I need advice on my trip to NYC - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Kelliott

Default I need advice on my trip to NYC

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone that has been to or lives in New York City could help me out, me and one or two girlfriends are taking a bus from Oregon to New York at the end of the summer before i move away to school and we are looking for good cheap deals :-) I have found a couple hostels that are like 15ish a night but i dont know tons about them so if you have stayed in one you loooved I would love to hear about it and we are looking for cheap things to do like spending a day in central park so if you know any cheap fun things to do or maybe you know of some great flea markets and stuff that we may not be able to hear about over here in little old Oregon we'd love to do stuff like that! ...wow this is a long post lol sorry! One more i just thought of! Second hand and thrift stores!!! If you know of some in NYC I would be so happy!!! We don't really have any where I'm from :-( Thank you to anyone who actually just got through this entire post!! lol :-D
Kelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
mollymore
TPunk Recognized

you might find some useful information in this thread, and by searching the board for "new york" "new york hostels" and the like, if you haven't already

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/u-s...-new-york.html

I've stumbled on flea markets in the village in manhattan without looking for them. they are all over especially on weekends. if you find one, ask the vendors where and when there are more. I don't know but some might be listed in the village voice. you can also try google, it is a magical thing. good luck.

Molly
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

here are a few good sites for good NYC travel info:

New York travel guide - Wikitravel <----- this is good general info, metro stuff, yada yada yada.

New York (city)/Manhattan - Wikitravel <-------- this is more for you, you can click on the different neighborhoods and see what they have to offer.

if you're looking for flea markets and thrift stuff, we found cool stuff in TriBeCa, Chinatown, and SoHo. also, check out the Chelsea market. Every time I go, I stay with my best friend who lives on the Upper East side so I don't have any hostel recs, but there are a lot of tpunks on here who have stayed at NYC hostels and can give you some guidance. check our hostels threads, maybe you can get some good info there.

as for cheap stuff to do in NYC, there are good, cheap eats everywhere, I promise. walking down Park Ave and that whole area is free and you see all the high-end shopping and you usually see some celebs wandering around too, depending. some days, either the Met or the MoMa are free admission, those are a must-see. of course, all the landmarks are free to walk around and see. Times Square is usually buzzing and it's exhausting haha. central park is FABULOUS and free.

good luck!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Street vendors!!!!!!!! Lunch in Chinatown for $1.50, hotdogs for $2.00.... Can't go wrong at all. I spend very little when I'm there, mainly wandering all the streets and different areas..... If you make it up to the upper West side, the Boat Basin bar is a MUST!!!!! One smart thing would be to get ahold of a subway map before you get there and get VERY familiar with it. The subway is CHEAP, and easy to get around on. I have a good friend in Brooklyn that would more than likely be willing to spend a day showing you around......
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
epicballa
The Finisher

Send a message via AIM to epicballa

I've lived in NYC my whole life and I find the best free thing to do is still just walking around aimlessly for hours. I'll never get tired of that. The city is always changing and no matter how long you've lived here there's always new things popping up that you haven't seen.

Definitely check out FreeNYCâ„¢ - NYC's Premier Guide to Quality Free and Cheap Events when you're here, they list a ton of interesting, free events.

The Met's admission price is "suggested" so you can technically get in for free if you don't mind the shameful look from the guy at the ticket counter. I always give at least $5 to support the place.

There's a cool little flea market on Broadway down in NoHo, I think the cross street is 4th st but if you walk around you should find it.

As for second hand and thrift stores, I don't know the exact locations of any but there are a bunch scattered throughout the east and west Village.
epicballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
mollymore
TPunk Recognized

GoNYC is always a great source of information as well. They currently have up an article about flea markets in NYC

nycgo / nyc flea markets

There are also tons of free concerts, events, and outdoor movie screenings every single week during the summer. Check it out. I'm going to see MC Lyte for free when I'm there in July =)

Molly