Where to live in Australia? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Australia/NZ/S Pac.

Australia/NZ/S Pac. Backpack´n Kangaroo jack´n down-under...What is Vegemite?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default Where to live in Australia?

Well, my traveling is finally coming to an end (well... sorta). I've booked a flight into Darwin on October 22nd, plan to spend a few days there and then fly somewhere to live, at least on a temporary basis with a working holiday visa. My question is... where?

My degree is in Computer Engineering so I would like to ultimately work in that field if possible, but I'm completely down with doing some bar work or something sociable for a few months first. I believe I'm allowed to work for the whole year but only 6 months with any one employer (unless I can get sponsored), so switching jobs a few months in should be no problem. My only concern is that I don't have a huge amount of money left, so I would need to get a job pretty quick, and preferably be living somewhere fairly cheap until that time.

For some reason I'm leaning towards Melbourne without really knowing why. Any help would be appreciated :-).
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

Sydney! it's great and as the most populated city, you probably have the best chance of getting a job here. The rent isn't very cheap though. This is the only place I've lived as an adult so I can't really speak for other places. I really do love it here though, the weather is great and there is so much to do, especially in summer. And each suburb has it's own unique personality so there's something for everyone. It's really laid back and easy to get around too.
most of my friends are now either in canberra or wollongong - Wollongong is also really nice, much cheaper than sydney and only about an hour away. It is much smaller though so I'd want to have a job confirmed before actually moving there. Canberra's good and there is a fair bit of work there, but the rental prices are surprisingly high and you'd need a car as it's all pretty spread out.
I like melbourne well enough but I don't know, I kind of stay for a few days and get over it after awhile, hehe. But I know that living in a place is totally different to staying a few days, and there are millions of people who seem to like living in melbourne!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Sydney is a good option. It's a fantastic city - big, great beaches, happening night life, multicultural. It offers everything you would expect from a major city of the world.

However, if you're after a more uniquely Aussie experience, I would say Darwin is the place for you. It's a city that's still a bit rough around the edges. It's a place where those uniquely Aussie Crocodile Dundee/Steve Irwin types still actually exist (seriously, I have friends up there with pet crocodiles in their back yard!). People still drink and swear. Nobody takes themselves too seriously. It's refreshingly politically incorrect. I bloody love that place!

So, if you're after a great city - Sydney. If you're after the Aussie experience - Darwin.

...and that's what I reckon.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Certified Wise

Go with your first instinct.

The weather in Melbourne might not be quite as good as other places in Australia but during summer it will still be bloody hot. Melbourne also has better food and nightlife than Sydney and is a bit cheaper.

Darwin would definitely be an experience but they're having a housing crisis there at the moment and you'll be much less likely to find work in your field.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I wish I had this decision
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
Melbourne also has better food and nightlife than Sydney
nuh-uh

I'm going to totally take it personally if you choose melbourne.. haha.

and actually yeah, Darwin is a pretty good idea! you'd be heading into the wet season though. and the practicalities of finding a place to live/work etc...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Ok, NEW PLAN!

I've just been speaking to a friend who has been in Darwin for a week now (guy I met traveling, didn't realise he was there until a facebook update). He said in one week he's found a flat share for $160 a week and a bar job paying $20 an hour. If I can do something similar for a couple of months, that should enable me to save enough to then travel the gold coast (from cairns to sydney/melbourne) and then look for an IT job once I get there. How does that sound?

Also, what sort of housing crises are they having there?
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
Mod

sounds cool! I think Darwin would be a really fun place to live (for a little while... I like my big city...)
I'm guessing the crisis adam was referring to would be just a lack of available properties? but then that seems to be everywhere. that might explain your friend's rent, he's only paying $10 less than me, I thought darwin would be way cheaper! is that for his share, or the whole flat?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

The new plan sounds excellent! I'm glad that you will experience something other than the east coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
Melbourne also has better food and nightlife than Sydney
That's quite the bold statement there.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Certified Wise

There's a shortage of houses in Darwin which means that it has the highest rent prices in Australia Link. Don't let that discourage you though.

There's also some awesome deep sea fishing up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFarmboy View Post
That's quite the bold statement there.
Really? I thought it was common knowledge. I probably should have mentioned I'm biased.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Well I now have a job and am renting a house in Darwin. I'm working in the finance department for a company called outbackstores. They run local shops in remote aboriginal communities. My house is also pretty lush, it has a swimming pool in the garden :-).

I've also just started writing the book about my trip. It'll probably be a LONG time before I finish it, but at least I've made a start.

Life is good.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it all came together.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Enjoy Life is good.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Rabidly Xenophilic

In case anyone find this thread at a later date, I have to say I really enjoyed the few days I spent in Brisbane...it seemed like a really nice and liveable city. It's worth a look for people who are just thinking either Sydney or Melbourne. All three of them are nice.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #15

You're going to fry up there in Darwin - so hot, and you can find similar paying jobs and accomodation in Sydney. That'd be my advice (might be a bit biased since I did live in Sydney for a year and loved it more than anything though!) Good luck with whatever you choose to do and make sure you travel around - up and down the east coast especially!
Hassie is offline   Reply With Quote