Safe to Travel in Middle East - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Middle East

Middle East See the Promised Land, the Red Sea, magnificient ruins and mosques, oil-rich metropoles. When you're done with that, go skiing and rock climbing !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
mushroom22
TPunk Recognized

Default Safe to Travel in Middle East

My sister and I are trying to plan a trip next May for a few weeks. We have been talking about the Middle East - the only thing I am concered about is safety. Anyone have any input about 2 girls traveling around the area.

Right now, I'm wanting to go to Syria, Jordan and Isreal.

Thanks
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

As it stands right now you should consider going to Israel last as many Middle Eastern countries could very likely deny you entry based upon the Israel stamp in your passport. And keep in mind for future trips that this may also happen (I'm NOT saying that it definitely WILL happen, just that it is very possible).

As long as you have your wits about you I think that traveling in the Middle East would be fantastic!! But then again I also suggest "having your wits about you" for travel anywhere in the world. I've heard wonderful things about Jordan and Syria. A friend of mine is headed there next month.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom22 View Post
My sister and I are trying to plan a trip next May for a few weeks. We have been talking about the Middle East - the only thing I am concered about is safety. Anyone have any input about 2 girls traveling around the area.

Right now, I'm wanting to go to Syria, Jordan and Isreal.

Thanks
You'll be fine. All three countries you are visiting are more-or-less secular, and all treat women most-or-less progressively.

In terms of crime and safety, north america is more of a concern. Politically, there is unlikely to be another war over the Golan Heights, there is no intifada right now, and Jordan is... well, Jordan.

SYRIA: I've been there. It's probably the safest Middle Eastern country, and most likely one of the safest in the world in terms of regular crime - very low rates. Check your foreign ministry's travel advisories. The only risk really, is terrorism, and I mean... you're not safer anywhere in the West. Besides that, Syria has some of the friendliest locals and some of the most spectacular indiana jones style sites to offer.

JORDAN: never been, but I have heard much about it. I would definitely go next time. PETRA! Camping with Bedoiuns!

ISRAEL: Also never been, but I hear its basically like being in the West. There's a saying that Turkey and Israel are "middle east light"... especially I'm sure you'll hit up the beaches along the medditeranian and believe you're in LA.

Ohhh damn, Flickr took down my Turkey-Syria pics... goddamn it! Anyway they're beautiful, trust me. Turkey is also an awesome place, and if you're going to the region, its a nice place to start out.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by space virgin View Post
As it stands right now you should consider going to Israel last as many Middle Eastern countries could very likely deny you entry based upon the Israel stamp in your passport.
This is true, although I hear from friends nowadays that the Isarelis give you papers instead of a stamp, so you don't have to check the "yes, I have visited occupied palestine" box on your syria visa application.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Sounds like a good trip. I almost went to Jordan this year to see Petra, and my research suggested it was very safe...that's where all the civilians working for companies supporting Iraq are stationed and the locals mostly even speak english.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
mushroom22
TPunk Recognized

Thanks all!

Space Virgin- Let me know how your friends trip goes.

Canadian Bacon- Would love to see your photos! Can you repost them??

Anyone heard anything about visiting the West Bank? Good idea or bad? I have a friend who went there and he highly reccommended it to me. He said people just like to tell their story - and it's safe to visit too.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as we drill down in planning
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
This is true, although I hear from friends nowadays that the Isarelis give you papers instead of a stamp, so you don't have to check the "yes, I have visited occupied palestine" box on your syria visa application.
People always say this but I wonder if its true. Lets say you entered Israel from say Jordan for example. You would get a Jordan exit stamp. Regardless of whether or not you have an Israel stamp, when the Syrian officials look at your passport they will see from the exit stamp that you crossed at a Jordanian border crossing on the border of Israel. There's only one place you can go from there. Plus even if they didn't show the name of the border towns, there would be a suspicious gap of time in your passport.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom22 View Post
Thanks all!

Space Virgin- Let me know how your friends trip goes.

Canadian Bacon- Would love to see your photos! Can you repost them??

Anyone heard anything about visiting the West Bank? Good idea or bad? I have a friend who went there and he highly reccommended it to me. He said people just like to tell their story - and it's safe to visit too.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as we drill down in planning

Syria photos... I uploaded them on Facebook, I think you can check them out at this link: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...3d&id=28103319

West Bank: Yeah there's a funny story about that. I met this Japanese backpacker in Damascus who had backpacked through Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and went through the West Bank, where he asked the taxi driver to "drop him off at some cheap accomodations", and the taxi dropped him in the middle of a refugee camp!!! But he said there was a hotel there with electricity and running water, so it was fine... hahaha.

But seriously, since the whole Hamas vs. Fatah thing, backpacking the West Bank is going to have its risks. Try to establish some contacts there BEFOREHAND so you have someone to call just in case shit goes down. That being said, I would still totally go.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

I heard Israel wont stamp on a separate paper anymore. The US govt will let you get 2 passports if you want to go to Israel and then to another middle eastern country. You still have to pay for the second passport though.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

I'm telling you... if you're in the region, Turkey is a great place to start out.

In case you need some convincing... pics from Istanbul, one of the greatest cities on earth. http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...f5&id=28103319

Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
mushroom22
TPunk Recognized

CB- Sweet photos, thanks for sharing! I don't need too much convincing on Turkey, I figure either there, Egypt or Dubai would be easiest to fly into.

Speaking of, what is the easiest public transit over there?

I still have to coordinate with getting the time off from work, but now I'm so excited - it has to work out.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Since all the trains over there were built by imperialists to steal Middle Eastern artifacts and place in nice European museums, the train infrastructure doesn't really serve the people that well.

Buses are the best way to get around, or even long distance taxis. The cheaper the transit, the more danger there is... such as sketchy minibuses.

Just so you know, the train ride from Istanbul to Aleppo is 35 hours.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
space virgin
Yoda

Heh. Gotta love those long-distance train rides. My collective train time in India amounted to about 100 hours or so but I think I may be forgetting a journey or two in there somewhere. That doesn't include the hours in a car or bus which are probably another 100... sigh. Getting around can eat up a LOT MORE TIME on your trip than you think, so be prepared for that!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
Ecky
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Quote:
I'm telling you... if you're in the region, Turkey is a great place to start out.

In case you need some convincing... pics from Istanbul, one of the greatest cities on earth.
Hey CB, thanks for posting those pics!

"...This story is proof of the theorem that then as today in Chicago, the mysterious equation of whiskey plus music equals what can only be called happiness. "
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #15
Vincent

Its all about Yemen dude.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I flew from Israel to Jordan in 1999 and they didn't stamp my passport in Israel. Nor did they do it back in ancient history (1981) when I went there the first time. I've been to a number of Islamic countries since then, and no one has scrutinized my passport to determine if I flew from somewhere marked in my passport to somewhere unmarked (Israel).

Why don't you ring up the Israeli embassy or consulate in your country and doublecheck? They should know, but the Israelis know that if they insisted upon stamping passports that folks who want to see other areas of the middle east might bypass their country...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
travelpunk
Admin

Quote:
Just so you know, the train ride from Istanbul to Aleppo is 35 hours.
35 hrs! Dude....Can you say Preparation H! Yeeeowzah!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

A friend just got back from Israel (flying in and out), and despite requesting them not to stamp his passport, they did anyway. When I was in Jordan I also met a few people that went across by land, they all requested no stamp and most of them were not stamped, although a couple were.

I decided not to risk it.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote