Mooncups and smoothaways??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Manders

Send a message via Yahoo to Manders
Default Mooncups and smoothaways???

I have been looking into two products that sound too good to be true, especially for travel. one is the Mooncup, and the other is that smoothaway thing I keep seeing on TV. I have looked into them both and hear surprisingly good things about them. Has anyone used either, especially for travel. I am thinking of buying both of them.
PS sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a section for periods and leg hair.
Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I have heard good things about the mooncup but can't bring myself to believe them... I mean, it's what women were using way before tampons etc were invented, surely there's a reason they were all so keen to abandon it?

and the smoothaways, are you talking about those mit things that you rub on your legs? I think they were advertised as silkymits here but I've never used or seen them. once again, if ithey really work as well as they say they doe, why isn't everyone using them?
I probably don't have to say here that I'm a bit of a traditionalist.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Manders

lol, as am I in most regards. But anything that will save an ounce right? Honestly, they're both cheap enough that I think I might just try them out and report back for the traditionalists. :D
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

what's a mooncup? or a smoothaway?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/ - A menstrual cup.

https://www.officialtvwebsite.com/getsmoothaway/ - a glove type thing that apparently just 'smooths' away hair.

I looked at both products, but like Aliz, couldt really bring myself to believe the good things said about them.

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I just can't quite bear the thought of a mooncup. What's wrong with a tampon?!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

^^I totally agree. The mooncup seems somewhat unhygienic to me

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Manders

sorry I forgot to post links. . And I think the cup sounds more hygenic, at least its better for your body. they actually seem to be pretty popular amongst traveling women.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...art=0&tstart=0
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Thetraveler
Members

I have been using something similar to a mooncup but its called a divacup. Got it about a year ago and have never even considered tampons since. It takes a bit of getting use to as far as figuring out how to get it in and out without a mess. But for traveling it is awesome.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
double.exposed

I don't see much of a problem with the Mooncups, I think they are a great idea, especially since tampons are A) annoying to have to get rid of/pack away if you're in wilderness, B.) not beneficial to the vaginal environment (seeps away moisture, contains bleach), and C) are not so kind to the -physical- environment, particularly if you use ones that have a plastic applicator.

I think the biggest thing would be practicing with one before you go on your trip (they can have a bit of a learning curve). It's pretty rare that you'd have to empty it and wash it in a public bathroom's sink, since you can just clean it in the stall with toilet paper, so even if you're a bit period-shy, it should be fine.

Last edited by joe7f; 01-06-2009 at 05:13 AM.
double.exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
double.exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by double.exposed View Post
I don't see much of a problem with the Mooncups, I think they are a great idea, especially since tampons are A) annoying to have to get rid of/pack away if you're in wilderness, B) not beneficial to the vaginal environment (seeps away moisture, contains bleach), and C) are not so kind to the -physical- environment, particularly if you use ones that have a plastic applicator.

I think the biggest thing would be practicing with one before you go on your trip (they can have a bit of a learning curve). It's pretty rare that you'd have to empty it and wash it in a public bathroom's sink, since you can just clean it in the stall with toilet paper, so even if you're a bit period-shy, it should be fine.
Ahem, that first emoticon is not supposed to be there, I was trying to type "B )" to make my second point, haha. :P
double.exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I read into divacup and there were a bunch of things they mentioned, particularly the environment, costs and health. They're good for a year (maybe more?), so those are a lot of tampons/pads/liners/applicators you aren't throwing into landfills or spending money on. And there's no risk of toxic shock syndrome and you only need to worry about it every 10 or so hours (that was a bit much for me to accept, but I don't know).

I read a bunch of testimonials on other message boards and it seems legit. I'm definitely interested, though I don't know since, at this point, my only bathroom is a public bathroom.

And about women using them before... I actually heard quite the opposite. According to that, most women didn't usually use anything until relatively recently. I don't have a link, but I read somewhere else that women actually had issues with tampons when they first came out because the idea of inserting something was disconcerting. I can't imagine they'd have had that reaction if something like a mooncup had been in use before.

The smoothaways, on the other hand, I've heard are a complete rip-off. Like most infomercial things, unfortunately. Le sigh.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

And! On a completely random note... I just googled "smoothaways" and TravelPunk! was the first site to come up. Weird!!

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliagulia View Post
And about women using them before... I actually heard quite the opposite. According to that, most women didn't usually use anything until relatively recently.
ew... haha. no I wasn't talking about that long ago, menstrual cups were invented in around the 1930s.I just meant that there must be a reason that tampons (& pads I guess) have been the main product of choice since then..

and also, I like everything about the concept of those cups... it's just the thought of using one... huh, refusing to try something new, am I getting old already?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Thetraveler
Members

It's really not that bad, takes a few tries to figure it out and folding it a different way from what the booklet you get with it suggests. After a few times you will figure it out and it is a lot less messy then when you start. A good tip is try it in the shower a few times, the warm water makes it more pliable and more comfortable to insert.

I also believe they have a money back guarantee so if you really hate it you can always go that route. Although I highly doubt you will once you get the hang of it.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Manders

My hair is really fine, and you almost can't see it anyway so the smooth away pads work for me. And they were only like 8 bucks at walgreens so it wasn't much of an investment to try it out. About the mooncup I read a ton of testimonials, focusing on travel forums especially. And from what I read, women love to travel with them. So, I was like "hey" I hate tampons, why not give this a try? lol
Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 AM   #17
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Weird, I was at a party last night and a lady was talking about her divacup and how awesome it is and how she will never use tampons again. And now this morning I log on and read this thread. I would def. give it a shot, after a couple months of using it, your investment would be covered and it would be a great concept for traveling!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
mollymore
TPunk Recognized

another vote for the divacup, mooncup & etc. totally worth it.

Aliz, as to your comment as to why other disposable products have been more popular, I think a lot of it has to do with capitalism and marketing. sell a woman a mooncup and she won't be buying another next month... pads and tampons you can keep selling and selling them. there are some disposable menstrual cups though, I can't remember the name but lots of mainstream drugstores carry them

Molly
Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
emilyhanna
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Kinda late, but: Keeper/Mooncup/Divacup ROCKS. Before I used one I had all the same concerns mentioned already. At first it seemed a little gross to have to look at a cup of menstrual blood, but I never got it all over myself or anything. In fact, I think the Moon/Divacup is more hygienic than tampons or pads. The thing never leaks like tampons can, which is great for avoiding period-stained underpants when you only have a few pairs while traveling. You have no risk of toxic shock and you're doing something healthy for the environment. PLUS: It can last for 5+ years! Un-freaking-believable.

As for Smooth Away... I can't imagine it working the way the informercial implies it will. What ever does?
emilyhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
double.exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhanna View Post
Kinda late, but: Keeper/Mooncup/Divacup ROCKS. Before I used one I had all the same concerns mentioned already. At first it seemed a little gross to have to look at a cup of menstrual blood, but I never got it all over myself or anything. In fact, I think the Moon/Divacup is more hygienic than tampons or pads. The thing never leaks like tampons can, which is great for avoiding period-stained underpants when you only have a few pairs while traveling. You have no risk of toxic shock and you're doing something healthy for the environment. PLUS: It can last for 5+ years! Un-freaking-believable.
I'm going to have to agree with you times a bajillion, I LOVE my menstrual cup! I ended up getting a Lunette and it is intensely wonderful for hiking, sitting in lecture halls, dancing around to the radio at 3AM, and you can sleep in it without risk of TSS, which rocks, hard. Definitely definitely an excellent travelling accessory. Also, you can put it in around when you're anticipating your period but don't know when it's gonna strike, and forgo any "surprise!" moments.

If you're into getting one (not just OP, but ladies in general), check out Menstrual Cups - Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette, Miacup!