10 Simple Living Tips to Help You Make Travel Dreams a Reality - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-12-2008, 01:55 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool 10 Simple Living Tips to Help You Make Travel Dreams a Reality

10 Simple Living Tips to Help You Make Travel Dreams a Reality ( OR aka 10 Simple living Tips to Help You Live Your Dreams )

Below is how I answered a woman who wondered how could we take a year to travel around the world.

My wife and I grew up with very modest financial backgrounds; guess you'd call it "blue collar" families. So we realized at a young age that not just making money was necessary to become free of the society tied to their jobs but SAVING money was important to reach financial independence. An old Chinese equation for financial success is: live on one third of your income, invest one third conservatively and invest or take a chance with the remaining third with higher investment returns. The "GROSS SALARY" is one of American society's "Brainwashes" on the American people and the other are MENTAL IMAGE TRICKS of what possessions you need to live the "good life".

We didn't really have to save up for a long time but did plan the trip over a year ago because of our 12 y.o. daughter's ( now 21 years old and in her senior year at University of Hawaii at Manoa this coming fall semester )school and activity schedules. Tips to be able to make your dreams a reality are as follows:

1.) No impulse buying or consuming

2.) Live modestly

3.) Pay cash for your car not installments

4) Pay all credit card bills monthly with no remaining balance

5.) Share rent or live with your parents until your savings allow you to buy or rent a private living space

6.) Work more so you don't have the time to go shopping and to spend

7.) Know that traveling around the world is cheaper than living in the States and many other developed economies

8.) Love yourself so you don't need to buy something to"improve your self image"

9.) Be active with hobbies that don't cost much money like taking long walks, exercise, reading or educating yourself and lovemaking.

10. Realize that you're only human and all the above "tips" will be broken but try your best.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Drifter in the making.

I've found that a really easy way to save cash is to bring a lunch to work and to have a travelmug of coffee made from home rather than buying.. even in Canada where Tim Hortons cofee is cheap it still adds up.. let alone for those extravagant people who buy Starbucks everyday

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Guac it up!

Thank you. These are awesome. I try to practice all every day, and the hardest part is sticking with it! The bottom line is don't be an elitist - it doesn't take much money to live well and be happy.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

i also work out how many days something costs in a forgein country. say i want a new pair of jeans. they are $120, thats about 4 days in India... and jeans are too heavy to take backpacking.

easy peasy!

great list! i like the 1/3,1/3, 1/3 thing, i might try that when i get home and start working again

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Manders

I tend to be a real impulse buyer. so, one thing that has worked for me is, every time I am about to buy something I know that I dont need, I try to equate it to something for my trip. ie: I can buy one doughnut here or eat two pastries in an Italian cafe. No brainer.
Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #6

Smile

those are great advice!
I got another one that really helps me.
The same day you get paid, put as much money as you can in a savings account.
I really agree with living modestly, you'll be surprised with how little you need to live well and comfortably.

Ambs
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #7

Also, keep track of your expenses on spreadsheet and at the end of each month revise it and make cut backs where you can on your variable expenses and put that money on your savings account!

REALLY helps keeping track of where every penny goes, you'll be surprised how many unecessary purchases you can make at time!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Artist of Life

In other words.... "have the fiscal mentality of an immigrant"

hahahahahahaha... note that I don't say this mockingly, I come from an Chinese immigrant background (parents came in the 70s) and they hammered the principles of saving lots of not spending unnecessarily into my head.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #9

I'm sorry, I don't really like that list. Seems too preachy.

I don't have a problem with spending money though and I work a fair amount. But if I want to buy something now, then I will. I work 55 hours a week, I'm not going to make my self suffer months and months till I get to my trip.

I think long planning is the best thing to do. I just shove money into savings and don't even touch it. But I still have money in my checking to spend(if need be).
travy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambs View Post
Also, keep track of your expenses on spreadsheet and at the end of each month revise it and make cut backs where you can on your variable expenses and put that money on your savings account!
Good one, that I fully agree with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travy View Post

I don't have a problem with spending money though and I work a fair amount. But if I want to buy something now, then I will. I work 55 hours a week, I'm not going to make my self suffer months and months till I get to my trip.

I think long planning is the best thing to do. I just shove money into savings and don't even touch it. But I still have money in my checking to spend(if need be).
Both ways have the pros and cons. The list above is meant for travellers who want to save rapidly in order to get abroad asap, or have low income.
Your way is more for patient travellers or those who can't make the "sacrifices" while saving up.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote