single white female in S. Afrca - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Africa
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Africa Wilderness with a capital W ! Paradise like landscapes, the Kilimandjaro and the Nile, huts and victorian architecture. Africa is a crossroads of civilizations, the land before time.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
chacmool16
Members

Send a message via AIM to chacmool16
Hey- All. Haven't been around in a while. I backpacked Europe about a year ago and loved it. I'm getting the travel itch again and I was thinking South Africa for something different. I know nothing about it. Are there hostels there? is it safe to backpack alone like it is in Europe (I'm a blond 24 yr old girl.)? Is it worth going? Any advice would be wonderful- Cheers! -Lauren
chacmool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

ohh... I thought this was a singles ad....you disapointed me.

I don't know anything about anything especially not south Africa. sorry

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Hmmmm....that is a tough one. My sisters friend did some volunteer work there and had a rough go of it. You could always pair up with other travelers you meet there.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

From friends I have who are actually FROM South Africa...I'm not 100% sure I'd even travel alone there. There's considerably higher risk there than many other countries, especially European. Perhaps someone on the boards currently living in South Africa can offer some advice? But please be honest in your asssesment.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
agriadam
TP Ghost

Americans planning travel to South Africa should read International Adoption South Africa available on the Department of State web site at http://travel.state.gov

I know that I post it alot but I don't think that people appreciate the amount of information available at this site. www.travel.state.gov

I swiped this from that site:

SAFETY AND SECURITY
Travelers are encouraged to be vigilant and avoid any large gathering, particularly protests and demonstrations. The possibility of violence, including threats against American interests, should not be discounted, particularly in times of heightened world tension.

While visiting game parks and reserves, it is dangerous to leave one's vehicle or otherwise be on foot, even in the presence of a guide. Several incidents of wild animal attacks on tourists in the region have resulted in deaths or serious injury. There have also been shark attacks in the False Bay area of the Cape. In December 2004, a woman was attacked and killed by a shark while swimming at Fish Hoek beach. Should a shark be spotted close to the shore, local authorities will sound a warning siren to notify the public.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings and Public Announcements can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety...afety_1747.html.

CRIME: Although the vast majority of visitors complete their travels in South Africa without incident, visitors should be aware that criminal activity, sometimes violent, occurs routinely. Notwithstanding government anti-crime efforts, violent crimes such as carjackings, muggings, "smash and grab" attacks on vehicles and other incidents are regularly reported by visitors and resident Americans.

Crimes against property, such as carjacking, have often been accompanied by violent acts, including murder. South Africa also has the highest incidence of reported rape in the world. Foreigners are not specifically targeted, but several have been the victims of rape. Victims of violent crime, especially rape, are strongly encouraged to seek immediate medical attention, including antiretroviral therapy against HIV/AIDS. Questions about how to receive such treatment should be directed to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Criminal activity, such as assault, armed robbery and theft, is particularly high in areas surrounding many hotels and public transportation centers, especially in major cities. Theft of passports and other valuables is most likely to occur at airports. A number of Americans have been mugged or violently attacked on commuter and metro trains, especially between Johannesburg and Pretoria. There have been several instances in which American travelers have been drugged to sleep by strangers they met and invited to their hotel rooms. The victims' beverage is surreptitiously "spiked" by the stranger. The victims awaken to find their valuables have disappeared. In at least one instance, an American traveler died after being robbed/drugged in this fashion.

In areas of Mpumalanga Province west of Kruger National Park, there have been violent attacks on foreign tourists. In the Western Cape, police resources have been strained by continuing gang conflicts and vigilante violence in the Cape Flats area of Cape Town. Some portions of the provinces of Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, such as the "Wild Coast," have significant levels of crime and inadequate medical services. Travelers may wish to contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate before embarking on trips to these particular areas.

Armed robberies of cash-in-transit vehicles and personnel occur throughout South Africa and peak during December and January due to the increase in cash flow from commercial stores to banks. Individuals should raise their level of situational awareness while in the vicinity of cash-in-transit vehicles and personnel and avoid areas where they are located to the maximum extent possible. The violence associated with these attacks makes prudence the best policy.

Credit card fraud, counterfeit U.S. currency, and various check-cashing scams are frequently reported. Do not accept "assistance" from anyone, or agree to assist others with ATM transactions. Travelers should try to avoid using ATMs after bank business hours. There have been reports of ATMs retaining the card, the cardholder leaving the scene since they cannot remove the card, and criminals later returning to retrieve the card from the machine. When giving your credit card to a store or restaurant employee for processing, do not let them take the card out of your sight. Also beware of fraudulent schemes in which a caller from South Africa (who usually is not South African) attempts to win the confidence of an unsuspecting American, who is then persuaded either to provide privileged financial information or travel to South Africa to assist in a supposedly lucrative business venture. Anyone receiving such a solicitation is urged to see the U.S. Secret Service website at http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml before providing personal financial information or making any financial commitments.

I hope that this is useful and goodluck lket us know what you decide.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
agriadam
TP Ghost

so meant to get rid of that first part. it only matters if you plan on adopting a child while in south africa

-My Dad

-Anthony Bourdain

-Bill Bryson

-Me
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Hmmmm, that is not so promising. Also, if you do go, bring your own syringe. My sister had to do this in China as well. It is common practice in Many parts of Africa to re-use syringes, and well, we all know that is bad.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
agriadam
TP Ghost

not this part

Quote:
South Africa also has the highest incidence of reported rape in the world.* Foreigners are not specifically targeted, but several have been the victims of rape.

-My Dad

-Anthony Bourdain

-Bill Bryson

-Me
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
butterj
TPunk Recognized

I would watch your back, and personaly would only travel there alone if i could find at least one person to go with me. One of my female friends wen't to do aid work and although she had a great time said they had an electric fence around where they were staying and she had some close calls with some local men, i think they may have been further north but still, be carefull.
butterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
chacmool16
Members

Send a message via AIM to chacmool16

thanks guys- that was very informative- I appriciate it. yeah, I think I'll pass. I really wanted to try a completely different place to travel other than Europe/Australia (I've been to both) Oh well, I'll keep looking. thanks again!
chacmool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
laje
Members

im also looking into going ot s africa in november for 3 motns, so far this hasnt convinced me not to go. all those things could just as easily happen here i think (canada). africa would be so awesome, im a 19 year old female, planning to go by myself.... this is all very tenative tho.
laje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
Esterina
french touch

A friend of mine just returned from a 3-week-stay in S.A. and although she loves her experience there, she complained about the fact that security was always an issue. It wasn't advise to travel alone, nor walk alone in a city, even Johanesburg. In their car, they always made sure the locks were on.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Cool

Yo, EAT YOUR HEART OUT COMPTON! Let some REAL G's show y'all how it's done!!!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Esterina
french touch

David...

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

wow intense pics voyd.

Yeah i echo what atchoum said. My dentist is from south africa . he said basically the same thing that it's such a gorgeous country but there is definately a sense of heightened security. Walking in groups in always advisible. Apparently all the houses have bars and security gates, some even have security guards. There is a real sense of separation there. (as the doc has told me when he froze my mouth.. )
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #16
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Damn, those guys must have crazy wrist/forearm strength to fire guns like that.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Or just crazy period. They put sights on those guns for a reason...firing them sideways defeats the purpose. Oh well, guess I couldn't complain, if someone shooting at me, I hope they fire like that...with their eyes closed...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Cool

^ Psshhh...sights, shmights...heck this guy can't even see from under his hat!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I love that this site aims to break down stereotypes.

:greenguy:

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #20
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

I like this guy. Mow em down with one hand, sweep em up with the other.

Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote