Travelling with punks - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 AM   #21
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Ah, good for you - the attitude is everything! Poland would rock!!! We lived in Lithuania for two years, and I've visited Poland a couple of times, I just love it. Cost of living is a lot better than you'd get in England, too!

Good luck with selling the house and all the other prep, and any questions, ask away!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #22
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@May 12 2005, 11:03 AM
Since a few of you are facing this prospect and think I might have some insight (can't imagine why?) I'll start this topic with a little advice on travelling with little kids:

DO IT.

Ignore all the naysayers:* "they're too young" "they'll never remember or appreciate it" "it's such a waste of money" "you must be crazy" "how can you call that a holiday?"* We've heard it all, in ever increasing chorus as our family grows and if you're on this site, you have the attitude it takes to ignore these comments and get out there.* There is nothing like travelling with kids for seeing things in new ways and opening doors to cultures.

Except in North America and some parts of Europe, where it seems that children are considered best kept quietly at home (or better yet, at boarding school in another country) where they can't bother anyone, in most parts of the world, children are appreciated as the blessings they are, and are more likely to be cuddled and coddled than seen as a nuisance.

In North America, the most frequent reaction to our tribe is "4 kids?* You must be nuts!"* In most other parts of the world, the more common remark is "4 children?* You are rich."* If nothing else, travelling with our children has helped us appreciate that fact.

Now I have to engage in the nightly ritual of pjs and bedtime stories.* More to come from me, and you too, I hope!
[snapback]60820[/snapback]

I have 6 brothers and sisters and am the primary guardian for my littlest sister if our mom and her dad happen to pass away. Well this subject came up a few weeks back when I was trying to convince my mom to let her come visit me while I was in Sweden. (She’s 8, maybe too young to be on an international plane ride?) But I would love to have her come and spend time with me!

Anyway, I told my sis that if they die she can come live with me in India in huts or where ever I’ll be. (I’m still in college, but will hopefully go to the Peace Corps afterwards and become a professional traveler). She was thrilled with the idea of living overseas (not of my ‘rents dieing). Anyway she asked if we could go to China. She cracks me up…. Sorry guys I get corny about my little sis.

Just curious does anyone have any opinions on whether 8 is too young to do an international flight, from say Oklahoma to Stockholm?

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #23
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

If you're waiting for her at the Stockholm Airport and she's excited about the trip it should be fine. Flight attendants are super nice to children, even more so if they are flying on their own, and they get VIP treatment!!

So I think as long as her parents board her (with stuff to entretain herself for the flight) and you pick her up the second she arrives she should be absolutely fine! (IMO)
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #24
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

well i never knew this post existed....i think im gonna go get pregnant this weekend so i can do all this fun and exciting stuff...(joke about the pregnant part!) but seriously you have given some great tips TW for when i do think about having a child

EKC11 WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
Echeverry

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

Yeah, I totally understand what you mean! I don't have kids nor do I plan on having any. Still, I have my little sister (12 years old) and I can't wait to start travelling with my midget, I mean she normally does the U.S, Colombia, Venezuela crap. But I want to take her to the places that are nothing like what she knows, just to see her face of seeing something new (really new), that same face she had when she was a baby and finally found out how to work the T.V or the first time I took her to a minors club. stuff like that. Or just the first time I showed her how to play drums at the inner studio, priceless. Simply priceless.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #26
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Regarding "unaccompanied minors", you'd have to check with the airlines for their exact policies, but I know for sure that 10 year olds can travel unaccompanied if they are dropped off and collected by pre-arranged people at each end. They generally have a flight attendant assigned to take them to meet the person that's going to pick them up. I don't know about younger kids, but regardless of the policy, I think the critical thing is that your sister feels comfortable with the prospect of the flight - sounds like she does.

Stockholm is a fabulous city for kids - all the museums have amazing kid-friendly exhibits or activity areas, and Junibacken is incredible.

Last night we watched a movie set in the Vatican, and when they did the pan shots of the Colosseum and St. Peter's Square, our three year old jumped up and said "We've been there! That's Rome!" I love it when that happens.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #27
ekc11
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal@Jul 10 2006, 01:23 PM

EKC11 WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!
[snapback]130369[/snapback]
Thanks for the welcome beergal!! I'm busily preparing myself for our big move so I haven't had a chance to check the boards very often.

It's nice to know that life does not end once there is a little munchkin in the picture (mine just turned 3 july 15th... yikes! they grow up soooo fast!! )

ekc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #28
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Wow... most excellent tips on travelling with kids...

I would never let the prospect of having a kid be an excuse for not travelling. I figure kids are pretty hard core and can probably handle travelling better than most middle aged people. Just have to make it exciting for them. I don't have any... yet. But I will. I would be more inclined to travel just for their experience then for mine.

Most definitely a worthwhile topic... excellent job TW

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM   #29
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks, it's fun to share my passions.

The current trip in the planning stages is a birthday circuit for my son's 6th. The plan is to visit some of my cousins in Belgium for a couple of days, then on his birthday have breakfast in Belgium, lunch in Luxembourg, and dinner in Deutschland.

Now I've got to find zoos or amusement parks or other cool things to do in between, since the drive itself is only a couple of hours. One stop I'm thinking about is the Catacombs in Luxembourg City - I've heard they're fun for kids. Any thoughts anyone?

So far he has celebrated his birthday in 7 different countries, so these three more will bring the total to 10. Not bad for a six year old...

I love Europe.