Meeting People at Hostels - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers Rule number one- There are no dumb questions!
First time travelers, please ask your dumb questions here=)!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Default Meeting People at Hostels

From what I've been reading, it seems that Hostels provide for a great opportunity to meet people. My question is vague, but once you meet these people, how do you go about when it comes to hanging out. Do most people tend to stay in the city and then say hey lets visit city2 tomorrow, or do most people tend to stay in the same city/country for a while?

I'm just wondering, because if I meet some people over there, and they want to visit another city, I want to plan for that option....buying a Eurorail Ticket for all of the countries, opposed to not having one at all.
hockeyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I prefer hostels with a bar in them.... Great way to just sit down, have a beer and start talking... That is usually how I end up packing before I go to bed and going somewhere new with people I just met... Makes for the best adventures... I find that most hostels, travelers want to talk to travelers... Just go for it and have a fucking blast!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Welcome to Tpunk! Any specific travel plans yet?

Even if the hostel doesn't have a bar, just grab some beers and offer them up to some friendly looking people in the common room. Backpackers love free alcohol. I have never traveled with other travelers to a next city but I hear it happens. I must be weird haha. But its really really easy to meet other travelers. You'll get into the groove. And picking up a Eurail pass is always a great deal if you plan on visiting a lot of countries.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #4

The plans are still up in the air. It's a must that I visit Germany since I speak German and have an interest in the culture. I'd like to hit up Denmark and and Norway as well, but it's not a big deal if I don't visit those countries.

I'm looking at spending two weeks in Europe, perhaps three depending on the money. Because my time frame is so limited, I'm thinking it'd be best to keep it to a few countries so I'd have the time to enjoy each of them.

At this point, I'm looking at traveling alone. A friend of mine as expressed interest in coming along with me. He speaks Russian, so that could be of much assistance. But for now, I'm going alone.

I enjoy meeting people, and would consider myself outgoing. Therefore, that's the reason I was asking about meeting people at the hostels. If I meet some wonderful friends (incl. hot women ), then I'd be up for traveling with them, granted they don't mind.

Random question of interest: Are hook-ups common at hostels?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

In that case, you should look at the Eurail Selectpass. You can get Germany and 2 neighboring countries.

As far as hookups go, if you want it...it will happen.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
lover of Germany

I've never travelled to another city with backpackers-had an offer to travel to Prague but I had just arrived in Berlin and had a DB rail pass and wanted to explore to Germany. Funny enough I met them in the common room of a hostel talking about holidays in different countries. I tend to hang back and observe the conversation first and then after a while join in and make introductions etc. Hostel folk tend to be a friendly bunch.
My fav places in Germany-as its somewhere you want to visit are Berlin and Leipzig.
Also welcome to TPunk we're a friendly folk to

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Welcome to Tpunk!

Hostels, in my opinion, are one of the best places to meet people. Everybody there is traveling and everybody there has a story.

On such a short trip the chance of travel with others will probably not present itself, but you never know. Carpe the freakin Diem.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #8

Hey there.

I remember when I first started doing the hostel thing. I was only 18 when I went Inter-Railing around Europe which ended up being an amazing experience. Actually the fact that I was really young was always a good way to spark up interest when socializing with the people in the hostel! I was a bit nervous at first but eventually realised that everybody there was a like minded traveler with their own story to tell! It can't hurt to introduce yourselves, what's the worst that can happen. Be up front and forward about things. When I was in a hostel in Prague, my room-mates were 2 Aussie girls. I literally just said one night "Hey guys can I tag along with you tonight?". I still speak to them to this day. Just go for it.

A few general pieces of advice I would give...

Check the "Fun" rating of the hostel booking sites. This is a really important aspect and reflects the sociability of the hostel.

Try booking some organised tours from the hostel itself. More than likely you will meet other people from your hostel who also booked that trip.

I really recommend traveling solo. On your own you lose you inhibitions and feel as though you can act the way you want to. You can also move on whenever you want to. In Budapest I found my hostel was full of people in massive groups who kept themselves to that group. I could move on to wherever and whenever I felt like it.

Finally I made the mistake of skimming the capital cities of too many different places, never really getting a feel for a certain country. Try exploring a small number of countries in depth as it is a lot more fulfilling in my book!

Have a good one
stewy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #9

Going a bit off topic with this, but:

I'm getting the sense that traveling solo seems to be the favored option among the members on this board. My only problem with traveling solo is the language barrier. While I do speak some German, I don't speak any other languages, except English. I want to visit Sweden and Norway, but I don't speak their languages. Does this present a large problem, especially when traveling alone and not knowing where you're going?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
lover of Germany

If I were you, I would get a phrase book so you can read some basic phrases. As long as you make some attempt most people who speak English will most likely be willing to help you out.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #11

For Sweden and Norway it isn't really necessary. On the other hand, knowing a few phrases will probably impress the locals which can't hurt.

The Scandinavian countries have amazing levels of English because they learn it at school from a young age. Generally most young people speak it at a very high level. In actual fact I went to school in Norway when I was younger. Can't see the language barrier posing any problems really.
stewy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #12

One more random, quick question. I plan on visiting in May. Do I need to book hostels, get plane tickets, and insurance now? I'm betting on the Euro falling against the US dollar, and thinking it might be cheaper to wait it out.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I wouldn't bother waiting on the dollar for just a 5 month wait. I think it would be more important to research your trip and start booking what needs booking. Start looking for plane tickets now. Start researching hostels now. Things do get booked and tickets will go up.