Digital Cameras - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #21
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

My sister has that camera, and the pics sure beat my Fuji FinePix...and thats sayig alot!

I have never heard he complain it was too bulky...she raves about it.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #22
afterlife3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

Top digital cameras are Canon and Nikon. I have a Canon G3 the best series that Canon offers except for the Digital Camera/SLR combo. The G6 recently came out but is about 700USD. Depends on how much you want to spend.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #23
space virgin
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by jabad17@Feb 22 2005, 04:18 PM
i've been looking around and the new canon canon a510 seems to be a great camera except for the bulk.* has anyone used this camera? is the slight size difference that annoying?
The A510 isn't bulky at all. It's not teeny tiny and able to fit into an altoids tin like a couple others, but it's smaller than my A85, which isn't all that big either. It's a good camera.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #24
Pepin_151
Members

Send a message via MSN to Pepin_151 Send a message via Yahoo to Pepin_151

Cannon Rebel K2 nuff' said

I'm powered by Winegums,mmmm winegum
Pepin_151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #25
fallenleafs
Members

I just purchased a pentax s5i. It is quite little and is a 5 megapixel camera. I also got a 1gb sd card to go along with it. It should serve me very well while on the road. If you want to read about the camera go here

fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #26
jayjay1384
Members

Send a message via AIM to jayjay1384
Talking

Hey guys. I work for Hewleltt Packard out of Florida and I work with every brand of digital camera also since I work with retailers all over in my territory. Today I bought myself a Nikon 4200, 4.0 megapixel. Its a nice camera and I got a great bargin.

To let everyone know if you have a 3.0 megapixil camera and are only printing 4x6 photos that is sufficient. 4x6 photos can only print at 3.0 megapixil. Now if you want to make your photos 8.5x11 you will need a higher resulution camera . Those photos at that size print at 5.0 megapixils. Its late and im not sure that makes any sense right now. Bottom line buy a camera 3.0 or above and always go with 3x optical zoom

Good Cameras
Canon
Sony
Nikon
Olympus

Other makers such as Fuji, Kodak, HP you need to buy the more expensive ones to get the better quality
jayjay1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 AM   #27
Dreaser
Members

i gotta agree with jay jay.
my camera is 4.1 mega pixel and 3Xoptical zoom
the picture quality is tremandous, i do wish though i had more optical zoom. (digital zoom is ok but the quality of the pics suffer, so i normall only use optical)

my advice find one with 4-5 megapixel, and as much optical zoom as possible

ohh heres the link to mine.
and some of the pics taken with it
Dreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #28
space virgin
Yoda

You know, with the right photo lab, you can get great pictures at larger sizes than you would think-- I have some absolutely GORGEOUS 8x10 print outs from my old 2 megapixel camera! Seriously. I've gone over and over them and can only *barely* see the tiniest bit if blurriness, and it's almost always in tree leaves in the background. And that's only if my nose is practically resting against the photo. BUT-- it was a very good camera. (Canon A60)
Old 02-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #29
jayjay1384
Members

Send a message via AIM to jayjay1384

With a 2 megapixil camera you still will get really great shots too, if you are on a budget of have one lying around somewhere they are still great and yes if you do choose to make your photo 8.5X11 they will look very nice.

You can get a nice 2 mP camera for around 100.00$

As a reminder:
Digital Zoom - this zoom takes the existing picture and expands it to zoom which does reduce the overall quality

Optical Zoom- Is true zoom and dosnet effect the quality of the picture.

HEY SPACE VIRGIN THE A60 ROCKS!!!!!

jayjay1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #30
Croaker
Members

I work in television video and audio engineering mostly for NBC shows in Burbank. We're constantly playing with and testing digital video and still cameras for new toys. The digital photography industry has gotten to the point where just about any digital camera (especially in the 4 megapixel range) will take quality photos. If you're not picky about features or photo printing just bargain shop the major brands. If you want the best at any price get a Canon. It's the industry standard for professional photographers in the buisiness.
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #31
britkettle
Members

Send a message via AIM to britkettle Send a message via Yahoo to britkettle

So I finally ordered my camera! After a ton of research and talking to people, I decided on the Fuji E500. It is a 4 megapixel camera with 3.2x optical zoom. I decided to get it because after looking at a lot of different cameras, the Fuji seemed like it was made better with aluminum casing and an aluminum lens cover. Other features that I liked were the HUGE screen on the back and the movie feature.

The biggest thing was that I got the camera for $145 (it cost $230 at Wal-Mart), so it will take great pictures, and if it gets lost or stolen I won't be totally heartbroken.
britkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #32
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

where'd u get it from that it was cheaper than walmart?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #33
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Best site I've found for digital camera info is www.dpreview.com They will give you more information about a camera than you ever thought you'd want...

I've got two digital cameras now. One is my take everywhere 2mp Casio Exilim EX-S1. Outdated now, but it's a really awesome point and click camera, and it fits in an Altoids tin, meaning I always have it when I need it. (I got tired of saying "Gee! I sure wish I had my camera right now!")

For shots I've got more time to set up, I've got a Olympus C-8080 wide zoom. (8MP) Awsome image quality, for about half the price of the SLR cameras. (I paid $525 for mine) It's big and heavy, but if you want to take something more than snapshots (or believe you may just be a semi-talented photographer) spend your money on quality. It does everything my 35mm Pentax will do, cept I can't change lenses.

I've heard good about that Fuji! Make sure you post your photos...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #34
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

i'm saving to try to get the nikon D70. i'll be so stoked if i can get it before the summer. anyone have a D70? how's the preformance?

as for pocket cameras though, i saw a large majority of travelpunks during our meet-ups with canon digitals and the quality is just awesome!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #35
afterlife3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

SD, my brother just got one a couple of months ago. It is a sweet camera, too many buttons for me though, im not yet camera sabby for that camera. Id say go for it.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #36
mjgeo
Members

Apart from dpreview.com which is an excellent independent site for camera reviews, try reviews.cnet.com and check the user reviews of the cameras. They can often give a great guide to how a camera will work when taken out of the hands of the professionals.
It can also give some warnings that you would otherwise not hear from a professional review or salesperson.
E.G. the e18 error on some Canon cameras, damage from high humidity (and warranty issues), low quality images in certain conditions.

Just for the record, I purchased a Canon A95 a few days ago, 5mp, 3x optical zoom. Sure, it is a bit bulky compared to other cameras I was looking at. But from all accounts it takes the best photos for that range and price (AU$430).
Remember too, the mp count doesn't mean much if the lens is crap and doesn't take in much light. And the zoom at high end is useless if you can't keep a camera steady.

"He who strays discovers new paths."
mjgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #37
Qwardian
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by jabad17@Feb 22 2005, 08:17 AM
i've been looking around and the new canon canon a510 seems to be a great camera except for the bulk.* has anyone used this camera? is the slight size difference that annoying?
That is a seriosly sweet camera. I purchased the A520 myself.

I sell Over 56 different kinds of digital cameras so I feel I can offer some sound advice.
The biggest features of the camera. First of all it has a 4x optical zoom. Not a 4x digital zoom but a 4x optical zoom. It uses both SD and MMC cards. The cheapest form of flash memory on the market. It has the ability to add telephot, macro, wide angel and many other lenses to it. I purchased a 3x optical telephoto lens for it, that gave me a total of 12x zoom. The camera is LOADED with features, yet its easy to learn and use. my favorite (and excellent for traveling) is a feature called "stiching." Dont know what it is? look into it. Its sooo cool. Heres my opinion on other brands.

Sony: Nice cameras but they only use there own type of memory sticks. the most expensive on the market. highest available in a average price range is 512mb and it will cost you arround $110 Canadian

Panasonic: Love these Cameras, Leica lens on any model that has LC in the model name, uses SD Cards fantastic. No complaints.

Olympus: Really nice cameras. They know what they are doing. Almost all their cameras use XD cards now, 2nd most expensive cards.

Fuji: Not a fan, alot of simple problems. You can get a 5 mp camera for under $300 but you get what you payed for, also uses XD.

HP: Sorry Jayjay, but they are junk. Absolute junk. Never seen so many problems with electronics as with hp products let alone cameras. The software is commonly refered to as a the white and blue virus discs. any cards over 512 and they fuck up.

Kodac: Been around for awhile, easy to use. Typically purchased by old people.

Canons: Love em, I own one and my friend who works with me owns one. well made.

Heres some other things to think about.

Optical Zoom: A good thing to look for, it gets the image closer to the shutter allowing it to get the detail.

Digital zoom: Crap, dont even bother with it.

Memory cards: Most cameras now a days can handle 1 gig. aka 1024 mb. I say most because of my comment earlier. SD and MMC are almost the same but are actually different. Anything that can take an SD can take an MMC, but not always the otherway around. Best of all they can be used in almost everything, mp3 players, pda's etc etc which has helped make them cheaper. they are the cheapest on the market. Sony has its own, in fact it has 2 of its own. the pro and the duo. duo is smaller and costs more. Its just a little bit longer than an SD card.
Flash aka Smart, no one uses them anymore, they cost too much to make and they break and they dont hold nearly enough info.
XD used by Fuji ad olympus. Because they are only used by these brands they tend to cost more.
Compact Flash, can get them upto 5 gigs now for under $250, however they are a microdrive which means they get hot and tend to break often.

Megapixels. Bigger is better right? wrong. the higher the mega pixels the more room it takes on you card which means the less pictures you get on your card. Unless you plan on printing picture larger than 8 x 10 (the size of computer paper) anything over 4 megapixels becomes overkill. 3.2 to 4 is the best way to go. you get great pictures and have room for lots of pictures on your cards.

If anyone has any questions just ask, I do this for a living.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #38
space virgin
Yoda

^

I have a Canon PowerShot A85 (the A520 is the new version of it). It's been very, very good to me. Currently I'm lusting after the A95 though because of the swivel screen, and I think it has a slightly better lens and it's 4x optical zoom instead of my current 3x... plus it takes compact flash memory, of which I have about a gig's worth of cards. I don't want to have to go buy new memory til I absolutely HAVE TO, dammit!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #39
Qwardian
Members

correct me if I am wrong but your A85 has a little button on the front of your camera that allows the little ring to come off?

If so thats the adapter. you can but a 2x or a 3x telephoto lens that will allow you to turn your 3 time zoom into 6x or 9x. Not too shabby.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #40
space virgin
Yoda

Yes, you're right, it does, and I should, but I need to do some research on good lenses first. I'm an incorrigible tech whore. I want the swivel screen, lol... Do I need it? No. Does my camera take perfectly lovely pictures (like this) without it? Of course. Do I care? nah.