traveling with electronics - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
LiveIrie713
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Send a message via Yahoo to LiveIrie713
Cool traveling with electronics

Is it worth it to bring a laptop abroad? I'm addicted to mine and bring it everywhere already. What about a cell phone? Is there a good cell phone provider to take everywhere?
LiveIrie713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
double.exposed

I'm curious about the cellphone bit too!

I know it would be ridiculous for me to bring my laptop because I am too addicted to it and I need to learn how to talk to other people! I'm definitely NOT addicted to cellphones though, but it would be nice to have, instead of depending on phone cards and such (unless phone cards and such are going to be cheaper than the international cellphones I've seen so far...)

As for the laptop.. well, I guess it depends on a lot of things: portability (if it weighs as much as a small pony it is probably not good to bring), likelihood of being in places where there is a chance to charge it and connect to the interwebs, crime and whether it is more likely that your laptop could be stolen from you (or else what you would do to avoid such a thing), and probably a lot of other factors that would play into your decision too!

But if you're a shyling like me, and love the computer for its delicious anonymity, then maybe it would be good to y'know.. cut the cord.. just for a little while? Haha, I typically don't say stuff like that, though, because it's your call! :D
double.exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
LiveIrie713
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Haha, I know what you mean. I can be shy at times too, but if I'm in situations where I need to make aquaintences, if not friends, then I can! I would be much more inclined to use the internet for keeping in touch and finding cool places to go and see and things to do. Not to mention ALLLLL my music.

Are internet cafe's popular accross the pond?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

For most people it is better not to take a laptop. Internet Cafes are very popular... not to mention that frequently the hostel has a few computers.

I took mine with me on a 5 month long trip because of a class and the fact that I was "stationary" for long periods. I am going to Spain for a week on Sunday and I am definitely leaving it at home

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

As far as cell phones go, using an American phone/contract overseas (if you can - you cannot with Veizon for instance) is definitely not cheap. Even the international roaming stuff is pretty expensive.

Now if you can unlock your cellie (and provided its a GSM/tri/quad band phone) you can bring it and use SIM cards for the countries or regions you'll be in.

You can definitely get by fine without one. If you do think you'll need one to make calls in Europe (calling around to hostels, etc) then try to get local SIMs, and if you're just calling your family once to say you arrived safely and you wont use it anymore maybe stay with your current phone/plan.

If you're more specific about what you have I can give you more details.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

laptops are heavy and i have had people try to rob me twice, and my ibook had a nice curve to it it. But I would still bring mine with me just because i like having my own computer.

the new and improved stupidhurts.org

Last edited by c0urt; 01-09-2009 at 05:33 AM.
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I've seen people with laptops in hostels but I'd never bring one with me. To much to worry about. The latest rage seems to be the iphone or itouch. Very handy if you have one.

The vast majority of hostels in Europe have WiFi.

I use vodafone here in Ireland and can take it anywhere and it just switches to the local network. Vodafone would be a major suppler in Europe and with the deal I'm on I pay the local rates of whatever country your in. The EU has also gave the mobile networks a big slap on the wrist about overcharging and roaming fees, I think Roaming fees are gone (I think I posted on this here before) so if you did buy a sim/phone in Europe it would be seriously cheaper than bringing an American phone and you don't have to worry about crossing borders
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
LiveIrie713
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Thumbs up

thanks for the advice! i guess i'm worried about not having my computer and phone because i'm still in the mindset of everything i use on a daily basis here, and feeling lost without it. which is stupid bcause i lived without them for over 17 years!

my laptop isn't that heavy but it is delicate and it would be such a responsibility, making sure no one steals it or messes with it in any way. and what if it breaks...eww.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Thetraveler
Members

As mentioned most hostels have a few computers. I didn't take my laptop with me and in the end I was happy I didn't, it wouldn't have been worth the stress of possibly losing it or pain of being required to carry it everywhere.

Also buy a sim card when you are in Europe. I bring mine with just for texting once in awhile but that is it. I did have to answer it while I was in Poland because I hadn't been able to get ahold of my cousin and for a total of 2 minutes it cost me $12.00 CDN! Yikes!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
skankthenightaway
T-PUNK RANGER

i never travel with electronics because it seems like way too much of a hassle having to deal with the weight of it and all those adaptors and converters. there are internet cafes pretty much everywhere, and a lot of places have wifi as well if you do decide to bring a laptop.
for me part of the fun of travel is being unplugged.

Where I've Been: Belgium, Belize, El Salvador, England, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Scotland, USA

Where I'm Going: currently in Central America!
skankthenightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I also carry my baby (laptop) around everywhere and I've got her with me right now in Europe, and i wouldn't have it any other way

most everything is dual voltage nowadays so you just have to pick up some adapters

its true that most hostels have computers but you may have to wait to use it, or pay...plus you can't do stuff like download music onto your mp3 player
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
LiveIrie713
T-PUNK PRIVATE

So what kind of computer do you have and have you had any scares with stealing or breaking?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Laptops are definitely one of those things that you have to decide whether or not it will enhance your experience...

If I'm going to be stationery for long periods of time, my laptop is the way to go- I like having my mail and photos on my computer, and wifi internet is far more convenient than rentals at an internet café for sure. On the down side, they're bulky, often heavy and prone to getting ripped off. I'd think very carefully about it before bringing my laptop.

My cell phone is the bane of my existence, however, so taking a vacation definitely includes leaving the damned thing at home.

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

My phone goes everywhere with me!! Haha. I usually dont like taking my laptop anywhere just because its heavy and a hassle. But for my 2 month trip to America I feel I might have to. Mainly because as a live in carer when I leave a placement I have to take everything with me...so most of my stuff is going to go into storage. Im not usre I want to leave it in storage. Im goign to be moving around alot so thats the downside, but im very 'trigger' happy with my camera so will be good to put photos on straight away.

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

I've never brought really expensive laptops with me before, and I can definitely say there were times that I wanted them, but I'm not sure it would have made up for the inconvenience.

I would absolutely hate to have my laptop stolen, but they are making these new netbooks that you can buy for $350 or less. They accomplish the most basic tasks, and they are really small and light. I really want one after seeing my friend's and if I ever brought a laptop, I would bring one of these because it would suck to get it stolen, but it's not like it's an $1000 laptop.

I've never brought a phone because I never really saw the point. If I need to, I could use calling cards to call my parents. Last trip, I kept them updated with a blog, so I didn't even call them. The only thing I think phones would be necessary for is if you plan to couchsurf. If someone surfing with me doesn't have a phone, it can make it kind of tough because they can call me from a payphone, but I can't reach them if I need to.

There's pros and cons to each, but I'd think a laptop is a luxury (for me, others will disagree), while a cell phone is maybe more necessary. Everyone else has great tips, and most hostels have security lockers where you can put your things.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Just found this photo pool on Flickr and thought it was appropiate. What's in your bag?
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Manders

Send a message via Yahoo to Manders

I think Rusty and I have found kind of the perfect solution. We bought an unlocked HTC Tilt . It is a smart phone that does anything we would use a laptop for, it edits word and excel doccumetns, stores music, is a GPS, and can access the internet via wifi. It's bulky for a phone, but as a computer its freaken tiny. We are also planning to download skype onto it to use it as a free means of calling home every once in a while. So far I think it's the perfect solution.
Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #18
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Google have a phone out along the same lines in competition with the iPhone.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
c0urt
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveIrie713 View Post
So what kind of computer do you have and have you had any scares with stealing or breaking?

then i was traveling with an ibook, it had a rough life till it finally burned out. they are good about converters, apple sells a set and i could charge my camera off my computer.

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote