Solo Euro Trip in Winter! Advice? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > 'Round The World Travel

'Round The World Travel Feel like conquering the world? Give us the run down, your game plan, the strategy...

Spiff is on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default Solo Euro Trip in Winter! Advice?

Soon, I will be a dead broke graduate with an English degree! So of course my goals for the next two years include a whole lot of work and a whole lot of travel! I've been considering working, working, working to save up some money to do a long trip to hit up a few countries in Europe, and after seeing some photos of a friend of mine in Prague and Dresden in the dead of winter I desperately want to travel when it's snowy and gray, if only for the gorgeous photos!

This would happen in winter 2009, most likely. So, here's a possible itinerary, more like a list of some countries/cities I'd like to see. I made this list tracking a route on my world map shower curtain!

Fly out of: Louisville (or Chicago/Cincinnati/Nashville)
London
-Paris
-Belgium
-Amsterdam
(those three might be reordered... depending on how I move around)
-Germany
-Czech Republic
-Possibly Poland/Austria/Hungary
-Romania or Ukraine (not sure about these, but have for some reason gotten an interest in them)

or I could move around Amsterdam-Eastern Europe back around through Switzerland, Southern France and into Spain.

Planning on maybe doing 2-3 months of travel. Also, have an interest in being in the Czech for Christmas, I've heard it's beautiful. Though my parents will probably guilt trip me out of disappearing during the holidays, even for a year!

And now for the advice bit:

What countries do you think are absolute must sees in the winter?
What areas would you want to avoid in winter?
And what month is the best time to leave? Late fall- Holidays? Or after the holidays and into early spring?

Anything else to keep in mind about winter travel?
How much would you expect to spend for this amount of time?

This might be a long, broad question... I'm just brainstorming at this point... and trying to figure out how much to save up over the next year!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I have absoloutly nothing of value to say, except that I want a World Map shower curtain!!!!!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

^^ I've never traveled offseason and haven't made it to many of those cities yet, so I don't have much to say other than good luck with the planning!

I loved Paris, and I'm sure it would be nice during the winter time with smaller crowds.

For Germany, I don't know what attractions are open in the offseason, but I know in the Bavaria region there are tons of cool old castles that I saw in guidebooks, and I think it would be amazing to see those covered in snow if you get lucky!

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

A few years ago I was in Germany in December. Cologne to be exact. What a great time I had. All thru out Cologne they have these xmas markets set up. Basically ppl hang out and eat Bratwurst, gingerbread and drink Gluhwein (mulled wine). It's so much fun and really gets you into the festive mood. Highly recommended.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish99 View Post
I have absoloutly nothing of value to say, except that I want a World Map shower curtain!!!!!
I love it, I can plan out trips and study my geography whenever I'm on the toilet... that's probably TMI!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

i did england and holland last january. weatherwise, it wasn't too bad. definately warmer than new england or canada but certainly colder than kentucky. in terms of stuff to do... well there was plenty going on and it had a less touristy feel. also, hostels were much cheaper being the offseason. another perk (or not, depending on how you look at it) is that most of my hostelmates were from other parts of europe. i experienced very few other north americans.

granted, i wasn't really doing the touristy thing (museums etc.) i was more just visiting friends by day and going out drinking at night but i would certainly do it again in the winter.

hope this helps. btw...holland in wintertime=great, hardy, bar food for cheap!

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote