Best time to go? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Australia/NZ/S Pac.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Australia/NZ/S Pac. Backpack´n Kangaroo jack´n down-under...What is Vegemite?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Best time to go?

Hey TPunks!

So I am planning on heading over to OZ/NZ for about 10 weeks and then maybe add a couple more for SE Asia. I don't know exactly when I will be going, but pretty much any time after Christmas or so. Keeping in mind that I don't exactly do well in extreme heat (being incredibly white), when would you suggest I go? Will I survive their summer there? Or should I wait a few months and then go? What's that region like in March ect.?

Anyways, any help would be great. Thanks.
goodtimes245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

Hi!
I love Australia in the summer time, but it does get very hot around January/February and if you're not used to it, it could affect your enjoyment! I live in sydney and temperatures here in summer often get to around 30 C (86 F) or higher.
New Zealand's summer isn't as long and hot as ours, so maybe if you're keen to leave sooner rather than later, I'd do New Zealand first, then Australia, then SE asia. this is a good guide on NZ's weather, from the look of it the summer there doesn't get that hot at all! I think March would be a great time to hit australia, it's still very summery but the unbearable heat of jan/feb is usually gone by then (sydney temps are probably around 26 C - 78F) I'd start off on the east coast before doing any outback/northern territory exploring. In those places, it's hot all year around but the temperatures do dip a few degrees in winter (june, july, august) so the later you go, the better.
Also, with ten weeks, you have plenty of time so my main advice for travelling in summer would be to take it slowly - allow time for lounging around under big shady trees in the park, plan any indoor activities between 11am-3pm so you're out of the harshest sun. and for god's sake, DO NOT do what all the other tourists do and spend all of your first day here lying on bondi beach trying to get a tan! it won't work and you'll be red and sore for the rest of your trip. Aussie beaches are best enjoyed in the morning (and anyway, that's when all the hot local surfers guys & girls are there )
let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Hey there,

You won't have to worry about extreme heat in NZ it doesnt get that hot here! We proberly average around 25C over summer throughout most of the country, in OZ however it will be quiet hot - depending on where you go I guess?

If your that worried about heat I would either bring the trip forward a bit or don't start until around march like you said when it starts to cool down and I would start with NZ and then move onto OZ to ease yourself into it

Hope this helps a little!! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!!

Ohh and Welcome to the boards!!!

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
TPunk Moderator

Its not letting me edit my post for some reason, but i just wanted to add a bit more to my post (Ali must have posted just before me!!) The link in Ali's post seems pretty accurate about the weather in NZ!

March / April in OZ is still pretty summery especially compared to NZ, the past two years i've been in both months and it was like christmas for me getting to have some warmth for a change!! So yeah like I said do NZ first then OZ to help reduce the shock of the heat!

Updated April 2010!
Soon
NZ or OZ

Soonest
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Many thanks to the both of you.

It sounds like it won't be too bad. I am from southern California after all, but I am not very good at playing the part. I just didn't want to spend my time in the area with a major sunburn lol.

I think the NZ then OZ strategy sounds about right, it makes sense as far as heading in a general direction, especially if I end up going on towards SE Asia.

So thanks again, and I'll be sure to ask some more questions as the planning continues.
goodtimes245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
TPunk Moderator

Just make sure you take plenty of sunscreen & remember to reapply it and you'll be fine!! Damn hole in the Ozone layer!

Updated April 2010!
Soon
NZ or OZ

Soonest
NZ or OZ Travel