mexico/belize/guatemallaaa - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
ride_natty_ride

Send a message via AIM to ride_natty_ride Send a message via Yahoo to ride_natty_ride
Default mexico/belize/guatemallaaa

alright. so, the itinerary, as i suppose you would call it, is in progress! primarily because i need to come up with an exact date to tell the quetzaltrekker skool that i will be arriving there. as such, the list is loonnngg and contains nearly just about everything i want to do, and everywhere i want to go, on the way from cancun (to which i will be flying) and quetzaltenango, guate, where i'll be volunteering at the escuela de las calles for 3 months (or more....).

any suggestions, (esp. on transportation b/n areas) tips, critiques, rants, raves are welcome. as i said, i know it might not be possible to hit all these places, but i'll try my damnedest! hehe.

la lista!

~ cancun
~ tulum (i was going to go out to merida direct from cancun, hitting chichen itza on the way, but want to see tulum too, and this is the only way i see to not do a lot of backtracking...)
~coba
~ chichen itza
~ merida
~ uxmal ---> felipe carillo puerto (or wherever southeast is)
~ maybe kabala or labna
~ los limones ---> chetumal
~ ambergris caye
~ orange walk
~ crooked tree wildlife sanctuary
~ lamanai
~ semuc champey
~ community baboon sanctuary (maybe. baboons might be kinda cool... hehe)
~ belmopan
~ san ignacio
~ xunantunich
~ flores
~ tikal
~ coban
~ el progreso
~ antigua
~ lago de atitlan
~ quetzaltenango!!

.... there. that's about it. as i said, any info. would be appreciated... whoo! i'm super-excited, but also entering that 2-weeks-before-leaving-melancholia that i get with regards to thoughts of leaving my friends and family behind, many of them with their tremendously crazy lives. by T-1 week, i'm (generally) quite a bit more focused, however... meditating, visualizing, breathing my way through the insecurity and fears. this will be my first trip 'abroad,' truly, and my parents are FREAKKIINN and tweaking out about me being in central america - i try my best to reassure them that it will be all good (but how do i know that?!) - ahh! one breath at a time, one breath at a time...

namaste, blessed b,
~ melissA
ride_natty_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

You're gonna work for Quetzal Trekkers as a volcano hike guide, or in the school? I worked for QT in Nicaragua a few years ago, AMAZING, you'll have the time of your life.

Otherwise . . . ummmm . . . stop trying to plan stuff, you're just stressing yourself out. Obsessing about plans just limits your sporadic fun stuff/people along the way. The airline lost my bag on the way to Guatemala, so I showed up with nothing. It was fantastic, really taught me a lesson: you don't need anything and you'll get by just fine. (I did get my bag back on the way out.)
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Sounds good, but I agree with Legitikick, planning things too much... Especially in C.A... Plans go out the window in 2 seconds, as you meet sooo many people who you join in with traveling, you find out and hear about sooooo many other places, and end up going to those instead... Just show up, roll with it, try to get to the places on your list, but dont stress it...
And yes, if you are smart, very aware of your surroundings and your STUFF at ALL times, then you will be perfectly fine!!! Give you parents a valium and tell them to chill... jajaja
Cant wait to hear the details chica!!
Safe travels
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
Give you parents a valium and tell them to chill... jajaja
Well said! I've had the exact same thought many a time.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
ride_natty_ride

Send a message via AIM to ride_natty_ride Send a message via Yahoo to ride_natty_ride

Ooohh, absolutamente, cosas cambian todo el tiempo - esppeccialllly while traveling - anything can happen, you can meet any number of people, going to any number of places, doing any number of things - oi! i am just going to savour it for anything and everything that comes my way, and behold things that i will relish having seen and felt for the rest of my life. indeed - i'm ToTaLlY with y'all on the whole 'and when plans change, and indeed they do...' type mentality. a wise traveler lets the universe guide him/her, being open to the delicious synchronicities that are to be found along the way... and the more open you are to it, the more beautiful it all becomes. woot!

legitikick, i'm going to be in the actual school, in xela, guatemala (it's called escuela de las calles); i have a fair bit of experience teaching, and LOOVVEE kidlets. yah, i'm pretty darn excited... i'm sure it was you who posted about your trip with them, and so i looked at their website from that, and was like, 'hmm. hmmmm. hmmmm they have a school? you can volunteer for it? woww! cool!' so... thanks for posting, yo

thanks to both of you for putting things in the proper spirit!

namaste, blessed b,
~ melissA
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Sounds like a blast and you sound geared up for the trip
Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Awesome! You're gonna have the time of your life! I don't know too much about the Guatemala QT crew, but enough to know that they're a damn good time, while doing a damn good thing. I hope that . . . ummm . . . I'm forgetting his name . . . the guy who was taking the lead with the Guatemala crew came down to visit us in Nicaragua for a week, and ummm . . . he's a REAL trip. I hope he's still around, cuz this guy was nuts, like really nuts. I'll let you form your own opinion and then I'll share my own stories.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
ride_natty_ride

Default the clock goes tick, tock, tick, tock... :)

well! the Journey is soon to begin!! i have two more nights, a few more tense hours before the greyhound leaves at 3 pm (saturday - and tense because my parents are trippin about this all, generally), and then it's into the great wide open! 'hounding it down to chi-town, then to o'hare (somehow!), and flight leaves the next morn at 9 (4th of julio!). this morning there was a somewhat intense discussion about how i was going to get to chicago - i was ORIGINALLY just gunna 'hound it down there, then they said they would take me, i said that would be too tense and emotional for everyone (but truly, when i begin a journey, i just want to fully BEGIN.. i want to be able to immerse myself in alllll of it, even the first, little steps. that was going to be difficult with the parents; not that i don't love them and know and feel how they're freaking out, but... i'm trying to be gentle with them, and keep taking deep breaths.

i'm vacillating between an extreme nervousness down in the pit of my stomach - it feels as though this is, perhaps, biting off 'more than i can chew;' but it is not that, this is simply the first REAL trip - and a sheer sense of time slowing down, acquiring more meaning, more possibility, more spirit - it's almost as if the air itself is breathing. this is the Spirit part of it... i'm getting in The Zone. i've been all over the U.S., indeed, i've been out to hawai'i to WWOOF, but this is the first different-language-foreign-culture-foreign-food-foreign-bugs-and-drug-wars-and-hurricanes-and-malaria-and-typhoid-shots-and--- beautiful, beautiful people, grace, awe, growth, freedom, OM, the MAYANS!!, beauty, bounty -- oi! i am thrilled. now, to get to the packing... i'm not taking much! i've lived essentially out of a backpack for about 5 years now, in various places, so... it ain't no thang

i'll try to keep y'all posted as i can... anyone gunna be in this part of the world from july-november?

namaste, blessed b,
~ melissA
Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hola mi amiga! Take a deep breath, let out a scream (a happy one) and know that you are getting ready to have the most amazing adventure of your life thus far!!!!!! Im jealous and happy as fuck for you!!! And I agree, you def want to hound it to Chi town... You are going to be in a fuck load of busses down there, might as well start out in one here!!!