Central Asia: Visa Info - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default Central Asia: Visa Info

Well I almost have all the visas I need for my trip along the Old Silk Road through Central Asia, and think it's time to provide a rundown of what's required incase anyone else has the crazy idea of following this route.

My trip is from Istanbul to Hong Kong through the following countries, all information relates to a British passport unless otherwise stated.

Turkey: three-month multiple entry visa on arrival for £10.

Iran: Most difficult to obtain! Visa will only be issued after you obtain an authorisation number from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through a travel agent. I used iranianvisa.com who charged me €32 and it took 4 months to get the authorisation! I have also heard from a lot of people who have either been denied outright or told they have to go on an expensive tour to get a visa. Americans can only apply if they go on a tour with a set itinerary and Canadians don't seem to be able to get a visa at all at the moment. Once you have the code you can collect the visa in 1 day from the consulate for £85, or if you're prepared to wait 3 days it'll cost £68. Only single entry visas seem be available for tourists and for a maximum of 30 days but that's dependant on the decision of the MFA (some people are given less).

Turkmenistan: Tourist visas only available if you go on a tour and the guide has to meet you at the port of entry. Transit visas are available though for 3-5 days which will let you travel independantly, but only on the direct route between your entry and exit points. I'm getting a transit visa which takes 2-3 weeks to arrange and can only be applied for once you have tourist visas for two neighbouring countries in your passport. Visa costs $46 to be paid on collection and I was granted 5 days.

Uzbekistan: Letter of Invitation required which can be bought from stantours.com for $37 and takes 10 days to arrange. They e-mail this to you which needs to be printed and taken to the consulate with two application forms. A 30 day single entry visa then costs £47 and takes 3 days to issue. I have heard from people who have been denied or messed around by the consulate (demanding proof of employment or proof of financial means and then taking weeks to process the application), but my application was pretty straightforward.

Kyrgyzstan: Fairly simple one to get, just an application form and 3-5 days to issue, costs £45 for one-month single entry.

China: Costs £30 and takes 3 days to issue, or £50 to have it issued same-day. Has to be applied for in person at the consulate and for same-day issue you need to submit your application before 11am, but the queues in London can be very long so I recommend you get there by 9am (which is the time it opens) if you want to make sure you submit the application in time. I arrived at 8:40am and didn't get seen until just gone 10am. Prices for a 30 day visa single entry visa.

Hong Kong: Just a stamp in the passport in arrival .

All apart from Turkmenistan have websites from which you can download the relevant application forms. For Turkmenistan you either have to collect one from the consulate or call them and they will fax you one. Also the Iranian site is all in Farsi, but if you do a search for "r1-r2 form" it will come up with a page in English from which you can download it.

UPDATE: I'd just like to add, the visas for Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan can be applied for up to 6 months in advance of your trip and are valid for a specified 30 (or 3-5 in the case of Turkmenistan) day period. Iran and China are valid for entry anytime within 3 months of getting the visa and then allow up to 30 days in the country (or however many days you're given).

UPDATE2: You cannot use cash machines (ATMs for you yanks) in Iran as they are not hooked up to the international networks. In addition, the black market exchange rate in Turkmenistan is 5 times higher than the official rate for hard currency and cash machines in Uzbekistan are apparently amost always empty as their largest bank note is worth about 80 cents. Therefore, you will need to take a large amount of cash with you, preferably in dollars. To make this even more problematic, I've heard reports of banks in Central Asia only accepting recently printed notes that are in perfect condition, and giving better exchange rate for larger notes. The good news however is that I found an amazing bureau de change called "Link FX" right next to Victoria station in London. Not only do they give a fantastic rate ($1.96 to £1, when the post office were offering $1.89!), but they also gave me freshly minted $100 notes.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)

Last edited by ajb3000; 06-20-2007 at 11:28 AM.
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
call me Condi!

You are AMAZING. Thank you for all that info. It's incredible.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
french touch

Thanks for sharing !

p.s. I pinned the thread.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Sigh. You're living a dream of mine, my friend...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

Wow, you're doing the whole road huh? That is AWESOME!!!

Can't wait to see pics!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
always trippin'

Awesome information! Hopefully I'll be able to put it to use sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Tpunk Senior Moderators

My my, aren't you just a fountain of wisdom!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Just had a phone call from the Turkmenistan consulate, I've been granted a 5 day transit visa for $46, need to go and collect my passport on Monday. It will only take 2-3 days of travelling to get across the country so can spend a couple of days sightseeing in Ashgabat as well :D.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
french touch

The good news keep coming ! I'm VERY happy for you.

Don't get caught like me though : make sure the 5-day visa is indeed for a period of 5 days inside the country instead of a limited number of days within those 5 days. In Poland, I misread my visa (I was only allowed 3 days over a 6-day period) and had to pay a fine upon departure.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Well for Turkmenistan you have to state the exact dates you wish to enter and exit, so I gave a 5 day period (which actually counts the day you enter as well, so not really 5 full days) and was told i was granted a visa for the full period asked for, which I made sure includes a friday and saturday night so I can go clubbing and enjoy some beers after spending 3 weeks in a dry country.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Just made a couple of updates to the first post as I went to London today and obtained a Chinese visa and added some information regarding money.

Oh, and I leave in 3 DAYS!!!