Morocco! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Africa
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Africa Wilderness with a capital W ! Paradise like landscapes, the Kilimandjaro and the Nile, huts and victorian architecture. Africa is a crossroads of civilizations, the land before time.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
McHopsky

Default Morocco!

I'm thinking about traveling to Morocco this summer for a few days since I'm hitting up Spain and Portugal. I've read the earlier threads about Morocco, but they seem a little dated. With the recent terrorist attacks against foreigners, is it still relatively safe to travel there? If so, what would be the best cities to check out, and what's the best way of transportation after crossing the channel?

Thanks!

McHopsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
mollymore
TPunk Recognized

I'm planning on heading to Morocco for a few days in mid-june. This is what I have read from guidebooks and what friends who have been told me -- Tangiers ain't all that, too touristy and fairly benign. Someone told me that Fes is dirty and corrupt, dunno. Heard nothing but good things about Rabat and Marrakesh so that's where I will be spending my time. Not sure if I'll have time to spend outside the cities but I would love to see the mountains.

Interested in hearing what everyone else has to say too....

Good luck =)

Molly
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

I don't have much to offer but I think I'm going to go to Morocco this fall myself so keep me posted on your trips
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
indierock05
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Hey there! I went to Morocco a few years back and had a brilliant time! I took the boat over from Algeciras, Spain to Tangier, Morocco. Tangier is the dirty city, try to avoid the train when there is a strike, unless you want to become one with you and numerous neighbours. Marrakesh was great and I had an absolutely amazing time, Fes was cool but Marra was better.

Have a blast and PM if you want some more details!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Brookers13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

i LOVED fez...its old and way cool....but rough to navigate and ppl are shady....marrakesh has a great square in the marketplace which is even better at night....essouira is a great fishing town as well...I spent a few days in the sahara on a camel trek too....let me know if you'd like info on that...it was phenomenal!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

So let me preface this by saying I have not yet been to Morocco, but my partner is Moroccan, so naturally I'm obsessed. He spent two months there last fall playing tourist, so I've got a good source/idea of what might be neat. And I want to know what to expect if I ever go to meet his family.

But everybody's spot on, the people in the north are much different than the people further south. In fact, Hicham even wrinkles his nose and says he can't stand people in Tangiers. But also, they just raised prices all over Morocco (for the people) so everywhere they will "try to take advantage" of tourists, but like salesman, not like outrageously. They raised the bread prices during Ramadan, so the people are still feeling desperate about making money.

Renting a car might be a good way to get around. Hicham has strong opinions about buses, but I want to double check with him before I get mouthy and give advice when I've never even been. I'll get back to this thread about transport.

You should definitely check out the Ouzoud Falls if you go to Marrakech. It's a day trip maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzoud_Falls

Apparently there are raft rides you can take to the falls (like, literal wooden rafts, not big yellow rapids things...old skool!)

And Zagora looks interesting for a desert trip (though I'm obsessed with the desert). But I think you can arrange a trip to sleep outside (like the Bedu trips in the Middle East) and they cook for you nomad style.

And I'm not sure when it is this year, but if you are in Morocco any time near the Gnaoua Festival in Essaouira, GO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnaoua_...Music_Festival

There's also a film studio in Ourzazate that looks neat.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

A friend of mine here in Lagos said the Ouzoud falls are quite seasonal so keep that in mind

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
augentier

I have a question about Morocco, too..

What is there to do there besides see the sites, go to marketplaces, etc? I;m guessing they don't have bars and clubs..so what do they offer for entertainment?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

There are nightclubs and bars in morocco and they do drink there. My trip got canceled but I could ask a friend that spent a while there what her experience was. I'm not sure if she is a big partier though.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
augentier

Oh reallly? So are the people less uptight there about that stuff than other Muslim countries? I'm also interested in things like surfing, scuba diving, camel rides, etc..