Pickpockets and Petty Theives - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Sharkbait
Members

okay, so I catch this guy trying to pickpocket me....can I bust him in the mouth? is that advisable? what happens if it is a woman or something? I am not usually a violent person and I hate to fight, but when I am threatened or scared, I lose it sometimes...is it worth calling the cops?
Sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

If you pop some guy in the head for trying to lift your wallet chances are you will get in trouble.

It all comes down to who throws the first punch. You might have a hard time proving the guy was a pickpocket. Plus, dealing with a over seas court procedure might be a pain in the ass!

If you catch someone trying to get in your bag just yell something like THEIF. Chances are they'll run away....or stab you. naw I'm just kidding.

lol

Just be careful and you won't have anything to worry about!!
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Sharkbait
Members

ok, sounds good. I am going to have everything situated where unless they can get to my money belt, they won't get anything I can't replace.

Thanks. 5 weeks to go.
Sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I'm jealous dude, your leaving a couple weeks before me!!

Good luck!

And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Marcfj
Members

My advice is to slug the Son of a bit.h as hard as you can! Years ago a guy attempted to mug me in Barcelona in broad daylight. The would be mugger came up and grabbed me around the neck from behind then pulled me backwards while attempting to put some sort of spice in my eyes. Fortunately, I was able to quickly break free of his hold then turn around and yank my wallet back out of his hand and then follow up with a swift Thai-style kick to his ribs. The guy then took off running and was never seen around the youth hostel again. ( Note: This attempted mugging took place during Franco's reign and was therefore an uncommon occurrence at that time. )
Marcfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
AdamTheCultured
TPunk Recognized

i say you bring some mase and dont hesitate to mase the FUCK out of anyone you feel threatened by..........no joke......

The one time I definately needed my mase I didnt have it on me....

This dealer tried to mug my friend on the streets of Amsterdam at night....So I grabbed him around the neck and threw him down quite hard onto the concrete (more commonly known as a hip toss).....then we ran.....even though I kinda wanted to stay there and kick the shit out of the guy.......but I am glad i didnt because anyone who has to mug or steal for means of survival is pathetic and deserves sympathy but not compassion.......

I say....punch (or mase) the shit out of anyone threatening you or your belonging in any way and then leave before any reprocussions can come out of your actions....so even if a little kid tries to pick pocket you...I think you should back hand them and walk/jog/run away........."leave the scene of the crime"..........
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 AM   #7
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Ya, so if you do hit, run. No need to stick around for any possible reprecussions - physical, legal or otherwise.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 AM   #8
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

I agree mate, Whenever Im in a shady area or my spidey senses start going off I always reach for the lighter I always carry in my right pocket just for this reason, its no roll of quarters but its better then nothing. Slug the thug and boogie on outta there
WIll
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #9
Magnifico
Members

I had a mechanical pencil with a half-inch or so long metal tip either in my pocket or up my sleeve for a fair bit of my trip in Europe. In Montparnasse, a particularly inept thief was either having trouble with a jammed zipper or was trying to pull the pack off my back without my noticing. In either case, I looked back at her the first time I felt the pull, and she looked away, like I'm that stupid. Then I feel her pulling at the bottom zipper (there's a huge pocket in the bottom of hte bag with zippers that are falling apart), so I turn around and hold up the pencil. She made herself scarce, and I'm guessing the brandishing of something that can cause no small amount of pain when gently inserted in the eye helped.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

You should have been like hey baby, I feel your tuggin........I got something you can tug on
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #11
AdamTheCultured
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by newbiepacker@Oct 8 2004, 12:46 AM
You should have been like hey baby, I feel your tuggin........I got something you can tug on*
...........and if you're good....i might even give ya a euro or two for encouragement.....
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I'm a slug-and-run kinda guy, myself... some countries, you're automatically guilty in a dispute with a local (try getting in a car accident in Saudi Arabia, for example) Don't hang around to argue with the cops.

Mace isn't allowed on aircraft in any way-shape or form, so it's not advisable (and if you haven't tried using that stuff in close quarters, you're in for a nasty surprise... it works both directions)

Beyond that... stay alert, make them pick someone else...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
pink_floyd
Members

yeah watch out you never know if the guy is carrying... those fucks usually carry at least a knife or soemthing... your best bet is to hold onto your shit and get the fuck away.... unless you know aikido then you can break the fuckers hand and throw him on the ground..

pink_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
chasing a dream

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream

"Everybody was kung-fo fighting! Those kicks were fast as lightning!" hehehe
Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

I don't think you should hit somebody trying to pickpocket you...I mean you can shove them off, but there's no excuse to bust out their teeth. That's escalating a situation that really doesn't need that...

I'd only hit someone if they were (1) being really physically pushy (2) have no weapons drawn (3) there's only one or two of them

But yeah, thieves are genearlly cowards- you push them away, yell at them and they run away.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
futboller
Members

Send a message via AIM to futboller

Any value to just yelling "Thief!" as loud as you can and pointing?

Travel::Blog
futboller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

wow your all a violent bunch arent you! Personally i would not advise antagonising them in any shape or form.

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #18
PressurePoint
Members

Its hard to say. Im a big guy, I stand 6 foot 5 and 250 pounds. If I was being pick pocketed I would yell theif and scare them off. But on the other hand, if someone was trying to mug me and it got physical I would have no problem knocking out thier chicklets.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
PLUSCREW
Members

as a side line to this, and im sure many of you would never dream of doing this, if you do feel the urge to 'donate' some of your hard earned cash to a beggar et al never take out your wallet or money belt in front of them. so many stories i have heard of the beggar then suddenly helping out by sticking their fingers in the wallet to choose the denomination they would like and more often than not taking extra. they are very skilled. my wallet, my choice its better to give to a registered charity.
PLUSCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #20
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I wouldnt hit the pick pocket....like everyone else says "just yell thief" they will run like hell!!!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote