What is your favorite ethnic food??? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #21
byler
Members

Send a message via AIM to byler

I've always wated to try paella, and also chorizos with the hot chocolate in Spain... it always looked good in spanish text books haha
byler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #22
Joker
You want fries with that?

katdawg--

Pho is one of my favorite dishes! there is a place near my culinary school that does beef or chicken pho, the bean sprouts topped with chiles, and an egg roll for $5!!! So friggin good! (and its pronounced "faa...")

Pad Thai is always a favorite, as well.

Growing up with an Italian mom, you can imagine that I love that stuff, as well. Can't get enough manicotti, osso bucco, or calamari!

As for other nationalities, I've had lamb shwarma at a Lebanese place. Great stuff. Souvlaki is the bomb. And Tahini... oh man....

Surprisingly, none of you has said French yet... Escargots in garlic butter, fois gras, pate de campagne, duck confit, or Bouef Bourgienon... so good...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:02 AM   #23
Magnifico
Members

There's a Mexican deli by my house that has these sandwiches that are egg and chorizo with huge ass slices of jalapeno peppers, and they're totally to die for.

As for mediterranean food, I can't get enough of the stuff. Especially dolmas, moussaka, and falafel.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #24
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Hummus and falafel

and i love cheese and vegemite sarnies MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #25
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Hmmm, can't decide one! I love homemade lefse (Nowegian) but haven't been brave enough to try Lutefisk (just started eating seafood a few months ago). My husband's mom makes Pierogi to DIE FOR! She learned from her mom who moved here from Poland. Kimshi (Korean) totally floats my boat. It's sooo yummy.

As for ethnic foods as a whole - the best food I ever ate was in Germany. Yummmm.

I love mediterranean food.

Ya know, I haven't tried sushi/Japanese. Again, just started eating fish and there is no good place around here to get it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #26
Wyzfen
TPunk Recognized

mmm. vegemite. yum. not sure i want to try a vegemite and onion sandwich like a friend wants me to tho.

Favourites are Yiros (and all mediteranean foods) and mexican food. Actually my all time favourite is a combination of two favourites - yiros meat with garlic and chilli sauce on a bed of chips.

And just cos i cant help but be pedantic, a vomitorium isnt what you think it is AdamTheCultured - its no where near as interesting as the name implies
Wyzfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #27
glorious_day
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to glorious_day

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamTheCultured@Nov 26 2003, 09:07 AM
felafel, hummus, dolmas, tabouli, the baklavas, manakeesh - all that stuff.

duuuuuude! falafel sandwiches are the best. the BEST! man, what is it with the mediterranean/greek/indian food? it's most definately the most orgasmic of orgasm foods (to me, that is). there's this little international food market here that sells middle eastern fare out of its ghetto-ass kitchen and even though i'm always the only white person there and they look at me funny everytime i go in i can't get enough of the place. ahhhhhhhh.....food=bliss

"don't get sentimental.... it always ends up drivel"
-the always hot and appropriately cynical Thom Yorke
glorious_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #28
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Any of y'all who're ever in San Francisco have to go to Truly Mediterranean in the Mission District. It's this tiny stand of a place, reminiscent of the many kebab joints in Europe, but they're rated among Zagat's top restaurants in the whole damn country. The Falafel Deluxe is to die for: Lavash bread smeared w/ hot sauce, filled w/ falafels, fried potatoes, eggplant, etc. and dressed with tahini, then wrapped up and grilled for a few minutes... and all for just about six bucks!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #29
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

yea Mediterranean food rocks! Hell, I even just miss all the good cheese, bread and wine that I used to eat while I was living in that area of the world!

As for food I can't stand...in my few months in Belize I ate so many freak'n beans!!! I was eating them two or three times a day (yea, just image the gas). I don't think I'll be able to eat beans for quite some time!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 AM   #30
Ryder
Members

wow guys, such little mention of indian food!!

my favorite is ANYTHING indian!!! they have the best food ever!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #31
omisan
Minister of Offense

Indian food rocks! Another SF recommendation for you visitors - Naan N Curry (several locations, but nothing beats the original dive in the crackhead neighborhood downtown) - best damn Chicken Tikka Masala this side of Punjab, all for about $5 a person

Old 03-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #32
Pepin_151
Members

Send a message via MSN to Pepin_151 Send a message via Yahoo to Pepin_151

if beer counts? then I'm going with Lowenbrau from Germany.It's like a meal in itself

I'm powered by Winegums,mmmm winegum
Pepin_151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #33
jabad17
TPunk Recognized

enchiladas from mexico. with a nice slab of carne asada on the side. some hot tortillas and aguacate. ayy, mamacita! yo quiero regresar!

USA, Canada, Mexico, England, France, Italy, Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Chile.
jabad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #34
omisan
Minister of Offense

Isn't Lowenbrau brewed by Miller using imported ingredients?

Ah, wait, never mind - here's the skinny on Lowenbrau... interesting...

Speaking of Mexican food - fresh tamales from the tamale lady - well, ANY tamale lady in the barrio. Mmm mmm good!

Old 03-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #35
shonsta
Members

Send a message via AIM to shonsta Send a message via MSN to shonsta Send a message via Yahoo to shonsta

anything mexican and spicy all the way, and italian is damn good too, especially supasata (sp?). But what I miss the most from home is the vegetarian sub from Quizno's. Europe definitely needs Quznos.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #36
Pepin_151
Members

Send a message via MSN to Pepin_151 Send a message via Yahoo to Pepin_151

I'm all about the artery clogging,heart stopping poutine from Quebec in Canada.Nothing beats crisp fries cheese curds and gravy

I'm powered by Winegums,mmmm winegum
Pepin_151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #37
omisan
Minister of Offense

I just tried Ethiopian food for the first time last night... MMMmmMMm yummy! Of course, I've had to crap about 12 times since then, but the experience was worth it.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #38
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

mmmmm ive been craving good indian food for the past month. I had some shit 2 weeks ago....but it was cold and that's def NOT how the food is supposed to come

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #39
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Pepin - they have cheese curds in Canada???? Sorry - but I live in Wisconsin and some of my family now lives in TN and they jones all the time for curds cuz ya can't get em (fried or fresh) there. I just thought WI was that special.

Ugh, last time I ate African food I puked - a lot. It was so yummy when I ate it and now I can't even think about it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #40
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 4 2005, 11:40 PM
Pepin - they have cheese curds in Canada???? Sorry - but I live in Wisconsin and some of my family now lives in TN and they jones all the time for curds cuz ya can't get em (fried or fresh) there. I just thought WI was that special.* *
Of course we have cheese curds! They're just not as popular in most of Canada as they are in the US, but in Quebec they most definitely have cheese curds......fresh (never heard of fried....) and on poutines

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote