How to avoid paranoia during the backpacking trip. - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to rockababes Send a message via Yahoo to rockababes

I'm now reading the book. I am learning a lot from it, I have lots of decisions made under stress in the past, so far I have no regrets...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #22
TPunk Moderator

before I went on my first solo trip (ha and even subsequent ones) people told me such bullshittttttttttttte like i was gonna get raped or kidnapped and sold into the sex trade

what makes it even more of a joke is that this was coming from people who had barely left their own small town, much less gone overseas

like everyone has said, trust your own instincts and common/life sense

all will be fine
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

As long as you are smart and aware, you will be totally fine. Do research about the cities you plan to visit and just make sure you know what to expect. I can guarantee that none of the hostels I've stayed at are anything like the ones seen in the Hostel movies. You definitely get huge props for visiting someplace other than Europe for your first backpacking trip by yourself! I've only done Europe, but sometimes I feel like that's the safe choice. Everyone else is completely right when they say most people that are warning you about all the dangers have never stepped foot outside of their own country. Have an awesome time!

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #24

In my exerience the best thing you can do to settle yourself, is to find your hostel, check in and ask your room mates (if they are 'home') if they want to go for a drink.

If they aren't 'home', go to the hostel bar and ask if you can join a group for a drink. It put's your mind at ease and you can ask questions about the place you're visiting, as they will probably have been there a few days already.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool NO Worries RELAX- SMILE & LAUGH

Two ways of relaxing your FEARS and ANXIETY is to SMILE, LAUGH and develop your own one-liners which help reduce stress; a couple of mine are, "Time will Tell" and "It's ONLY Money" . Of course women who travel alone need to to be a bit more practical and wise when choosing who to hook up with and socialize with while living "life on the road". I saw that HOSTEL MOVIE 2 years ago and though I sort of liked the movie I also HATED the FEAR it propagated especially toward women. REMIND yourself that the Western Nations in North America and Europe do NOT really like their citizens traveling abroad and prefer to brainwash them with FEAR so they keep shopping and running up credit card debt. The " I OWE I OWE so Off to Work I Go" lifestyle in the "West" has lead to its downfall with this worldwide recession / depression as evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockababes View Post
So how do you avoid being paranoid and just focus on sucking the travel experience?

I'm ready to go backpacking in SE Asia next month, excited and scared. This is my first time and I don't really want to get carried away by those people around me who keep on giving me warnings trying to scare me and all that.

For those ladies who have traveled alone? How did you deal with the feeling of being alone far away from your home?I'm kinda imagining that kind of feeling when I won't be able to sleep, you know being miles away and don't know anyone.

I've just watched this Hostel movie Part 1 and 2, kinda scary but It's just a movie. Someone told me it's based on a true story.

Your thoughts?
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #26
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBill View Post
REMIND yourself that the Western Nations in North America and Europe do NOT really like their citizens traveling abroad and prefer to brainwash them with FEAR so they keep shopping and running up credit card debt. The " I OWE I OWE so Off to Work I Go" lifestyle in the "West" has lead to its downfall with this worldwide recession / depression as evidence.
I wouldn't say that's as true in Europe, The EU encourages travel within Europe with the common currency and the ability to work in some other countries. There's also been a strong tradition of immigration in many of the poorer counties. Despite Irelands economic boom we still had a tradition of leaving the country. Allot of people I know have lived in another country (usually Australia, the UK or the US) and everyone I know has left the country at least once and the older generation will always tell you to get out while you still can. Most Europeans have family living in another country, half my family lives in the UK and US and we travel between each other constantly.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #27
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Philbill I don't think you could be more wrong.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to rockababes Send a message via Yahoo to rockababes
Default Thanks for all of these replies. 2 years ago, I did it alone!

I'm sorry to revive this thread, it's kinda nostalgic reading all your advices. I remember this feeling of being scared and all that, this was the time I'm seeking comfort from like-minded individuals.

It was a great experience, and then yeah at the beginning I was scared but I made it.

Good times to share with ya all!

Fought with a Lao border officer, when I was going to Cambodia. Just because I thought I'm being cheated about the stamp charge. It ended up they were right. Shame.

Hitchked with a Lao Family and Monks from Lao to Cambodia, because I missed the Bus.

Got lost in Phuket Town in the wee hours of the morning, can't get to Patong beach that time, met french travelers who helped me. We all look for a place to stay.

Surfing couches, really nice couchsrufing hosts who showed me around in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.

Camped (First time camping) beside the river of northern Lao provincial highway at night, with my host. I was so scared. No lights, just the stars.

Hitchhiked From Thailand to Lao Border.

I'm gonna do this again, hopefully in Europe...

check out my cs profile.

CouchSurfing - Karen C.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #29

Smile Buried catheter

Well hope so all going good/....How did you deal with the feeling of being alone far away from your home?I'm kinda imagining that kind of feeling when I won't be able to sleep, you know being miles away and don't know anyone.
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote