What do you carry in your pack? - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #41
jorgino

Are there laundryshops all over Europe? Or you have to hunt for them?
jorgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #42
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd

Wow, this is an ancient thread.

To toss in another .02, yea ditch the jeans for cargos. And one annoying thing about Leathermans is that most don't have corkscrews. Otherwise, they're awesome. But, keep that in mind if you ever plan on popping some corks abroad.

And, there is laundry at many hostels. Except, you may have to fight for them if they're packed.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:05 PM   #43
jorgino

Are the airports kinda touchy about the leathermans????
Old 10-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #44
jorgino

it can be ancient but I'm glad I found this one, it's full of wonderful info.... (you actually contributed quite a bit here) thanks!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:36 AM   #45
Syirous

Arrow

I only pack what I need...... 3 UFO pants, 3 Tee Shirts, 6 socks, Laptop (which has all my music, pic's, video's and other info I may need backed up).
soap, toothbrush, razor or ywo and other small stuff (pocket knife, fire, ect..)
Old 12-27-2004, 09:35 PM   #46
hinrgresonance
Members

Send a message via AIM to hinrgresonance

i wouldn't be able to survive without my camera, tampons, soap (lots) and toothbrush/paste.
make that two tooth brushes... maybe three- just incase.
it is absolutely horrible to be stuck in a UN meeting, debating with a man from Poland, without brushing your teeth.
horrible.
hinrgresonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #47
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Long weekend trips to Paris, Prague, Munich (since I live in Germany already):

Get away from jeans and sneakers. Tailor your clothing to be respectful, and blend into your surroundings.

-Two pairs of dark pants (either charcoal or black)
-white blouse (try rayon or some other less likely to get wrinkled material)
-Pull overs that are neutral in colors (simple tops that can get worn with different bottoms)
-skirts that are below the knee (most church, mosques, cathedrals, temples... so forth... will not let you in if your don't look respectable)
-light weight sweater or cardigan
-bathing suit (I have been to plenty of places that were cheaper in Germany and had great pools with the hotel)
-thongs (sorry ladies, but the average parisian beauty would hate to be seen in public with half moons crawling up her cheeks in slacks)
-stockings (durable ones... Victoria's Secret has the best thigh highs and stockings... they're pricey but they last forever. The best part being that you can wash them in the sink with a little shampoo, hang them up, and they'll be dry in no time)
-comfy bras with removable padding (take the pads out, stuff some emergency cash in- take that money belt thiefs!)
-slinky tops (small, easy to pack, and nice to wear to clubs in Prague with those dark pants)
-one pair black leather flats (or kitten heals), one pair strappy sandles (for those slinky tops and dark pants), or along those lines (unless you really plan on walking... get a good pair of nice hiking boots... your feet require you to splurge, trust the soldier on this one)
-small alarm clock
-little sewing kit with a couple of spare buttons
-medication in a smaller container (bring enough for two days extra- just in case you get held over somewhere), aspirin for hangover (young Chianti'll do that to you), immodium AD (sometimes you'll love a great dish, but your intestines will think differently)
-going some place with less than reputable water... iodine tablets (yuck, but small and easy to pack) or water purification tablets available at outdoors' stores

For going out sightseeing during the day:
-easy to sling bag with enough room for trinkets you might buy and don't want to lug and make it blatently obvious your solo tourist
-tissues (sniffles come and go, but bathrooms with no toilet paper in Prague are forever)
-small pad and pen (for notes)
-good digital camera with plenty of spare memory sticks (just in case)
-plastic baggies (just in case it rains and you need to keep that good digital camera dry)
-band aids (you never know when that raw spot from your shoes rubbing will be the one thing that makes your walk up the Ober Salzburg to the Eagles Nest uncomfortable- remember Easy Company did it in combat worn jump boots... but your walking shoes didn't spend time in a water- filled fox hole in the Bastogne)
-MP3 player (plenty of spare AAA batteries)
-passport, immunization card, international drivers license in a zip lock bag
-little bottle of that hand sanitizer stuff
-sunglasses that you don't mind if they get left on a table in a cafe, sat on in pew in Sacre Cour (yep, been there, done that), or stolen

When I go anywhere for longer than a weekend, I ante up for a nicer place that I can be assured of locking up my stuff. Since I am employed and have a little extra cash, security while you're a chick all alone is worth it. Watch the jewlery you bring. It makes you a target. Anything you really love should be left securely at home.

PS. Condoms, very important... latex, because a lot of European drug stores only have lambskin (which might not prevent all STDs and not nearly as durable)

PPS. OB is the most popular in Europe for tampons- if you can without an applicator, great. If not, bring your own. By the way, they can get expensive.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #48
Andy47150
Members

Note to self: Pack a leatherman
Russian cops do not like jokes
Andy47150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 AM   #49
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Here's one that I didn't think of until now. A Sharpie. I'm staying in lots of hostels and it would be nice to have sharpie for marking food, either claiming it, or announcing that it's up for grabs. Oh yeah, and don't bother trying to find hostels for portugal on the internet. The only place that I have been able to use it was Lagos. The Rising Cock hostel is pretty nice.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #50
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

^Yeah its pretty much the pousada hostels (YHA's) in portugal. Quite often the best bet here is to hit the tourist office and see what they can offer you, sometimes it can be cheaper than the hostel. For example in Lisboa they got me and my travel buddy a twin share right next to Rossi square for 10e each.

ev
Old 01-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #51
mace24
Members

Send a message via AIM to mace24

If its one thing I hate when im on a back packing trip its rain so I pack a tarp and some rope to rig a canopy, its a little bit of extra wieght but its worth it when its pouring and you still need to set up camp. For pants I typically go for cargos with the zip off leggings, these double as pants and shorts plus a good light weight pair will dry quickly if they get wet, jeans tend to dry alot slower. I also put all of my clothes into the 2 gallon zip lock bags so they dont get wet because weight clothes is just dead weight! I also find that the best lights are led head lamps, this keeps you hands free and the battery liffe is langer than hell.
mace24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #52
Deadguy
Members

i guess im a traveling light!

5 T shirts
jeans, kakis and shorts
5 underware
5 socks
long johns
1 sweater
jacket
filson tin cloth windfowl hat
travel towel, if i can find one!

digital camera
eurail map
Maps of the areas I will staying in, with surrounding bars and breweries identified
three books
a few pages from some travel guides

toothbrush
toothpast
small bottle of mouthwash
floss
tonge scraper
dr bronners soap
condoms
wash cloth

and thats all i can remember
I'll most likely forget something when i leave next week
Deadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #53
PlayPal
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

I´m a month and a half into my trip through portugal and spain, and I´ve been ditching stuff the whole time. I´m down to an extra shoe and a jar of mayonaise. The rest is just extra weight.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #54
Elixir
Members

Send a message via AIM to Elixir Send a message via Yahoo to Elixir

i am gonna do a lot of hiking and camping, would it be worthwhile to buy a cheap and light weight hammock? it sounds like it would be easier to cart around than a friggen tent!!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #55
caterpillarsgirl
Members

Send a message via AIM to caterpillarsgirl

A couple of things in my first aid kit that haven't been mentioned:

Arnica gel (helps prevent bruising and relieves aching muscles, also great in a trauma situation to keep muscles from locking up around a wound)
Calendula (works on sunburn as well as aloe vera, but also takes care of a lot of other skin conditions)

I like to expand on my first aid kit and make it a "preventative care" kit as well.

Multi-vitamin (a one daily is hassle-free)
Melatonin (a natural sleeping aid)
Kava Kava (muscle relaxer)
Massage tool (a small one takes up almost no room, and is a godsend if you have someone to use it on your aching calves and back after a long days' exploration!)
Energy supplement (like bee-pollen)
Beta Glucan (an awesome immune system booster. If you start to come down with something, take it the moment you feel under par, and keep it up 'til you're back to top health. This has helped me a number of times, as well as other people I know with less than indestructable immune systems!)

Also, I'll be travelling with my boyfriend who is taking his iPod, and we got headphone splitters so that we could both enjoy it!

caterpillarsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #56
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

For girls I think a great item to have packed is a sarong. It can be used as a long skirt, short skirt, dress, shawl, scarf, shirt, beach/picnic blanket, tablecloth, etc...

It really clears up a pack.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #57
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by NitemareHippieGirl@Jun 21 2005, 05:50 PM
For girls I think a great item to have packed is a sarong. It can be used as a long skirt, short skirt, dress, shawl, scarf, shirt, beach/picnic blanket, tablecloth,* etc...

It really clears up a pack.
yes...i am definitely bringing a sarong, seems to be the handiest thing ppl have mentioned thus far.....there is just something that I have never really been able to figure out: HOW THE HELL DO YOU TIE THE THINGS? (in a skirt form i mean) I always just end up tying the ends together which can really be quite scandalous as it's pretty much completely open along the side......so.....any suggestions?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #58
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Sarong eh? Seems it can be used for absolutely anything. So, what is this magic sarong of which you speak?? Is it just a square piece of material or something???
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #59
mjgeo
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by simply_angelic@Jun 21 2005, 06:18 PM
HOW THE HELL DO YOU TIE THE THINGS? (in a skirt form i mean) I always just end up tying the ends together which can really be quite scandalous as it's pretty much completely open along the side......so.....any suggestions?
Well, I did have one but you seem to have it covered.

"He who strays discovers new paths."
mjgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 AM   #60
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by LostFarmboy@Jun 21 2005, 11:42 PM
Sarong eh? Seems it can be used for absolutely anything. So, what is this magic sarong of which you speak?? Is it just a square piece of material or something???*
yeah, it's a really light material....usually made w/ bright colours & white patterns but you can get them to look like anything really. They're usually sold around the beaches or a helluvalot in places like mexico.....sometimes they have tassles....don't know how else to describe them....but hey, pictures work wonders:

as for tying....I was hoping to tie them more the way that the last girl did....you know, w/ nothing showing so that I can just wear em as a skirt, but not really sure how she did it...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote