Euro trip 09 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
polarbear

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear
Default Euro trip 09

Alright i got my general trip in a nutshell, but will need advice on how long to stay in each place or just general info lol

May 2009
May 18th- Leave DIA and arrive in London Stay at Generator hostel
May 18th-22nd Explore London and surrounding area
May 22nd Ryanair to Dublin (Avalon house)
May 22-27th Explore Dublin Tour Guinness factory
May 27th Ryanair to A-Dam
May 27th-June 1st Explore A-Dam and surrounding areas (Flying pig D-Town)
June 1st Train to Hamburg (meet German friend and live with his fam)
June 1st-June 7th (German stay)
June 8th-Train to Berlin
June 8th-June 14th Explore Berlin (Generator Hostel)
June 14th- Berlin to Krakow (should i take a train or a flight here?)
June 14th-June 20th Krakow ( Hostel recommendations? tutti frutti?)
June 21st Krakow to Rome Easyjet/ryanair?
June 21st-June 27th Explore Rome (hostel recommendations?)
June 27th Leave for the east of France
June 27th- July 10th Bike the Wine valleys of France and see where life takes me, also chill out time
July 10 ish head for paris
July 10-July 17th Paris and Exploring (Hostel coulainocourt (sp) ?)
July 18th Head to Normandy by train/bus/ i don't know yet lol
July 18th - 24th Explore WW2 battle sites and see where life takes me in the north of France
July 25th examine money at that time, either travel to Belgium or go home if money is low.
Be home then or around the 2nd or 3rd of august. Out of London

wow what a list lol
let me know what you guys think, im interested to hear how i did on my plan, will i get burned out spending like 5 days in each spot?
thanks guys!
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
travelpunk
Admin

I really like how you have given yourself sufficient amount of time with each leg of your trip.

The only thing that I see from my point of view is maybe hit a couple of other places in Italy aside from Rome before heading out to Paris.

You have Rome for 6 days and Paris for almost 2 weeks. Maybe a couple of those Paris days can be spent seeing other places in Italy, since you'll already be there.

Italy was the center of the universe at one point in history, so it might behoove you to see more of it. Just a thought...

Other than that, IMHO, it looks good !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
raoulduke
Certified Wise

I took the train from Berlin to Krakow, I personally prefer that over flying as theres less stuffing around with check ins and baggage. Make sure you have a good book. From memory I think it was about 9-10 hours from Berlin to Krakow by train. You can get a night train but I never slept that well on them anyway and would rather catch a morning train and enjoy the scenery.

Tutti Frutti is rad but there are heaps of other awesome hostels in Krakow. You can't go wrong. Make sure you check out the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camps

I did a Paddywagon Tour in Ireland which was pretty cool. If you've got time I'd recommend it. From my experience there isn't that much to s
ee in Dublin for 5 days. They do day trips as well as 2, 3 and 4 day tours.

Amsterdam is awesome. The Heineken factory is better than the Guinness one. Find some mates and stand around near the exit in the last bar, you will collect more free beer tokens from people leaving than you will know what to do with. A great cheap drunken afternoon.

Your schedule looks great, a nice relaxed pace.

Good Luck

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
polarbear

thanks for the tips guys! im a major guinness fan so im eager to taste some suds over there.
is the price for a train to krakow about the same as a plane ticket?
i think the reason it seems so relaxed is because i took greece out of my plan, it seemed so out of the way. (though i hear it to be a amazing party town)
the paddywagon tour looks interesting i will look into that more.
and the main reason im going to poland is to tour the camps. seems like a moving experience.

Now looking back at how much time im in france i think i should cut it down. i dont want to get "france'ed out" lol are there some wicked areas in northern italy that could be great spots to have a cold one?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
raoulduke
Certified Wise

Yeah I think it was about the same cost. When you book a flight you have to consider airport transfers to distant airports, baggage fees, hidden costs etc.

I like trains because you can just jump on and go, a flight might only be a couple of hours in the air but when you factor in the waiting around in terminals, check in and security there isn't a huge difference in my opinion. Plus train stations are always more central than airports.

At the concentration camps you can get guided tours but I recommend exploring them by yourself at your own pace. They're set up to be easy to navigate. Another small details is get in early so you have time to explore Birkenau as well. There is a free shuttle that will take you there.

If your looking for a beach party atmosphere you could fit in Croatia which isn't quite as far out of your way as Greece, still a bit of a journey though.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^I just toured the Auschwitz camps and I think you need about 4 - 5 hours. Then after that get back to Krakow and try to do something else because it leaves you with a pretty sucky feeling.

I stayed in Flamingos which is literally steps from the main square

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
dudeman
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Completely agree with Raoul about the Heineken bar, plenty of free beers to be had. The only problem is it tastes so much better over there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
polarbear

how is the nightlife in krakow? does it get interesting as the night goes on? lol
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Krakow nightlife was awesome when I was there, which was in the off season when the Univesity students were away for summer. Apparently its even better when the University is open. I stayed at the Flamingo Hostel which had a great location and staff. They would round up a group of us each night and take us out to the good bars and clubs each night.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote