Eastern Europe Rough Itenary - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I stayed at Star Hostel. It pretty much takes three things to sell me on a hostel: free internet, free laundry, 24 hours running hot and cold water. Which they have all three. On top of that they have friendly staff. When I arrived in Beograd none of the ATMs liked my card but the staff was okay with me paying the next day. The staff also highlights a map for you with all the stuff to see in Beograd. The directions to get there were not that great though. But I was tired and had no money and was carrying the heavy bag so I was a little freaked. I ended up giving .5 liter of vodka to a taxi driver in exchange for a ride. He and his friends were very happy :D
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I was just thinking about doing a trip like that. Looks awesome.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #23
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Default Itenerary Update

O.K! Its so fun to see how things evolve and how ideas come together. Heres the new route. Don't "hate" the Holland part, we know we go there every year, but now we are just trying to see as much of The Netherlands as we can. Kinda addicting etc....

Leaving somewhere mar/april

Utrecht, Holland - 3 Nights
Maastricht, " " - 2
Frankfurt, - 1, followed by an overnight train to Prague
Prague - 3
Cesky Krumlov - 3
Vienna - 3
Bratislava - 3
Budapest - 3
Zagreb - 1 (no interest, just a train stopover)
Pula - 3
Split - 3 with 1-2 nights on an island off coast
Dubrovnik - 3
Bar - 2, Montenegro
Belgrade - 2
Timisoara - 2, Romania
Sighisoara - 3
Brasov - 2
Bucharest - 2
Veliko Turnova, Bulgaria - 2
Plovdiv - 3, Overnight train to Istanbul
Istanbul - 5, Fly back to Holland
Jordaan area, Amsterdam - 3

Esther - So I am seeing a train from Bar to Belgrade. I know you had concerns about getting from the coast into Romania. We are taking the ferry from Dubrovnik to Bar than train to Belgrade, then to Romania from there. I have started reading so much about inland Bulgaria, thats why we dropped the coast. Plus the coastal cities looked the same. We talked Maldova, but timeline is too tight to head that deep in.

Anyone else with advice, give it up.

So far, hostels:
Prague - Petrinska Hostel, or Sir Tobey's (a bit outta town)
Budapest - Station Guesthouse, or Backpackers Guest House
Cesky Krumlov - Hostel 99, or Hostel Merlin
Pula - Barbara Apartments
Split - Villa Sanja Hostel
Belgrade - Star Hostel
Sighasoara - Gia Hostel, or Nathans Villa Hostel
Brasov - Kismet Pao Hostel, or Rolling Stone Hostel
Veliko Turnova - Hikers Hostel
Plovdiv - Hikers Hostel

Thats all so far. If anyone has cool hostels in cities I don't. Would love to know. Thanx
Marc
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #24
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I've heard good things about Kismet Pao Hostel

In Budapest I need to recommend Home Made Hostel. I had a few hours stopover after about an 18 hour train ride in Budapest so I went to this place because to beg for a shower. I had stayed here previously, and the receptionist actually remembered me and let me have a shower. I appreciated it then. But I really appreciated it when later after having slept in airports for 2 nights I arrived at my Dublin hostel (the offender is Avalon House) and even though I was a paying customer (20 Euros a night mind you!), I could not be let in just to have a shower because it wasn't check in time.

So you cut Ukraine? =( There's still time. 2012 is when everyone is gonna go there for football and it will become the next Krakow or Prague (shudder that would be even worse).
Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #25
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post

So you cut Ukraine? =( There's still time. 2012 is when everyone is gonna go there for football and it will become the next Krakow or Prague (shudder that would be even worse).
Nothings ever set in stone. But right now, it would take a lot of our travel time to get up there, and our list has wants before it. It is SOOOO tempting though. Thanks for the hostel suggestions. I will be looking them up
Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #26
hurr111
Members

I stopped in Bratislava for a day. I wasn't there for a night just made a daytrip from Vienna. I never did much research on it so I was following my friend who acted as tour guide. I wasn't super impressed. I would still stop there, but not sure you need three nights. You can get a train from Vienna to Bratislava and it only takes about 50 minutes.

Have you ever been to Dresden in Germany? You may be able to stop there between Frankfurt and Prague and they have fairly regular trains that run from Dresden to Prague. I stopped there unexpectantly on a whim and loved the city. It has a youthful counterculture type vibe from it and a pretty decent old town. I stayed at the Lollis Homestay which was is a must stay if you go. I chatted with one of the owners the first night I was there for 4 hours about all the artwork in the rooms. It took some convincing but he took me around to see all the rooms.

Ed
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #27
hurr111
Members

Oh Yeah...I am also headed to Prague tomorrow and I am staying at Sir Toby's...I will let you know what I think.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #28
hurr111
Members

Hey guys I just spent 3 nights at Sir Toby's Hostel. It is a really nice place. The folks at reception are very freindly and helpful. Prague is a great city with lots to see and a great nightlife. The hostel and the rooms are very clean and they have a nice garden to sit in during the day. They have a small pub in the basement that is a very relaxed atmosphere if you don't want to go out into the city and party. The also have a kitchen area that is good as well and clean. It is a little bit away from the main sights but the public transport in Prague is great. I never waited more then 5 minutes for the trams and it is about a 15 minute ride into the historic city. I would reccommend the hostel. Just watch out for pickpockets in Prague. They are all over the place and very pushy. If you have any other questions about the hostel let me know.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #29
hurr111
Members

Hey again,

I stayed at the Backpackers Guesthouse in Budapest and I highly recommend it. Not sure if you have been to Budapest before, but the city is huge. Backpackers Guesthouse is definately on the edgeof the city but so worth any extra commuting you have to do. This is the one of the best Hostels I have stayed in and it may even make it to the number one spot. Oh and the Turkish baths are so amazing as well and Budapest has such a great energy to it. I loved it.

As far as Belgrade...Do NOT stay at Hostel Belgrade Eye. The people are nice, but the place is swarming with Mosquitos. I ended up getting bit over 30 times in one night, and that is not an exaggeration.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #30
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hey man, thanks for the info. We are planning on staying at the Backpackers guesthouse in Budapest, so thanks for the info. Which turkish baths did you go to? And as for Belgrade, where were you coming from going there and where to after. We are thinking of taking a ferry from Dubrovnik to Bar (Serbia) then a train to Belgrade from there. But I am not to excited about a 12 hour or so train ride. What were your experiences with Serbian trains?
Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #31
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I took a Serbian train from Belgrade to Thessaloniki - about 12 hours overnight. Some I guess Serbian kid came into my compartment and looked at my MP3 player and said "ra-dio" (rad rhyming with "mad") and told me "fuck your mother." I guess thats the only English he knew. Then he grabbed at my chest but the train police or conductor or whatever came by and got rid of him. It was actually kinda comical. Also comical was the train interior design. I had to take a photo. It looked like a DB or OBB train reject from the 70s or something.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #32
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

When I was in Munich I had a guy make eye contact with me and say "Fuck you!" as he walked by.

To this day I don't know what that was about

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #33
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

One night in Paris, Roxy and I hung out with a German man and it teenage daughter for several hours, and they told us that schools in Germany still teach the kids to hate Americans. The teenage girl said that she didn't agree with it at all, that she only disliked Bush, but liked Americans. Maybe that explains it? Who knows.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #34
hurr111
Members

The Baths I went to were up by the big park on the otherside of the river. I went there with a girl from Uraguay who was convinced to walk all the way up to them. It was a hour and 45 min walk. I recommend taking the tram, haha. Then we walked back, crazy us...I will check my guidebook a bit later to get the name.

I took a night train from Budapest to Belgrade...I think I am headed the opposite direction you are planning to head. The train had no sleepers and all couchettes, the looked just like the picture Lizz posted only a bit more dirty and old. The Tiolet did not work, but it was still being used. I had a car all to myself so it actually was not too bad for sleeping, I locked my bag to the rail and slep on my backpack like a pillow. No one bothered me. The doors also stuck so you knew any time it was opened. The trains in Serbia are slow. My train ended up being delayed two hours for some reason.

After Belgrade I took a bus to Sarajevo where I am now. I think Sarajevo may end up being one of my favorite cities. It is an amazing place. It was about an 8 hour busride, but it is a real beautiful one because it is through the hills and mountains. Also the Bosnian people are so friendly and happy. They also really like Americans, which is a bit different then in most of Europe. When my Cab driver found out I was American, he was so excited and started pulling pictures out of all areas of his cab (While manuevering around corners of the hills at breakneck speed) until he found a picture of Bill Clinton and have me a pat on the shoulder and two thumbs up.

It was comical.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #35
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

OK folks, it looks as if Rox and I might of narrowed things down. No number of nights is truly set in stone, but we want to complete this list. Once again, don't hate the Holland aspect. heehee

Arrive:
Utrecht, Holland
Utrecht
Utrecht
Maastricht
Maastricht
Train to Brussels, fly to Prague, Czech
Prague
Prague
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest,
Budapest, Overnight train To Zagreb, Croatia
Zagreb
Zadar
Zadar
Split
Split
Split - day trip to an island
Korcula
Korcula
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik - day trip to Lokrum
Bar, Montenegro
Bar, overnight train to Belgrade, Serbia
Belgrade
Timisoara, Romania
Timisoara
Oradea
Oradea
Sighasoara
Sighasoara
Sighasoara
Brasov
Brasov
Bucherest
Bucherest
Bucherest
Veliko Tarnova, Bulgaria
Veliko Tarnova
Veliko Tarnova
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Istanbul
Istanbul - day trip
Istanbul
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Depart

59 days

So whatcha think. And thanks for all the info so far. Sorry we didn't take up some of the suggestions, but we had to choose what we really wanted to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
Esterina
french touch

Looking good ! In my opinion, no need to plan any further, there is enough room to change it once there.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #37
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I can tell you two love the beach, so the Croatia heavyness of it makes sense. Maybe we can meetup. I just picked up a 2nd job so hopefully I can be outta here by Feb. at the latest.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #38
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

You know thats on!! Just keep us in the loop on your dates/destinations!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #39
hurr111
Members

Hey Marc,

I just spent the past 7 days in Croatia cruising from Island to Island. It is a cruise through Sail-Croatia.com. It was not super expensive and the atmosphere was great. You basically spend your mornings and sometimes early afternoon, relaxing on the boat, Then you eat lunch on the boat and are generally at your next stop by 1 pm. The ship also stops daily, weather permitting for a swim off the boat. Every night the boat is in port so you have the afternoon and evening to explore the city.

My stops were Split, Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Bar, Brac, and a national park that I cant remember the name. Check it out, it may be something you are interested in.

Also I booked it very last minute...The day before the ship was planning to depart. They have multiple ships going.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #40
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hey Man, thanks for the info. I just checked out the site, and it looks very appealing, but a bit more than I wanted to spend in Croatia. But?!