Traveler's cheques - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
expatben
lover of Germany

I was just wondering, when you travel, do you usually bring traveler's cheques? I have always brought cash and a bank card but now I am thinking of cheques. Just wondering if that is a good idea.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

I like to have a couple stashed away just in case I need them.....atms are plentiful but I've been in the situation of my card not working....the traveller's cheques came in handy.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
chasing a dream

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream

I guess, the more, the merrier. Which meens, the more ways you have to pay for something, the better off you are. Travelers checks are a good thing to put aside for emergencies. Say your ATM card gets broken (happened to me), or stolen. How are you going to get a replacement when you're away from home? Or worse yet, you get robbed? Travelers checks can be replaced, cash can not. I would not recomend using travelers checks for ALL your money since not all places accept them, but it is a good back up, just in case. Get enough travelers checks to cover your ass in an emergency, use cash and ATM cards for everything else.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Esterina
french touch

They are accepted only in North America and Western Europe (elsewhere in banks only), and even there less and less business accept them. In Paris, I ended up going to a back to have mine cashed and it took some time as the employees didn't know how to handle them. That was my last time using them.

In the following trips (of 3 and 6 months respectively) I only had emergency cash hidden in my money belt, one credit card (for ATM) and one bank card.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

if you ring visa and mastercard they will have a replacement card with you within 48 hours, thats one of the saving graces of credit cards!

TC's are ok, but a lot of hassle to get changed and you can get charged a bit for using them.
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Joker
You want fries with that?

Not a fan. I can agree that they have their advantages, sure. I would likely stash some extra (non-budgeted money) cash in form of those in my money belt, but for general use, they cost too much to use. Banks and business tended to charge quite a bit for exchanging them to local currency and not every business took them.

Interesting enough- in Costa Rica you must pay an exit tax leaving the airports of $26. I had two $20 checks left, and they wouldn't accept them for payment of the tax!!! But, there was a money changing stand on the other side of the airport. They exchanged them, sure, but for a 10% fee!!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I find absolutely no use for travelers cheques whatsoever. In fact, I find it frustrating when people I'm traveling with bring them and we have to hunt down places to use/change them.

Chasing, though, brings up a good point about busted ATM cards. THAT can be a bitch and a half. That's why it's super handy if your bank offers the whole Visa/MC check-card thing. (If you've been living under a rock for the last 10 years, that'd be a debit card...) You can walk into any bank branch during business hours with one of those, and by virtue of being on the Visa/MC network, you can withdraw money from your account the same way you'd do a cash advance in person. You might need 2 pieces of ID, though.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
bookofkels
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

I wouldn't be bothered with travellers cheques,more hassel than there worth anytime i have used them before, but thats just me!

For my upcoming trip i've opened a bank account in Oz, which will be really handy for me to wire the money into before i go, only problem is that the ATM card will be waiting for me in Sydney, see i won't be in Sydney till the end of my trip so fat lot of good that will do me, hopefully they will email me back soon to tell me its now in Perth, cos i ain't wiring money till i know i have an Oz ATM card.

If it comes to it i'll just have a small amount of cash on me and use my ATM card from home, but it will cost me £1.50 each time i use it so i'd rather not.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
BelfastFlyer
celebrating jacks b-day!

Quote:
Originally posted by bookofkels@Mar 20 2006, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't be bothered with travellers cheques,more hassel than there worth anytime i have used them before, but thats just me!

For my upcoming trip i've opened a bank account in Oz, which will be really handy for me to wire the money into before i go, only problem is that the ATM card will be waiting for me in Sydney, see i won't be in Sydney till the end of my trip so fat lot of good that will do me, hopefully they will email me back soon to tell me its now in Perth, cos i ain't wiring money till i know i have an Oz ATM card.

If it comes to it i'll just have a small amount of cash on me and use my ATM card from home, but it will cost me £1.50 each time i use it so i'd rather not.
[snapback]107702[/snapback]

chum, you shoulda opened a nationwide account! It's free to withdraw abroad, thats what I'm using and their credit card is hand as well.
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I didn't even think you could still get traveler's cheques - I haven't used 'em for 15 years...

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I stay away from Travellers checks too....I was with a friend the other day and he was trying to cash one at a couple places. All of them were trying to charge a "cashing fee"....Those shifty Dominicans....

Anyway, I always just have cash and my visa (for emergencies)

Travellers checks just seem like more of a pain in the butt than convenience.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Marcus Nappy
TPunk Moderator

Umm. when you say "cash", is it our currency or in the foreign currency? And do I need a special kind of visa card? Is it really accepted everywhere?!
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

i have only had my visa debit card declined twice at an ATM...once in belgrade for some unknown reason and once in moscow bc the system at home was down...think about it...during the day in europe most people in the states are fast asleep so its the perfect time to do system maintenance

anyway don't wait till you're out of cash (like me all the time hehe) to go to the ATM that way if it declines you you're not up the creek w/o a paddle
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
haraamzadaa

Always good to spread your risk also can be used in the USA as cash interchangebly (my experience). The problems occure when you leave the USA, you get a miserable exchange rate. These days pre-paid credit cards like Caxton-FX etc offer the same sort of protection (i.e. if you lose them or get stolen you can get replacement). This makes it easier as you dont have to take note of cheque numbers. However always good to have a small amount amongst various credit and debit cards and cash so you spread the risk.
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
haraamzadaa

I have found a very comprehensive article that discusses how to manage your travel money and spread the risks. It also provides the best buys of Travel Debit and Credit Cards for the uk market and explains all those hidden charges the banks charge. Have a look at the link previous and let me know what you think. Seems pretty comprehensive to me.
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote