Noob with questions - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
hanoihannah

Default Noob with questions

Hi, I'm a noob. A group of friends and myself have decided to do some traveling. We are thinking of England and Scotland. It will be everyones first time overseas and we have a few questions. We are looking at staying in hostels. What do you do with your belongings when out sightseeing? Two of the girls have expressed the concern over whether they can fit everything they need in a backpack. It sounds silly, but must you be a backpacker to do the hostel thing? Also, what about keeping belongings safe while you are sleeping?
hanoihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Hostels will have lockers you can put all your stuff in while you're out or asleep. So be sure to bring a lock with you! Also if you arrive before check-in time, all the hostels I have been at locked my bags up so I could go out and sight-see or go eat or whatever before check-in.

As for any worries about fitting stuff into a pack, you are going to want a backpack when it comes to travel, certainly to more than 1 country, it will be a hassle, believe me you will be GLAD you took a pack versus a roller suitcase. Packs come in several sizes... I bought a 55L pack for a 18 day trip and it was plenty of room for everything (I'm a notorious over-packer too, so I feel your frends' pain). So you can gauge how long you wanna to go what size of pack you need. We have plenty of threads on the boards about which packs to buy if you need some help picking one!

And we've got plenty of Tpunks who have been to England & Scotland who will be able to help you out if you have hostel or itinerary questions!

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

hey hanoihannah, welcome to the boards, ya noob

No you don't actually need backpacks, you can use dufflebags or rolleys or old school hard-shelled suitcases, backpacking is more of a budget travel philosophy/lifestyle anyway.

But you may find that you bring too many clothes and that you could have survived on much, much less. Backpacks are useful in Europe because of those cobblestone roads that totally destroy rollies, and if you plan on getting to your hostel from the train/airport by public transportation, you may have to do some walking. Having one backpack also means you can just use it as a carry on in the airport and not have to deal with the drama of waiting for checked baggage.

So i am extremely confident that any human being can put everything they need in a backpack -- and also look good -- and live a clean and sanitary life. Less clothes also means you're forced to buy stuff on the road, which give you a great collection of t-shirts from around the world.

About watching your stuff - the only real essentials you should have are your passport, wallet and camera. Some hotels have lockers, some don't. If you stow the important stuff IN your pillow case while you sleep that solves the problem.

However, what will likely happen is that one night you'll get totally hammered and stumble back to the hostel and just pass out with your valuables everywhere and then wake up and realise that they are still there and then you'll start to be like, oh well i guess its safer than i thought. Only THEN will someone actually steal your stuff
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
haraamzadaa

Smile

Thats a hard one, what to do with your luggage. There are some security products by pacsafe pictured here. It's basically a Knife resistant wire mesh that goes around your back pack and you can attach it to a fixed item. This can also prevent someone ripping your pack open and grabbing your belongings without either picking the lock (the lock on this thing is quit robust), or damaging the item the mesh is affixed to. I have known one traveller who has had one of these and someone got into to it. However it is better then having nothing. Also consider a money belt or a packsafe duffle bag that can be secured with a padlock. The wire mesh comes in various sizes and I do think it would get round a small suitcase too. Most camping shops should sell this or an equivalent product. I hope thats gives you another idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiremesh.jpg (22.6 KB, 18 views)
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Annieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraamzadaa View Post
Thats a hard one, what to do with your luggage. There are some security products by pacsafe pictured here. It's basically a Knife resistant wire mesh that goes around your back pack and you can attach it to a fixed item. This can also prevent someone ripping your pack open and grabbing your belongings without either picking the lock (the lock on this thing is quit robust), or damaging the item the mesh is affixed to. I have known one traveller who has had one of these and someone got into to it. However it is better then having nothing. Also consider a money belt or a packsafe duffle bag that can be secured with a padlock. The wire mesh comes in various sizes and I do think it would get round a small suitcase too. Most camping shops should sell this or an equivalent product. I hope thats gives you another idea.
This is great! I'm lurking these threads right now to get ideas and I love this!
Annieg is offline   Reply With Quote