Worldwide Food & Drink specialties (where you live or where you've been) - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #41
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Mar 29 2006, 08:55 AM
you know what if you put me up for a couple of days i would be happy to cook you a traditional English roast*
[snapback]109478[/snapback]
Briley, I love you more and more everyday

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #42
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

oh my...well this is certainly a love hate relationship after officially declaring me dead in the other post ha ha!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #43
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Mar 30 2006, 01:42 AM
oh my...well this is certainly a love hate relationship after officially declaring me dead in the other post ha ha!
[snapback]109611[/snapback]
I couldn't hate you for long....especially not if you're going to cook for me

Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #44
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

I was reading my original post in this thread and realized its time for an update on the food in Seattle (that I like)...

Seattle has great asian food, especially Thai and Indian food including all kinds of fusion food. I had the best fusion vegitarian sushi (I'm allerigic to fish) last week - it was unbelievable. I think the best new foods I have eaten here though are the vegitarian dishes. Though I am not a vegitarian (yet), the vegitarian food is often the best on the menu! Microbrews (beer) and coffee are the obvious staples here as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #45
Joker
You want fries with that?

Holy old topics, Batman!

I'll add something to the list from a while back:

the soda in Fortuna Central that is open 24 hours in Costa Rica. Best deep-fried burger I've ever had.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #46
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

Portland is similar to Seattle, great salmon and seafood and of course, beer. We have a TON of microbrews here. We are also known for our hazelnuts. But mostly what sticks out in my mind is our wonderful beer, Widmer, Bridgeport and Full Sail all started here, I believe and we have a bunch of local breweries that are awesome

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #47
Joker
You want fries with that?

Delaney, I'll add the Voodoo Donuts. I'm determined to make it out there to eat a maple-glazed donut topped with bacon. :D

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #48
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I'm gonna elaborate on my reponse to this months ago, because I was pretty vague.

---

Brazil

Doce de leite (dulce de leche)--Flor covered it, but I'm just going to inculcate this even further: IT'S AMAZING.

pastel -- basically an empanada with a lighter crust. it's usually filled with meat or cheese. it's very crisp and airy, since the pastry thing puffs up when you fry em.

cochina -- it's this doughy, egg shaped fried food with shredded chicken with spices in the middle. i don't know how to describe the dough without making it sound incredibly weird, but basically, it kind of stick to your teeth.

picanha! -- a rump cover steak. Brazilians think of this part as the best of the cow, but in the U.S. it's divided with other cuts (link has more info on it). Usually we grill it with sal grosso (thick sea salt), until the fat get kind of crispy.

goiaba (guava)-

Guarana (the soda)- It's made from the guarana fruit, and you can find Antartica Guarana in stores like Costco (and I think my mom saw them at BJ's too). It's fruity with a grape-ish aftertaste. The berry itself has a lot more caffiene than one coffee bean, so they use Guarana in a lot of energy drinks. The soda might as well be an energy drink, really.

acaraje (shrimp with spices and in this dough thing thats fried.... yumyumyummmmm) -- the dough is black eyed pea dough fried in palm oil. wikipedia says theyre stuffed with pastes and whatnot, but whenever i bought them in Bahia she put pastes, hot sauces and actual shrimps (though they were tiny tiny tiny shrimps that still had their shells on; but they were so small you couldn't take their shells of--so you didn't).

rice and beans -- I eat this EVERY SINGLE DAY. it's a staple in every brazilian almoco (big lunch).

Acaraje has got to be the number one thing i miss the most

This made me SO hungry.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)

Last edited by juliagulia; 01-20-2007 at 08:43 PM.
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #49
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Delaney, I'll add the Voodoo Donuts. I'm determined to make it out there to eat a maple-glazed donut topped with bacon.
haha Joker, my roommates sister got married there last year!! They do weddings!.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #50
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

julia that all sounds so good...can I eat at your house?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #51
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

Joker-- Thanks for the add Voodoo is obviously famous in Ptld, but I had no idea people from elsewhere knew about it! If you ever make it out here let me know, I love showing off my city.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #52
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Haha, if you find yourself in Baltimore, I'll pull some strings

This thread makes my pepperoni pizza look very very bad right now

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #53
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

to add to the brazilian menu I have to say
Carne-de-sol

Carne de sol (Portuguese for "sun beef"), also called jabá is a dish from northeastern Brazil. It consists of heavily salted beef, which is exposed to the sun for one or two days to cure.
Carne de sol is sometimes fried and served as a hamburger, or baked in the oven with cream or, more traditionally, prepared as paçoca.
Its origin is attributed to the Sertanejos (people who live in the hinterland), who developed the recipe to preserve meat. Today, the dish can be found in almost all the states of the northeast region of Brazil, and in restaurants all across the country.

and julia what is the name for that root that make into french fries that are so much better than potatoes.... Those two combined make an amazing meal.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #54
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Jake, I think I know what you're talking about, but I have no idea what the name is. I'll make sure to ask my mom though...

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing; what's the colour?

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #55
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

potato color.... lol.... I didn't realize they weren't french fries for awhile. I just thought they were made different or something. They much much more texture than a potato would. much denser.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #56
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE
Default Cape Cod

I grew up on Cape Cod. JFK and Patty Page made Cape Cod famous.

The Cape Cod & the Islands are famous for their fish and shellfish. You can get everything from Halibut to Oysters and Scallops. Great place to go fishing too. We have wonderful beaches.

My summertime treat is a fried clam roll with french fries, onion rings, and a nice cold beer.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #57
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
potato color.... lol.... I didn't realize they weren't french fries for awhile. I just thought they were made different or something. They much much more texture than a potato would. much denser.
haha.. yeaaaah then we're not talking about the same thing. I asked my mom, but it was about what I'm talking about. I'll ask her again, though.

EDIT:

Oh gosh, I just asked my mom, and I felt so stupid. I didn't realize what she said was a root.

It's most likely yuca (or, in Portuguese, mandioca, aipim, or macaxeira [depending where you ate it]).

It's very starchy and when cooked, does have a lot of similarities with potatoes.

Quote:
The soft-boiled root has a delicate flavor and can replace boiled potatoes in many uses: as an accompaniment for meat dishes made into purées, dumplings and gnocchi, soups, stews, gravies, etc.. Deep fried (after boiling or steaming), it can replace fried potatoes, with a distinctive flavor.

This is mandioca before it's cooked or peeled.

This is probably what you ate. If it is, you're right, it goes great with carne de sol. In Bahia that was one of the first things my cousins got me and my sisters to eat at this restaurant. But there was this other vegetable with it too... I'll look it up later.

Next up!

Poland (February!)

Last edited by juliagulia; 01-27-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: to answer question
Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #58
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

macaxeira

that's what i was looking for. Thanks! I miss that stuff. That meal was sooo salty but i ate it almost everyday in Fortaleza. Soooo tasty.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #59
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
macaxeira

that's what i was looking for. Thanks! I miss that stuff.
Oh, wow, I just put that there just in case. I've only ever heard it be called mandioca and aipim (and only aipim 'cause my aunt's kind of old-fashioned).

I'm glad I could be of help!

If you want to recreate it, you can usually find frozen macaxeira in stores that sell Spanish/Latin or Asian foods, but they'll more than likely be called yuca.

Here's a link to a pretty simple recipe (but it seem's it's for fresh mandioca). I'm pretty sure if you were to use the frozen variety, you would just place it in water until they're tender again (they spoil easily when they're not in water, sort of like potatoes).

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #60
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Whatever that stuff is, I want to try it. Have you agreed on the name of that stuff? Let me know.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote