Life Dreams - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Anything Positive
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Anything Positive Need a pick-up, or just want to be inspired? This forum is for you =) Keep this forum clean: post only your positive/motivational/inspirational quotes, poems, stories, adive, tips, etc...in here.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

anthon and i got into a conversation last night about things we dream to do in our life. it all started when i saw a van with scubba diving advertised on it and remembered that i've always wanted to get certified and now i'm near an ocean. i could satisfy one of my life dreams.

so here are 5 of mine if no paticular order:

1. being certified to scubba dive and scubba diving cool places during our travels.

2. living on a sail boat for a summer and learning how to sail, maintain and navigate it.

3. hiking the Appalachian trail or it's equivalent in another country; which would satisfiy another of my goals of hiking in nepal.

4. establishing myself as a freelance photographer, traveling the world shooting photographs.

5. being able to do a cartwheel. (i'm serious)

it was kind of cool to think about things i've always wanted to do and how possible it is to do most of them. so what are some of everyone elses?

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I think we've got some common goals, Beth.

SCUBA Diving: After my introductory dives in the Great Barrier Reef, I can't wait to get certified and start diving anytime I go somewhere cool. The experience was just amazing.

Hiking: I'd love to hit the Appalachian Trail, but my dream hikes are probably the Inca Trail in Peru or the Milford Track in New Zealand.

Sailing: Now that I'm not afraid of the water anymore, I want to learn to sail. I live on a big, beautiful bay yet have never sailed it

Photography: Moving up to an SLR and taking kick-ass photos. I've recently migrated back to film a bit and the results have been encouraging. But professionally, I'd rather just take a few photos and spend the rest of the time writing about travel.

Snowboarding: As of this season I'll have North America's best mountains covered. It's my goal to ride Europe, South America, and New Zealand in the next few years. Maybe Mt. Fuji so I can say I handled Asia as well.

Skydiving: I will jump out of a perfectly good airplane. The sooner the better.

Other: The total destruction of Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Phil. Their stranglehold over our minds is keeping us from accomplishing the above goals!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

GET CERTIFIED!
Scuba diving is my favorite thing in the world. you are exploring the last frontier left on earth when your beneath the sea and there's nothing like it. It's an amazing feeling and its undescribable, i have been certified for 5 years now, and it is one of the things my father, brother and I do together.

Some of my dreams are...
1. Set foot on every continent
2. Get more into Photography and someday take pictures for NAT-GEO or just work for them or discovery or something
3. Hike the A.T. with my father
4. Graduate with a Masters degree in International Business
5. Have a family
6. Learn another language, well
7. Skydive
8. See as much of the world as absolutely possible
9. Scuba dive with Great whites and dive Antarctica
10. Do atleast one tour of duty in the US military
11. run with the bulls
12. live in another country
13. summit a 20,000ft + mountain
14. hit up all 50 states
15. never regret anything
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
nemesis331
Members

What i've already accomplished

DONE
-Get SCUBA certified
-Go to the Superbowl, NCAA bball finals, Stanley Cup (and see it won), college football game, world series, World cup
-left the country
-cliff/bridge jump
-camp in absolute nowhere
-attend college (halfway through)
-help people who have experienced a trajedy
-witness extreme weather, but i'd love to see more
-driven half-way cross the country
-attended a playboy party!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I'll be good and stick to five of my serious life goals.

1. Travel to every continent
2. Have Jake get his book published (I know that seems like it should be his goal, but I'm assisting and it means a lot for me)
3. Get established as a freelance photographer (as well) and either have a photo published on a major fashion magazine or work in the fashion industry
4. Get my Ph.D.
5. Buy a house somewhere other than Chicago, where I'll actually get a decent house for the killer mortgage, have/adopt children and stay married forever (yeah, it's kind of like one )

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

PS scuba diving is the most fantastic feeling (for me). Even the class was fun. It's so worth it.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

- be a good dad/husband
- get certified (would have been done this summer but preggo wife took priority over everything. she wants to redo hers too)...and more importantly shoot underwater photos!
- more travelling...Africa is first on the list as soon as Dylan is able to do it.
- start selling prints of my photographs
- get my side importing business fully on the go (more excuses to travel hehe)
- buy (or build) the house we want within 5 years, outside the city
- do the boating course here so I can drive my FIL's boat
- comfortably retire in Italy
Old 12-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

live in thailand at least one year

do the splits (both ways)

do a standing backflip (okay, maybe not)

master thai cooking

fly first class international a few times

do some world class hiking (the haute route AND the milford track at least)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
benna2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Great topic Beth.

1. Do some more traveling...Duh! There are many places I want to go, so I won't even begin to list them. I am guessing since this is a travel forum, this goal will pop up quite a bit.

2. Go on a reality show....like the Amazing Race. And win some money to further finance my travels!

3. Fall head over heels in love. Get married and have a family. This seems like kind of a boring goal, maybe because it is expected, but having a baby (someday...not something I want to rush into with the wrong person) is one thing that I really think I am meant to do.

4. Have some of my writing published. In a book, magazine or whatever.

5. Meet and have dinner with Oprah. Have her fall in love with my humour and mind and get so into me that she can't help but offer me a producing job on her show. But still a dream.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Jen05
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

I've always wanted to write down a whole list, but I guess now's not the time, seeing as I have a final to study for and the list might get kind of long, but here's a start:

- Have a career I'm happy with, even if it means spending years in school, not needing school to get there, whatever.

- Fall in love, for real

- Have the confidence to travel independently (I can see myself maybe doing this next year!)

- Do something that scares me so much, like skydiving, bungee jumping

That's all for now, but now I'm inspired to sit down and think of some more! Screw the final!

Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Great topic! So glad to see that so may tpunkers have ambitions in life that don't have anything to do with materialistic things. So many ppl do now days !

1.) I want to be a tour guide in some far away place. Like lead ppl on expeditions thru Africa etc. Get paid to travel. Oh yeah.
2.) I want to learn another language. Especially Spanish, so within the next two years I see myself heading down to Central America, living there for a bit and learning the language.
3.)Go back to New Zealand and doing the Nevis Bungy jump in Queenstown. I ran out of money when I was there earlier this year!
4.)Own property.
5.)Learn to Row. I mean I can row, but I want to go on those boats and join a team and compete with other teams.
6.)Learn how to BURP! Seriously I can't do it! I want to be able to burp really loud.

But saying all that I must admit I am really happy with my life right now. I have a job that i like (how often does that happen!) and my apartment rocks. I surround myself with good ppl. But the above are all something that I want to achieve in the future . I KNOW I will though. The good thing about me is when I say I'm going to do something it actually get's done!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

Jenn's Life Goals of the moment,

1) Be my own boss. Owning a nice little upscale retreat here in the Ontario wilderness. I'm tired of working for someone else!
2) Sailing around the world on a tall ship. I love the whole call of the sea thing and working really hard just to cross the oceans all by yourself. I get horribly sea-sick so we'll see how this pans out.
3) Not pick up any more married men!
4) Have my own dog-sled team and spend some time at the northern tips of canada exploring the arctic.
5) Shoot the BIG 5 of Africa (With a camera)

That's about all I can think of right now!

Jenn
Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
PS scuba diving is the most fantastic feeling (for me). Even the class was fun. It's so worth it.
It absolutely is. Its one of the few things that take me completely away from reality. Your only concern is the undersean panorama and the technical aspects of your dive (breathing, bouyancy, etc). There is no room in your mind for anything else.

The last dive I did on my last trip to Thailand was just about the most perfect experience ever. It was a twilight dive, so the light was still good, but slightly muted. Massive schools of small barracuda and tuna were out and hunting, fish were everywhere, the water was crystal clear. When we surfaced at the end of the dive, there was the beginning stages of an absoutely gorgeous orange sunset. I can honestly say that some of the best days of my life have been spent diving. It is so peaceful and spiritually reviving. You also meet the coolest people with the most varied travel experiences. It is absolutely the best.

I really envy the dive guides, who seem to all hop from one diving hotspot to another when the mood strikes. Spending every day out on the water would be fantastic.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
Qwardian
Members

5: Find that one special person to spend my life with, travel the world with them and live happily ever after.

4: Step foot on every continent

3: Own a house in at least three countries

2: Make a movie, just a cult classic, doesnt have to be a box office success

1: Leave a legecy for future generations to follow
Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
travelpunk
Admin

Wow....That sounds sweet!

I too can verify this awesome feeling. SCUBA diving (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus- for the noobs) is truly indescribable.

You kinda feel like you're flying underwater. 3/4 of the world is underwater, so imagine what we're missing out on!

Anyways, get certified y'all!

------------------

Back to Life's Dreams...

Honestly, call me a visionary cuz I don't really have dreams. I have visions. And whatever I vision myself doing in the future, I'm actually in the process of doing now or taking steps to achieve my goals.

The list is loooooonngggg, but here's a few-

In my control-

-To become active in organizations such as Habitat for Humanity
-To employ thousands (at this stage, I will have achieved almost everything on my list)
-To become a philanthropist
-To eat healthier, thus bringing my cholesterol level down
-To finally have a 6-pack of abs sometime in my lifetime.
-To never be labled as untrustworthy and or incapable of original thought
-To establish charitable organizations to help others in need
-To own a major sports team franchise
-To always give thanks and praise to the creator above
-Para ser fluido en español castellano
-To enjoy life, man....

Out of my control-

-To see Noah's Ark finally get discovered (or uncovered) on Mt. Ararat (it's there!).
-To see the Seahawks win the Superbowl
-To see the Mariners win the World Series
-To see the Supersonics win the NBA title

travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #16
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Love this topic Beth! Strange how most of everyones answers were about serious self development..Omi wants wrong with Dr Phil and Oprah? I miss Oprah (et al) we dont get it over here anymore.

Im going to seriously start to do some of these as New years resolutions and hopefully they wont be just dreams anymore:

Graduate from university in July 2006. This will make my mum so proud of me and i know that my Dad will be looking down from heaven having a toast of champagne for his little "petal"

Learn to drive I tried to learn to drive when i was 19 but i didnt have the patience. I now know its a necessity if i want to drive around the states at some point.

Lose weight and exercise more I used to weigh 140lbs a few years ago (no not when i was 10 ha ha) but through medical problems my weight has crept up on me so i would like to exercise more

Routinely check my breasts not because im a perv but for the risk of cancer

Learn to make great sushi It something i have always wanted to do and everyone should eat more fish

Get involved with organisations that assist Romani women and children After my recent trip to Hungary i have been enlightened by the problems that this minority group suffer from. I would like to by the time I am 30 have taught English free of charge to Romani kids in a summer programme or something similar

To make more time for me I am a spiritual person and i really need to make more time for meditation it seems to have slipped away from me in the last year

Travel around my own country I have never been to Scotland!

Camping I have been camping about 3 times in my life and apart from when i went to V festival hated it! I would love to go on a camping trip and enjoy myself

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
Jidin
Members

Lessee...

1. Get a book published
2. Get another book published...etc.
3. Travel until every travel agent and flight attendant knows me personally
4. Win a showdown with a Kungfu Master
5. Finally get my uptight friend in a drinking contest
6. Get a pooka
7. Get my sleep cycle totally nocturnal

From there, it's smooth sailing.
Jidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #18
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Goals...

- Leave this continent... it will happen.
- Make my business a success
- Get into Rally Car Racing
- Be involved in the rebuilding of Detroit and Michigan
- Find the girl of my dreams and get married, have kids.
- Help Travelpunk become a world domination
- Go back to school
- Become a pro poker player

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Dec 16 2005, 08:01 AM

Other: The total destruction of Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Phil. Their stranglehold over our minds is keeping us from accomplishing the above goals!
[snapback]93157[/snapback]
wanna do it ......seriously im down for that shit.

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
nemesis331
Members

I EFFIN HATE OPRAH!