How to avoid paranoia during the backpacking trip. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
rockababes

Send a message via AIM to rockababes Send a message via Yahoo to rockababes
Default How to avoid paranoia during the backpacking trip.

So how do you avoid being paranoid and just focus on sucking the travel experience?

I'm ready to go backpacking in SE Asia next month, excited and scared. This is my first time and I don't really want to get carried away by those people around me who keep on giving me warnings trying to scare me and all that.

For those ladies who have traveled alone? How did you deal with the feeling of being alone far away from your home?I'm kinda imagining that kind of feeling when I won't be able to sleep, you know being miles away and don't know anyone.

I've just watched this Hostel movie Part 1 and 2, kinda scary but It's just a movie. Someone told me it's based on a true story.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

It's probably natural to be paranoid after you step off the plane/train. Only after you'e have a few beers, gotten used to the local environment, started meeting some people, etc... that you will start to relax.

The trick is to keep your guard up when you are having a good time, are relaxed and 'nothing can happen'.

And I'm pretty sure your hostel isn't actually some kind of organ processing plant... they probably make enough of a killing of you anyway, monetarily.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
rockababes

Send a message via AIM to rockababes Send a message via Yahoo to rockababes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
And I'm pretty sure your hostel isn't actually some kind of organ processing plant... they probably make enough of a killing of you anyway, monetarily.
hahaha, Laughed hard on this.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I've not been to SE Asia either but did do Germany and Poland on my own and there is nothing more liberating than when you get home and everyone who tried to scare you and tell you you're crazy for traveling alone yada yada yada can see all the cool fucking shit you got to do and hear about your experiences.

Go for it, don't look back, and I bet this won't be your last solo trip.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

If you're feeling paranoid I would in fact recommend avoiding hostel-related horror films
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

^ Seriously. This is why I've never watched the movie Hostel.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
milocali
T-PUNK PRIVATE

I totally know what you're talking about...i will be travelling for the first time alone this summer to italy and it is really hard to ignore all the warnings from my family. it is my first time leaving the united states and neither of my parents have travelled abroad before so they are really freaking out. when i start feeding into all the scary stories i just try to focus on all the great things i am going to see and remember that i have confidence in myself! its nice that our friends/family worry, but think about how great it will be to come back from a great trip with awesome stories and pictures! and i've heard that if you are staying in hostels you probably wont feel lonely as long as you are open to meeting new people in the common rooms. just remember, its going to be great fun!
milocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Just think of it as a weekend away...a VERY long weekend away. I haven't been to SE Asia, so can't comment on that part of the world, but can on being a single gal traveling alone.

It's a great time!!! I was SUPER worried prior to my first solo trip. I had traveled with others but not by myself. If you're staying in hostels, you WON'T be alone. If you want someone to talk to, you'll have plenty of folks there.

Do it! You'll never look back.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
PhilBill

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool NO Worries RELAX- SMILE & LAUGH

Two ways of relaxing your FEARS and ANXIETY is to SMILE, LAUGH and develop your own one-liners which help reduce stress; a couple of mine are, "Time will Tell" and "It's ONLY Money" . Of course women who travel alone need to to be a bit more practical and wise when choosing who to hook up with and socialize with while living "life on the road". I saw that HOSTEL MOVIE 2 years ago and though I sort of liked the movie I also HATED the FEAR it propagated especially toward women. REMIND yourself that the Western Nations in North America and Europe do NOT really like their citizens traveling abroad and prefer to brainwash them with FEAR so they keep shopping and running up credit card debt. The " I OWE I OWE so Off to Work I Go" lifestyle in the "West" has lead to its downfall with this worldwide recession / depression as evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockababes View Post
So how do you avoid being paranoid and just focus on sucking the travel experience?

I'm ready to go backpacking in SE Asia next month, excited and scared. This is my first time and I don't really want to get carried away by those people around me who keep on giving me warnings trying to scare me and all that.

For those ladies who have traveled alone? How did you deal with the feeling of being alone far away from your home?I'm kinda imagining that kind of feeling when I won't be able to sleep, you know being miles away and don't know anyone.

I've just watched this Hostel movie Part 1 and 2, kinda scary but It's just a movie. Someone told me it's based on a true story.

Your thoughts?
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBill View Post
REMIND yourself that the Western Nations in North America and Europe do NOT really like their citizens traveling abroad and prefer to brainwash them with FEAR so they keep shopping and running up credit card debt. The " I OWE I OWE so Off to Work I Go" lifestyle in the "West" has lead to its downfall with this worldwide recession / depression as evidence.
I wouldn't say that's as true in Europe, The EU encourages travel within Europe with the common currency and the ability to work in some other countries. There's also been a strong tradition of immigration in many of the poorer counties. Despite Irelands economic boom we still had a tradition of leaving the country. Allot of people I know have lived in another country (usually Australia, the UK or the US) and everyone I know has left the country at least once and the older generation will always tell you to get out while you still can. Most Europeans have family living in another country, half my family lives in the UK and US and we travel between each other constantly.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Philbill I don't think you could be more wrong.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
abogado

Smile Buried catheter

Well hope so all going good/....How did you deal with the feeling of being alone far away from your home?I'm kinda imagining that kind of feeling when I won't be able to sleep, you know being miles away and don't know anyone.
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote