My trip to Bucharest - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Eastern

Europe: Eastern From Russia to Croatia, the Danube, Iron Curtain era vestiges, Pilzner beer, Czech it out!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Members

I'm taking a train from Budapest into Bucharest, and will be arriving at about 2 in the morning. I figured I'd try to catch a taxi to my hostel, but was told not to ake a taxi from the train station, but go ot the metro station a little ways away instead as reputable taxis tend to be there, however, since its ogin got be 2am or so, is it likley I can get a taxi? Or should I just haggle with one of the taxi guys at the train station? I'm willing ot part with a few extra £ so long as I get to my hostel alive. Everyone's been telling me nothing but negatives since I planned my trip, apparenlty I'll be immediately mugged and assulted as soon as I leave the train. What the hell can I really expect? Am beginning to spaz out at people. thanks for any adivce!
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Yoda

From what I know of Europe you most likely won't have a problem, but I haven't been to Budapest or Bucharest... someone with E. Europe experience will probably be along shortly with better information.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Well... i haven't been there either... but in case u need this info really fast:
*Look like you know where you are going and what you are doing, perhaps you'll meet someone that seems trustable (is that even a word??) in the train and you guys can share a taxi, or at least ask for info together... you will seem less like a target for someone who wants to take advantage of the situation.
*If you can, try and see if the taxi has a meter (you know, for how much the trip will cost), these taxis are regulated, maybe get a taxi from a company, and also you won't get ripped off on the price.

Well, hope this helps!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

The general rule of thumb is to use the OFFICIAL taxis (either from a stand or booth inside or metered ones, as florencia said above). Don't use the touts or unofficial ones standing there suggesting "Taxi?" inside, unless there is no other choice. Personally, I would look for some kind of official information booth when you get off the train -- a ticket agent, hotel information stand, whatever -- and ask there. If there is a real problem with muggings or assaults (which, in my opinion is probably just an exaggeration), they'll know about it and direct you accordingly. Double-check what a newer Lonely Planet, Rough Guide or Let's Go type book says, too. They're usually pretty good on the nitty-gritties of dangers and annoyances.

My guess is the person who told you to (walk?) to the metro station was just trying to save you a few bucks, as metros are so incredibly cheap. Like you said, though, with a late arrival, first time in the city, it's likely worth taking the taxi for your comfort's sake rather than wandering around the city at that hour looking for your hostel.

PM "Atchoum" as she is more familiar with Romania -- I personally haven't been there, and am giving you more generic, rule of thumb type of advice from my experience in Eastern Europe, and other countries in general...

Good luck, and don't let them frighten you with horror stories! You're treading a path that thousands (millions?) of travelers and tourists have gone before, so as long as you use common sense, you'll be safe.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
french touch

ROMANIA IS A WONDERFUL COUNTRY ! Now, that I cleared this up, you can tell your friends to lay back and have a !

If you can't change your plans and really must arrive in the night (because it is true that the train station Gara de Nord isn't the best place to venture in the night !), my first and best advice would be to email right now the hostel where you'll be staying and arrange transportation with them, or at least have their ideas on the matter.

If that's not possible either, or if they don't answer : taxis identified with a yellow pyramid on their roofs are reliable (Cris Taxi, tel: 9461 and Euro Taxi, tel: 9851). Yes, you'll probably be harassed in the station by "fake" taxi drivers (all backpackers are), but keep saying no and walk away.

Public transport are closed between midnight and 5:00 a.m. If your train is late, then maybe...

One last advice, not directly related to your topic : read the lonely planet «dangers and annoyances» section. There are scammers everywhere, but they aren't dangerous. You just need to know what to do in case. But ladies are usually not bothered. I never had a problem, but most guys I have met did encounter scammers.

Where will you be staying ? I was in Villa Helga (in fact, my travelpunk mugshot was taken there). Great people, a bit far from the center, but I didn't mind because the place was so great. And I hope you won't only visit Bucharest, because you'll be missing the best.

Please keep us updated. Romania is on my top two destinations , and I wish you have the best of time there, and not start your stay on a bad note.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Members

Well, I actually managed to change my plans a bit, adn arrive during the day, this involved buying a very cheap ticket Bucharest, so arrived at the airport, and got a free airport transfer from my hostel, they only do it for airport pickups during the day, and Romania IS great! I had no problems, and had nobody pestering or trying to scam me, it was great! I worried for nothing! HUGE relief, as was getting horror stories from everyone. Thanks you guys for your posts, they really really helped!!!
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

PHOTOS PHOTOS...

Glad you got sorted

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
french touch

Quote:
Originally posted by trailer_park_chick+May 16 2006, 01:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trailer_park_chick @ May 16 2006, 01:24 PM)</div>
Quote:
Romania IS great!*
[/b]
I know !!!!!!!!!! Isn't it the best place !?

<!--QuoteBegin-trailer_park_chick
@May 16 2006, 01:24 PM
I had no problems, and had nobody pestering or trying to scam me, it was great!* I worried for nothing!* HUGE relief, as was getting horror stories from everyone.*
I too heard everything before going and was so worried someone would pickpocket me when I walked through the Bucharest train station that I watched my back the whole time. Hahaha ! I think it's easier for girls than for guys though.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Members

watch out for the stray dogs, especially in Bucharest, they run the streets, especially at night. i want to train them to be my unholy army of the night
slcblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #10

The accepted aphorism of deride is to use the OFFICIAL taxis (either from a angle or berth central or metered ones, as florencia said above). Don't use the touts or actionable ones continuing there suggesting "Taxi?" inside, unless there is no added choice.