Insurance? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Default Insurance?

Hey all,
I am going to Europe for 2-6 months this summer or something like that. Apparently I need this thing called "insurance"... whatever that is.

Can anyone help me out with deciding a package/provider and whatnot? I guess obviously I need to decide on the length of stay and whatnot. What sort of things should I look for in insurance? What kind of coverage do I need?

Really I am clueless in this regard... obviously the cheaper the better... but after watching my Mom break a toe in Mexico last year - I sure see the value in having an insurance package.

Thanks!!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

I got some rank cheap medical insurance from caa travel on my last trip. Super quick and easy too.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Why do you "need" insurance? Don't pay more than €1-€3, from what I've heard of travel insurance it's worthless as they never pay out should something go wrong.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

I don't have any travel insurance right now, nor did I on my last time in Europe (2.5 months). Its risky because one wrong step could mean a broken ankle or something, or worse. Also if I die...no coverage for bringing my body back to the States. So it may be something you wanna get but you don't "need" it.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Being prone to recklessness and near misses, I always buy travel insurance even when I'm going on a weekend trip to the US. One hospital visit down there could clean me out. On the other hand, folks visiting Canada probably don't need to bother--we will take care of you, LMAO!

Travel insurance covers different things. If you want trip cancellation insurance you have to buy it within a couple of days of buying your flights (72 hours, I think). And then there's the medical part of it which to me is the important part.

I didn't really compare, I just bought insurance from my credit union.

I bought single trip insurance for the trip I'm about to go on because I knew my dates, but if you are going for a long time, or don't know your return date, you could consider an annual policy. Might be cheaper, or the price difference might make it worth it to be able to leave things open-ended while still being insured.

I'd love to know where other people get their insurance, and how much it costs.

Molly
Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

I always get insurance for trips longer than a week or two and was very glad I had it the one time I became ill on holiday. Within 5 days of calling the insurance company with a mystery illness I was back in the UK after being flown home free of charge from Kyrgyzstan, which would have a cost a fortune if I'd had to pay for a last minute ticket.

I met a guy once with severe sunburn on both his legs and could barely walk, but he was too afraid to see a doctor incase it ended up costing him a fortune as he didn't have insurance.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

If your a European and traveling within Europe you could be entitled to free or subsidised medical care. Look up the European medical insurance card, I think it used to be called the E111. You get the same health care as a local some countries fully cover the cost some only cover some of the cost.

It's completely free so everyone should have one.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

Lightbulb Re: Insurance?

Insurance is a form of risk management in which the insured transfers the cost of potential loss to another entity in exchange for monetary compensation known as the premium. Insurance is appropriate when you want to protect against a significant monetary loss. Everyone that wants to protect themselves or someone else against financial hardship should consider insurance. This may include:

* Protecting family after one's death from loss of income.
* Ensuring debt repayment after death.
* Covering contingent liabilities.
* Protecting against the death of a key employee or person in your business.
* Buying out a partner or co-shareholder after his or her death.
* Protecting your business from business interruption and loss of income.
* Protecting yourself against unforeseeable health expenses.
* Protecting your home against theft, fire, flood and other hazards.
* Protecting yourself against lawsuits.
* Protecting yourself in the event of disability.
* Protecting your car against theft or losses incurred because of accidents.
PamelaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #9

Insurance is a practice or agreement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium.

There are several types of insurance like Auto,Travel,Health,Life and many more so people can get one for their needs. its a necessary part of life.
cemroon is offline   Reply With Quote