I'm American, but should I look Canadian? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers

Dumb Questions for First Time Travelers Rule number one- There are no dumb questions!
First time travelers, please ask your dumb questions here=)!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
travy

Default I'm American, but should I look Canadian?

Heading to Europe next month.

My Grandfather has done quite a bit of traveling around the world(and Europe). And he suggests I should sew a Canadian flag on my backpack. Sounds a bit silly, but I can see how it might help. I'll be in random places in Europe and not always in big cities.

Opinions?
travy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Totally unnecessary, and you'll look like a tool trying to explain why you've done it when people ask where you're from (unless you plan to lie to everyone you meet).
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

No - the real Canadians will be able to snuff you out.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
travy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post

Haha.

Okay.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
expatben
lover of Germany

Honestly, while I am against that sort of thing there was a time a while back where in some countries it might not have been a terrible idea but nowadays I wouldn't bother.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I'm going to draw your attention to THIS THREAD.

Happy Travels

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
stewy88

Funny stuff In my past travels I've always struck better relationships with Canadian backpackers (No offense intended!). Doesn't mean however I'm going to avoid Americans because of the actions of other Americans. This would be the attitude of most people on the road.

Surely the point of travelling is so you can be yourself without worrying what other people think, you know, doing what you always wanted to do without conforming to the crowd.

I wish the Americans would stop thinking I'm Australian though. I'm pretty sure my English accent doesn't sound Australian
stewy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

First of all I agree with the consensus of this thread, absolutly do not pretend to be from a country you are not. I met a couple of people like that when I was traveling Europe it irritated Americans that these people were ashamed of their country and it irritated Canadians that they would try to pass as a Canadian.

And stewy i bet most Americans don't think that your accent sounds Australian... they just can't tell the difference, so they just guess Australian since three quarters of the Australian Population is currently back packing around Europe as we speak the chances of getting it right are higher!

As for the OP Safe Travels and Be proud to be what you are!

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I met some travelers passing themselves off as Canadians and it really gave me a bad impression of the people. Just be yourself!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #10
astro25e

This might be a bit off topic, but if it's something you want to avoid, then don't dress like an American! People in Europe spot it immediately! Lizz might know what I mean. The first time (and probably the 2nd and 3rd) I traveled, I was all in my American university zone! Baseball cap is a number one tip off of being from across the pond. Nalgene water bottles, Northface jackets or those backpacks with water attachments are number two! Sweat pants, hoodies, baggy jeans etc are also so very american/canadian.

I'm not sure when I stopped doing these things, but now I cannot even imagine traveling all decked out like i'm going one a two week long expedition to unexplored territory anymore. Chances are you will always be in a city, with all the amenities of a 1st world county

(I mean no offense by this post! But it's the easiest way to avoid first detection!)
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I don't think you need to do that any more. I thought the only reason Americans would want to do that is so they could avoid people going on about how much they hate George W Bush. Everybody loves Obama so it's all good.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
agriadam
TP Ghost

^Not everyone...

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post
Yes we can. And also, with Obama, its all good to be American! (not that it ever was not, but hell it must be nice to have ppl like your president for once)
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriadam View Post
^Not everyone...
Well the very least he's not universally hated like the last guy. We love Obama over here in Europe, Irelands already claimed him as one of our own and started writing songs about him.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
agriadam
TP Ghost

That's Sad.... because he's not very well liked over here. He cares more about getting the rest of the world to like him than running a country that is in very bad economic times due in part to his enormous spending. I think that alot of people voted for him for the one reason of seeing the first black president and now a lot of people regret that decision. though our last election really was "which lousy person do we want as president".

I only hope for the best and I suppose that it is nice that the rest of the world does finally like our president.

-My Dad

-Anthony Bourdain

-Bill Bryson

-Me
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I think it is a refreshing change. He is adored here in most parts of Austin, albeit a liberal college town, but still in the heart of Texas.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #17
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

It's funny listening to the praise he gets over here. Every time he starts spending, the opposition start laying into our own government, "look what Obamas doing, why aren't we doing something like that?" I heard one guy on the radio the other day saying Obama should be put in charge of the Haiti releaf effort because it needs a leader and "Obama could get the job done."

Although us Europeans strongly believe Obamas doing great things for America you just won't see the benefits of it straight away.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
travy

I don't think I'll have problems with "looking" american, I think. My basic outfit is just jeans and a plain colored(tagless = one of the best thing ever) t-shirts or some random one I get from random places I've visted.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

They need to broadcast this video on every Irish network. I already sent this to another Irish guy who is in love with "O'Bamagh" and you all need to see it. I voted for O but I am not stupid. He's just another politician like the rest of them.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #20
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Can't watch the video in my region.

All politicians are corrupted, politics in general is a corrupted unworkable system that encourages further corruption in every walk of life, but Obamas the best of a bad bunch from what I've seen.