language, how neccesary is it - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Language Club- How do you say...?
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Language Club- How do you say...? Languages, Translations...What's the word, yo?!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Koomori
Members

do guys really worry about it? I mean I know I should have some way of figuring out what people are saying but is it really a big deal? Do alot of people speak english, are they understanding of americans who are trying?
Koomori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

The golden rule is TRY. It's common courtesy. People will be much nicer to you if you at least know basic greetings, yes/no/please/thank you, etc. Do not assume that "everyone speaks english". Many people do not, and those that do will likely prefer to be greeted in their native tongue even if they later switch to English after seeing you stumble around for words. If you go somewhere that you REALLY do not know a single word of the language, preface everything with "I'm really, terribly sorry, but I don't speak [insert language here]. Can you help me?"

How courteous would you be if at home you came across tourists all the time that refused to say anything to you in English and just babbled at you in their native tongue, expecting you to know it? Sure, English is more common-- but it's the principle.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Arthur
Members

basicly you can survive just fine with out knowing the language, my brother and i know mabey 2 words in german but were able to survive, how ever out time in france was much smother due to the fact we could understand them a little better. basicly my oppion is that its not nessary how ever it does help your trip run smoother.
of course some would argue that no being able to under stand people is part of the journy and is what helps people come to rezilze how odd the concept of a langage is.

Myspace Xanga Facebook
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Esterina
french touch

It depends, where are you going and what are your expectations ? If you stick to capitals and major cities, within the tourist circuit limits, you most probably won't have problems using only english, but if you wish to interact with locals, go deeper in the countryside, then you'd better have at least a basic travel language helper (found in every travel guide).

People are aware that most Americans only speak english, and - excuse but I'll be straightforward- find very rude the fact that most of them don't try a bit. So you'll make a great impression on the locals, and please them, just by saying hello, please and thank you in their language.

Prost ! Sante ! Nazdrovie !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
weirdbeard
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to weirdbeard

Not to mention learning other languages can be a fascinating and life enriching experience. I work in retail and it's always helpful to foreigners when I try to communicate with them in their own language. Maybe I'm just curious but I like to know what people are saying and how to communicate more efficiently in conversation. What are these people from the other side of the world saying to me?!?! I also think that I tend to give people a little more respect when they try to speak in my language, just as I would in their native country. Learning new languages can be tough but in the end it's probably more rewarding if you make an effort.
weirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
JeanB
Members

Send a message via MSN to JeanB

Quite right wierd beard. Learning another language can be a damn good laugh if you meet the right sort of people who are happy to play charades in a quest of understanding. I also found that compared to the speed of learning at school, the speed of learning when talking to friends in another country is much much faster, and no where near as boring. Especially if a certain special someone is teaching you, and even more so if they don't speak english, only the universal language of love....
Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #7
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Ditto on all of the above, it's just rude not to even try. The whole, "Do you speak English?...DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?!" shouting match is pretty ugly and embarrassing to watch. No one expects a foreigner to speak their language fluently, but some effort is appreciated. And if you don't speak it well, but the other person speaks English, they will be so appalled at the mangling of their language they will quickly switch to English for everyone's sake. Or perhaps they really are just glad of an opportunity to practice their English. That's what they'll tell you, anyhow!

Oh, and never underestimate the power of charades - my husband thinks I'm crazy when I start gesticulating and acting, but I generally get the answer in the end.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
augentier

Wink

am i allowed to post in here?? hope so..

i think language is important, especially how to PRONOUNCE things correctly..where to put the emphasis/accent in a word..it can completely change the meaning.

while in Costa Rica we stopped to ask someone how to get to the town called Jaco (emphasis on the O) but we were pronouncing it jaco (emphasis on the A) which in Costa Rican slang means heroin...

we found out later, but at the time we weren't quite sure why the guy raised his eyebrows and just stared ..
augentier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

In my experience, a few local words, the right attitude, creative gesturing and a smile go a very long way.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

does anyone find it a little odd that this thread has like 1000 views but only 8 responses lol?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Probably because it got stickied...

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote