cycling - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk

Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk They don't call it the "Great Outdoors" for nothing - trail talk, camping tips, mountaineering, etc.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #41
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
I'm looking to do a bike tour through Michigan before the winter hits. Most of them are 150-300 miles. So it shouldn't be too terrible.
Hey Rob,
Every Mother's Day weekend here in Ohio (yes, Ohio) is the annual Tour of the Scioto River Valley. A 2-day 200 mile ride from Columbus to Portsmouth & back to Columbus. I've never ridden in it, but have spoken to people who have. It sounds like a good ride. Check it out here

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #42
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

You know - all this talk about bicycling and the nice sunny weather I've been having lately reminds me that I have a really darned expensive mountain bike currently languishing in my garage that could be put to good use - I need to get offa my butt more, I think...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #43
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengt View Post
Hey Rob,
Every Mother's Day weekend here in Ohio (yes, Ohio) is the annual Tour of the Scioto River Valley. A 2-day 200 mile ride from Columbus to Portsmouth & back to Columbus. I've never ridden in it, but have spoken to people who have. It sounds like a good ride. Check it out here

Are you trying to get me to go to Ohio???

Thanks, I will check it out.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #44
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzingtalk
where do you go in europe? how did you plan it? id love to do some partsof europe, would be amazing! how did you arrange it?
I didn't plan anything. I just took off with a tent and sleeping bag, a change a clothes and some soap, and hoped for the best. I bought small map as I entered each country and figured out my route as I went. I kinda stuck to the eastern side of everything, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain. Any specific questions? I could give you all sorts of info on whatever region you're interested in.

I sure wish it was cheaper/easier to fly to with a bike. I'd love to have my bike in Nicaragua this summer. It'd be nice to stay in shape for the next season, and a great way to explore.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #45
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

I broke my right 105 shifter yesterday during the race.

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #46
TPunk Recognized

an accident? you okay?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #47
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

I am fine, screwed up a dismount at a check point dropped my bike. latter on that night it made a popping sound. than no more shifting.
so now I have to either upgrade the entire drive train to ten speed, or find a 9 speed shifter.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #48
TPunk Recognized

Find a 9 speed, it'd be a waste of money to upgrade.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #49
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

ooh yes a bit of advice would be awesome - im heading to belgium this summer and want to go to amsterdam after - im sure its not too far to cycle, maybe 2 days worth and as it wont cost extra to carry my bike on the bus so i might just be a bit mad and go for it. what are roads like? whats it like driving on the wrong side? i think it would be a wicked adventure, belgium to holland - im planning on doin the john o groats to lands end in 2 years so will be a nice way to get started. ive also got some chairty bike rides coming up in summer so will be nice to get out on the road.

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #50

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
I am fine, screwed up a dismount at a check point dropped my bike. latter on that night it made a popping sound. than no more shifting.
so now I have to either upgrade the entire drive train to ten speed, or find a 9 speed shifter.
certain it's the shifter? which brand/model? - you can still replace most of the shimano stuff - they still make it as replacement parts...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #51
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzingtalk View Post
ooh yes a bit of advice would be awesome - im heading to belgium this summer and want to go to amsterdam after - im sure its not too far to cycle, maybe 2 days worth and as it wont cost extra to carry my bike on the bus so i might just be a bit mad and go for it. what are roads like? whats it like driving on the wrong side? i think it would be a wicked adventure, belgium to holland - im planning on doin the john o groats to lands end in 2 years so will be a nice way to get started. ive also got some chairty bike rides coming up in summer so will be nice to get out on the road.
The roads are fine, maybe not always a wide shoulder but the drivers are very courteous. Coming from England, you would now be driving on correct side of the road. It'll be strange at first, but no big deal. It was quite a shock when I first rented a moped in Thailand, where they do drive on the wrong side, but I got over it pretty quickly. Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #52
TPunk Recognized

yeah I am sure it is the shifter.
it is shimano 9 speed 105
I found a set for free, just a matter of the guy bringing them to me.
but on a side note, I had another seizure while riding tonight and fell off of my fixed gear spent an unknown time unconcious. spent three hours in the hospital. I am ok, but my family wants me to give up riding till the dr's get things sorted out.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #53

yeah, riding down the road isn't exactly the best place to decide to check out for a short trip for sure.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #54
TPunk Recognized

WHAT NOW!!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #55
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
nice pic omi

i think if i ever get another fixie built i may have to learn this

was just a matter of time