How do you study? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Language Club- How do you say...?

Language Club- How do you say...? Languages, Translations...What's the word, yo?!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Hey guys I need to start studying spanish again and I don't have time for college classes. Has anyone used a do-it-yourself study course for a language before? I did a cd one for portugese that helped alot before I went but I am pretty much past most of those CD ones.

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
Ryder
Members

get the the "Teach Yourself ____" Their really good, if you're at the bookstore their in a yellow and white packaging, make sure you don't just by the book though.

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getbook.php?i...ate=foreignlang
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
starpiste
Members

Location: From Vancouver, Canada but living in Nottingham, UK
Send a message via MSN to starpiste Send a message via Yahoo to starpiste

Depending on where you live there's sometimes conversational groups, who just kind of meet and speak a different language over coffee to practice. I've seem them held once a month or once a week, but usually it's a drop in thing so you just go when you can. Also the level of language tends to be pretty high, but it depends where you are now.

I also second the "Teach Yourself" series. I've only used the books as grammar help, rather than conversation, but found it great.
starpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Best way to learn a language is to go immerse yourself in it....go to spain or mexico or somewhere for 3 months. You'll learn fast

Conversational groups sound good too. I've always learned best by having to use the language. I learn Maltese fluently, my Spanish and Italian aren't bad, and really started picking up the Creole while in Belize (seriously a hard language). When I took classes I had a hard time.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

These are good suggests! I've just started learning french. I got a "French for Dummies" books for xmas which is pretty funny actually and I found out my work will pay for college french lessons. which I have started taking. Mostly it's a refresher of what I learned in grade school, but having a few co-workers who are learning is helping out alot!

Even if you find other people at your level, I find I learn more when I'm explaining a question to someone or beind told by someone who's doin' the exact same thing. I guess different brains waves help out too. :D

Au revoir!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
happy travels!
Members

You guys all have some great advice, I just wanted to "second" them!
I studied French for 12 years in school but still didn't speak all that well. After a year in the French part of Switzerland, I can finally say I'm fluent. Forsure learning abroad is the best way to learn a language!

I also learnt some German and Italian with those silly TRAVEL C.D.'s!! They're okay but the problem is you only learn how to ask certain questions but when the other people answer....oie!!! it kinda leaves you a bit limited! but still a good starter!

I'm now on the search to find a Spanish school somewhere in South America, preferably Argentina. I've been looking on-line to find a site where I can compare the different schools and prices and whatnot! Otherwise to look for each individual school will take me forever...so if you have any suggestions let me know!!

Thank you, merci, gracias, danke, shalom!

happy travels! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I third or fourth (whatever we're on) the conversational groups. Or any cultural group for that matter. If anything post an ad on Craigslist looking for a tutor. I was debating getting a cd/book kit but I'll probably just take a class Summer session at school (that way I get 3 credits out of the way and update my Spanish).

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I also wanted to add that when I went to Germany my homestay sister and her friends were fluent in English, German, French and light Italian. I asked them how they did it (other than the amazing school system - their teacher spoke over 100 languages...some only a few words but he had a short conversation with one girl in our group from Ethopia) and they said they have study session every week or so. In the sessions they print out lyrics to their favorite songs at the moment and translate them using their textbooks and dictionaries. I thought it was really neat!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Like happy travels, I studied French for years, but it didn't really all gel until I spent some time in Paris and was pretty much forced to speak it 24/7... Same thing with Spanish - although I didn't study much, total immersion in the language forced it all out of me. It's amazing how adaptive we can be, and how rewarding that experience is.

As far as self-study goes, I'm a big fan of it. I've tried the Teach Yourself _____ method for Dutch (and have the set for Catalan) and it worked pretty well, at least for doing a 2-week DIY course and then heading off to the Netherlands. While I naturally hadn't mastered the language after two weeks, Dutch folks were marveling at my pronunciation - which is one of the great things about using CDs. You can also get Teach Yourself in book form, and while the exercises in there are very good, you won't get crap for pronunciation.

My favorite all-around DIY method is Pimsleur. They're audio-only, so it's crap for literacy and spelling, but in terms of quickly getting up to speed in a language, their stuff is amazing. (However, from what I understand, you can get versions with workbooks so you can read along if you wish...) I got the intro Spanish set (only a weeklong course) before going to Spain and by my 3rd day in Spain I was able to give people directions, hold conversations about cooking, and feel fairly confident conversing with locals - though not very proficieintly. I decided to do the rest of the full course via my iPod and car stereo, and wound up having no problems at all talking to people in Costa Rica, after an initial day of fumbling with the language.

I swear by DIY systems, but that's just the way it works out for me. Some people need a class environment, others just need full immersion. Before spending a lot of time/money on any method, I'd recommend taking a little sampler. The Pimsleur intro courses are very cheap at Barnes & Noble, you can audit a class or two at your local community college, or you can find a conversational group by looking up Activity Partners on Craigslist.. Try them out and see which method suits you best.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

"Tables" (conversational groups) are really popular among college language classes. You might want to pop by the local university and talk to the head of the language department or a prof in whatever class and see if they can get you in on some studying/working with a tutor.

Yes, immersion is the best. It's amazing how many little things you can pick up and how much a language you've studied can improve.

We met a German woman who became an American soldier maybe 10 years ago. She didn't have an accent at all. She said she learned by watching kids' cartoons since the vocabulary is usually simplified.

Right now I'm studying Korean at my school but would rather be in Korea learning since I really think it'd be less confusing than how my prof is teaching it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
happy travels!
Members

Conversation groups are great. I did a French and German TAMDEM language exchange with 2 different guys who wanted to practice their English. We got toghether once a week and spoke both the languages and asked questions, it was good fun! Of course my 1st question was always "teach me some dirty words"...you know the important stuff you don't learn in a classroom! I met my French partner in a bar once and started making a list of all the "important" words, I went to the loo and when I came back some other guy had read it and asked me what the hell I was doing! I was a little embarrased you could say!

I think I'll invest in a begginer Spanish book or c.d. to start learning. I've been going crazy searching to find a site on the internet with a list of spanish schools in Argentina but I finally found one the other day! I'm not exactly the most computer-intelligent so sometimes it takes me awhile! I just thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else was looking to study Spanish abroad, it's www.learn-spanish-guide.com . I guess the name kinda says it all doesn't it!! (should have known!) So now I just have to decide which school to go to! I emailed them for some advice and a good recommendation, so hopefully that will help me. But I would definately appreciate any of your suggestions as well!

Anyways, I wish you guys all the best with your language studies!

happy travels! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

i think it really helps to find someone to help above and beyond a book. or CD....so you can tell if you are saying things right. of course im trying to pick up some Mandarin, and its tonal, so you need to make sure you say things right..but it helps for whatever language you wanna learn...so yeah, a converstaion group or native speaker will help tons
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
kingofsoulz
Members

just as long as there's music... just not to loud... i feel relax and inspired to study...
kingofsoulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
goyincognito
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

I learned Hebrew at an ulpan which is basically an intensive course...I imagine they have equivalent courses in other countries (ulpan is essentially Hebrew taught like ESL is in the US...total immersion and only Hebrew allowed and spoken at all times even from day 1...for many, many hours per week, plus ridiculous amounts of homework).

Ulpan was surprisingly low cost too (NIS 390...about USD 85 per month for around 23 hours per week of instruction), and I'm willing to bet the equivalencies in other countries are similarly priced (or, if not, then at least reasonably priced) and every bit as intense.

But right now since I'm really good (or, at least good enough ) at Hebrew I'm learning French now by just talking to my friend in French.

It's a headache that way for the first couple hours then you get the hang of it, it becomes easier and just requires you to use it and not be shy...just hope any friend you utilize is patient during the learning curve

Either way, immersion is really the only way to truly learn a language...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

The two DIY language courses that I have heard good things about are Pimsleur (and try this site for good pricing: Cheappimsleur.com) and Linguaphone. Good luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #16
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yeah pimsleur was extremely helpful when I learned Portugese.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

The Pimsleur Conversational Czech was pretty awesome. The great thing about an audio system like there's is that you get the pronunciation down like a native. So while I was speaking really broken Czech, at least the words I did know sounded perfect

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #18
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Apr 12 2006, 04:49 PM
The Pimsleur Conversational Czech was pretty awesome.* The great thing about an audio system like there's is that you get the pronunciation down like a native.* So while I was speaking really broken Czech, at least the words I did know sounded perfect
[snapback]112023[/snapback]

HA HA, when I was in Cesky Krumlov we had this awesome guy try to teach us some basic Czech. And lets just say it's fun to have a native speaker teach you over a bite to eat. But it made me realize I'm definitely not a linguist...People who can sound like they've been born there impress me!

Jenn
Old 06-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #19
JeanB
Members

Send a message via MSN to JeanB

I just wanted to add to something that Blink chick picked up on. I think if you can find a band that plays a style of music that you like, and sings clearly in the language you're learning, then that is perfect for reinforcing a DIY approach.

For example Jake, if you are learning spanish and love your ska (as i do) then Ska-P is the spanish band you're looking for!

English speaking people often wonder how continental europeans speak english with ease, and i think the answer is that english is everywhere for them......internet, the movies they watch, music. They simply can't avoid it. So the trick to learning their language fast is the same....find a person you can chat to and practice with through yahoo or msn (easily done), rent out spanish movies with english subtitles, listen to their music, and really although you don't realise it, you're studying all the time.

don't get me wrong, this way of learning can only complement a teach yourself approach with books and tapes, it can't substitute for it completely.........But it does make recognising and remembering the words much much easier!

also, if at work download a virtual teacher screensaver......subliminal learning works!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I've learned the most and improved the most of any language by forgetting about being bashful and basically just bombarding anyone with any degree of knowledge in what I'm studying with my crappy, crappy language skills. My *mistakes* have helped me more than any class or immersion session teaching me proper grammar. OR when you're traveling: learn ONE word. Just one. And repeat it constantly. Please is a good one. Try not to let your one word be dirty. I know two words in Czech: please and help. Hmm, maybe thank you. Oh, and "I am a vegetarian." But I have really spent five seconds, approx, in the Czech Republic. I just walked around saying, "Prosim, prosim, prosim," whenever I needed to get someone's attention ask a question, whatever, even though everything I had after I got "prosim" out of my system was going to be English.

It's not infallible, however, as when I attempted Turkish (several times, mind you) everybody laughed at me. I was just trying to say thank you! Just play. Learn something silly. I know people like the teacher mentioned above who can say at least something in 100 different languages (so many, hard to believe!). They just repeat the same thing, non sequitur or not, over and over. And those are the phrases they'll never be able to forget.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote