Cheap snowboard destinations in Eastern Europe? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Eastern

Europe: Eastern From Russia to Croatia, the Danube, Iron Curtain era vestiges, Pilzner beer, Czech it out!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick
Default Cheap snowboard destinations in Eastern Europe?

I'm looking for a good and cheap snowboarding destination in Eastern Europe. I'll be going from mid March through early April, so the snow may not be ideal at lower resorts. Any ideas?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
TPunk Moderator

I know nothing about snowboarding but maybe try researching the Carpathians in Ukraine. Also I think Zakopane in Poland is a big winter sports destination.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Hmmmm . . . possibly promising! Thanks! It depends on the weather, looks like I'll really be pushing the season's limits, need to research some more. How well did English get you around Ukraine? Do you know if a good number of people speak German?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

In the cities you can get by. I'm not too sure about the more rural areas, but most young people I encountered spoke it. And the last time I was there was 2 years ago so I'm sure they've worked even more on building tourist infrastructure, as they're holding some football tournament w/ Poland in 2012. The name of it escapes me at the moment.

I did meet one lady selling train tickets in Chop (border town btwn Hungary and UA) who proudly informed me she spoke

ukrainska
russkyy
polskyy
magyarskyy
nemetskyy (thats Deutsch to you)
slovenskyy

But not angliskyy!!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

There's loads of skiing all over eastern Europe. I don't know what the weather's like over in Easter Europe but it's still very cold in the west.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

From what I've gathered, there is loads of skiing, but most of its pretty hard to access without your own car. Or the easier ones to access are relatively expensive. Also, I'd be going in a month from now, yeah its cold as poo here right now, but maybe not in a month.

I'm trying to figure out if I should go to Morocco and travel around, or play snowboard-bum somewhere in Eastern Europe. Morocco would be cheaper no doubt, but I've got a major snowboard addiction . . . like, its a real problem . . . but I wanna save money while I'm at it.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

If you look on hostelworld or any of the hostel sites they do have the skiing regions in there, a friend of mine went to Bulgaria (I think) and got everything very cheap. If you could catch the end of the season you might get something really cheap. I'm not sure if Eastern Europe is really suffering during this recession. Allot of businesses moved East so our loss was their gain.

It might be a bit awkward to get to the ski slopes but I'd say there's definitely buses. In season I'd imagine there's buses running from airports, most places in Eastern Europe are fairly good about picking you up, they appreciate the need to get the customer into the premises.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Thanks for the info folks, notes taken, I will be making this trip sometime. But, I've decided on Morocco, gonna fly into Marrakesh on March 16th and try to hit the last of the snow for at least a week at Oukaimedén, then meeting up with one, maybe two friends in Marrakesh and go into the Sahara or up north. No return ticket yet, but probably flying back around April 10th. Flights to Morocco were just too cheap, transportation too convenient, hash too good, friends want to go too, and I'm still in love with this country after my Christmas adventure there.

So if any other Tpunks are gonna be in the area, jump on this wagon.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Bansko in Bulgaria is the newest and most modern resort is situated at the foothills of the Pirin mountains and is listed as a UNESCO world Heritage site. Natural snow conditions can last into the middle of April !
pantich77 is offline   Reply With Quote