this one.

That's all I got for now. I will add more if I think of any.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Nov 21 2005, 08:06 AM

8. Use cash if you can. Credit card companies charge up to a 3% fee to the currency exchange. Also remember that this will be preferable to a cash advance where interest is almost always higher than a normal charge.

9. Have 2 bank accounts. This will prevent a stolen credit card from draining all of your money. If you keep half in one and half in another you stand to lose at most 50%. You would hope the bank will return it but you still have to eat and sleep in the mean time!

If you are from the UK open up a nationwide account and credit card, they dont bank account doesnt charge for using it abroad and the credit card doesn't charge the 2.75%. Mine saves me a fortune!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #15
Esterina
french touch

Thanks for the tip Flyer !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
mark-0
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Nov 21 2005, 03:06 AM
10. Use the new "Lithium" batteries in your camera and mp3 players. They last MUCH longer than regular ones. Even with the much higher cost I still saved money on this one.
[snapback]88777[/snapback]
If possible try rechargeables. Some rechargeable battery packs are pretty small and I even found rechargeable "digital" batteries that last longer in mp3 players, digital cameras, portable cd players.

Also, the cooking for yourself thing works for sure. I was shown this insanely cheap grocery store chain in southern germany. Me and two buddies ate dinner until we burst on between 3 and 4 euros for several days with food left over to share every night because we shopped and cooked for ourselves instead of going out. It was far from healthy but it filled us up. It was insane cheap, plus they sold REALLY cheap beer, wine, hard liquor, anything we needed.

Overnight trains are a great way to save on a night's accomodation.

Museums often have student/"under this age" discount rates. But if you're going to Florence the only discount I found was if you're under 25 AND a European Union citizen.

Wandering around aimlessly is always free and can often be insanely fun. I spent many a day in Europe getting lost in a city with buddies then finding our way back to our hostel and/or a central area.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope I'm not repeating too much of what's already been said.

Cheers
mark-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Stop drinking...booze adds unreasonable costs to your trip............

Just kidding yah geeks!! As if I would support that!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Dio, I was about to petition to have you banned from the boards!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #19
mark-0
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Diorama@Mar 1 2006, 01:32 AM
Stop drinking...booze adds unreasonable costs to your trip............
Just kidding yah geeks!! As if I would support that!
[snapback]104705[/snapback]
Make your own booze. You might go blind but you also might have a GREAT time.
mark-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Ambs

^^^^^ hahahaha