Bed Bugs... - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 AM   #21
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Good thread This is something that i hadn't even considered, well there's another thing i'll have to add to my list of things to do before i go...man, this list of mine seems to be getting longer and longer as time gets shorter and shorter
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 AM   #22
Gumby
Members

Hi guys,

I´m sure this is going to disgust a few people but I need an answer. I may possible have bed bugs at the moment. The pharmacist seems to think it´s more of an allergic reaction to some thing I ate but my upper half of my body is absolutely covered in itchy, red bite-type marks. This is particularly prevalent around my neck, face and scalp and it is frickin´horrible. I have starting antihistamines this morning, I have washed and washed my clothes in case they are bed bugs but the marks just keep on coming. And they are move like blisters. I feel like the Elephant Man. I have only 1 week left before I go home and tomorrow I am supposed to head to Burgos. Madrid has been a bit of a waste on me - I got to the Reina Sofia museum and today was supposed to be the Prado but I guess these things happen when you are travelling.

Canadian Dude, did your bites look like blisters or really bad yellow zits.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #23
darkvelveteyes
Members

Location: all over for who knows how long... but nyc for the moment
Send a message via Yahoo to darkvelveteyes

dude, that sounds like impetigo or shingles.
you should see a doctor.

href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>[/IMG]
darkvelveteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #24
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

holy shit! impedigo or shingles?!!! how the hell would he have contracted these?!!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #25
pink_floyd
Members

shingles is a virus dummie and yuou get enfatigo from touching dead animals.. its most likely lice .. probably the crabbies ... if it were scabies it takes two weeks to infest you cause they are under your skin.. its probably crabbies. you gotta wash all your clothes in flea dip. i got the crabbies in seattle once .. it sucks... especially if your backpacking, but it beats the facial herps !!!!

pink_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #26
Sabrosa
TPunk Recognized

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! I've been a very good girl most of my life....
I don't want any of the above.... (if there is a God....spare me...PLEEEASE)

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 AM   #27
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Seriously! This forum makes me itch.... Thanks for the tip about enfatigo pink. I had better cut down on my carcass hugging....
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #28
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Thats so siff!!!! Im definitly gonna check my bed.
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #29
freespiritz
always trippin'

This reminds me of my little encounter with the nasties. I picked them up at a little hostel in New York (Bowery Whitehouse Hostel to be precise, so watch out if you're there!). The first night there the boy that I was traveling with woke up because bugs were crawling all over him. The bites showed up pretty soon after, and mine popped up a few days later. We did have our own seperate rooms. It was hellish. Hundreds of red welts all over my legs and back, and they itched like crazy!! It drove me nuts, especially when I was roadtripping through Canada - and those bites take WAY long to heal.

I spent lots of time dousing myself with calamine lotion, and also tried putting hydrocortisone cream on the bites.

Even better, I apparently packed a few of the critters with me to Maine because I kept getting bites two, three weeks later. The health center was pretty useless - I had to diagnose myself, and they gave me some cream that was intended for mites or something. Anyway, I bought bugspray and fumigated my room like crazy and ran my bedding through the laundry, and things cleared up after that - thank God, because I would NOT have wanted to be responsible for a campus-wide infestation!

Bedbugs often bite in a row of three linear marks - breakfast, lunch and dinner, they say.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #30
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I think I got a mild dose of those in China one time. I woke up one morning with 7 or 8 welts running down my forearm. They took awhile to go away, but there were no repeat occurrences. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #31
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Here's a beauty from my stay in London.... the apartment we stayed at was infested with them, I'm lucky I discovered them in the afternoon!

bug.JPG
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #32
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritz View Post
Even better, I apparently packed a few of the critters with me to Maine because I kept getting bites two, three weeks later.
Yes, they can get in your luggage and spread with you.

Also, it's rumored that there may be a new disease called "Morge11ons" that is spread by bedbugs...
http://travelpunk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10285

So, do be careful out there!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #33
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

bloody hell i thought bed bugs were fictional things that your parents warned you about.

mind you i thought earwigs were fictional unil my mate showed me one

will keep an eye out for these things...
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #34
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

I've had a seriously hideous case of Bed Bugs, got em in Costa Rica, they infested my sleeping bag and I woke up bitten to heck. like totally covered. I had to not use my sleeping bag for the rest of the trip and left it out in -20 weather for two weeks when I got home to kill em.

soooo gross though.. I could actually see them if I whipped the cover back really quick.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #35
RobertoG

I had a horror experience with these things in New York. We stayed in a hotel called Hotel Fresh. Do not go there!! Infected with bed bugs. I got 56 bites and developed a bug bite allergy thanks to them. It was sooo itchy and painful. It was really horrible. :-(((
RobertoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
louise92

I think I got bitten by bed bugs at home! I had two bites that look very much like what I've seen when looking up pictures of the bites.

My boyfriend however (who sleeps in the same bed) doesn't have any bites.

Does this mean it's probably not bed bugs, or just that I'm much more bitable than him?!

I don't want bed bugs in my home!!!
louise92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #37
louise92

I think I got bitten by bed bugs at home! I had two bites that look very much like what I've seen when looking up pictures of the bites.

My boyfriend however (who sleeps in the same bed) doesn't have any bites.

Does this mean it's probably not bed bugs, or just that I'm much more bitable than him?!

I don't want bed bugs in my home!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Sorry.... But if it was bedbugs... You would have WAY more bites... Probably just a spider....
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #39
louise92

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
Sorry.... But if it was bedbugs... You would have WAY more bites... Probably just a spider....
What are you sorry for?! I'm not sorry if it's not bed bugs!

Are you sure I'd have loads of bites though? If the infestation isn't very bad (at the moment) wouldn't it be normal to just have one or two?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

In my years of traveling, Ive never met anyone with just couple of bedbug bites... Cross your fingers, those bugs are hard to get rid of if it is indeed bedbugs....