Trip to Thailand - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
valwarren
Members

Hi all, first time using these boards so I'm unsure how well they work!

I'm travelling to Thailand on my own on the 19th of Feb and will spend about a week in Bangkok before heading down to the Islands for another 3 weeks taking in the Full Moon Party on March 3rd on the way!
It will also be my first time in Aisa so I don't really know how easy it is to meet people on the way for nights out and general touristy stuff!

So if anyone has any advice they would like to share or indeed if there is anyone visiting Thailand at that time and would like to meet up for the laugh please give us a shout.

Cheers, Val.

valwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

No shortage of people to meet in Thailand. Just hit the bars on Khao San Road and find some people heading that way. Buy a sim card for your cell phone as it is cheap here. You will have a great time!

BTW, I am in Thailand now but leave Jan 24.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
valwarren
Members

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foofiter @ Dec 11 2006, 02:42 AM) [snapback]146329[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
No shortage of people to meet in Thailand. Just hit the bars on Khao San Road and find some people heading that way. Buy a sim card for your cell phone as it is cheap here. You will have a great time!

BTW, I am in Thailand now but leave Jan 24.

Foo

[/b]

Cheers Foo, is Khao San Road in Bangkok?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
jeza
Members

yeh it is

check out the forum on http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/

im meeting up with a few party animals from there on the 3rd jan party.

make sure u stay in haad rin beach if ur by yourself. last time i went i ended up out abit and was boring so had to move into haad rin, cost me double but was worth it...awesome time!
jeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 AM   #5
valwarren
Members

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeza @ Dec 12 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]146426[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
yeh it is

check out the forum on http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/

im meeting up with a few party animals from there on the 3rd jan party.

make sure u stay in haad rin beach if ur by yourself. last time i went i ended up out abit and was boring so had to move into haad rin, cost me double but was worth it...awesome time!
[/b]
Nice one Jeza, checked it out already, Looks great!

Enjoy the 3rd, the weeks are just crawling by waiting for Feb to arrive, I can't wait!!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
gazz

Send a message via MSN to gazz

heres part of a mail i sent a mate that just went there hope some of it helps,its an awesome party!

> when you jump off the plane you wanna go out the main door and get a ticket for a taxi from the ticket booth place.tell them you want to go to KO SAN ROAD.you HAVE to make them use the meter they will try tell you 400bht or something but it should cost 200-250 on the meter and you gotta pay 50baht airport fee,you may have to pay a toll aswell if you go on expressway.
>
> get them to drop you off at soi rambutri this is a little lane just by ko san rd its way quiter and cheaper here,bella bella guest house is where i stayed its 200bht for a room with a fan.
>
> see if you can get to pat pong thats where the ping pongs are see if you can find someone to go with you shouldnt be too hard
>
> you probably wanna book a ticket to go to ko phangan as soon as you can if you can get a package that includes train,bus,ferry that would be best this is what i paid i organised it myself but think its easier to get a package
>
> train 550bht 2nd class sleeper
> bus & ferry 300bht
>
> when you get to ko phangan you wanna into the back of a ute and get a ride to hat rin this is the main place on the island dont pay more than 50bht to get there.you should be able to get anywhere on the island fo 50 and this is even a rip of as anywhere else in thailand it would cost 20bht

> get the taxi to drop you off at coral bungalows this is a real nice resort on the beach that has a pool bar and hotties everywhere you dont wanna stay here cos it costs a fortune but you can just hang out there and get on the piss.
> as you are walking down the driveway to this place there is some rooms on the left just behind the building with laundry on the road,there is no sign but if you walk in there and find someone you can get a real nice room for 250bht they dont speak much english but try sort it cause this is the best place i could find and i looked at about 10 different ones.
> if this is no go there is places on both sides that are around 3-400 and then you can just hang out at coral for free.
>
> the main town/beach is about 10min walk away there and just go down the beach in the night chill on the plastic chairs on the beach and get$$$$$$$,its quite til bout 10 but you can chill b4 then and meet people.
> if you wanna see a band theres a place called same same backpackers they got a bar there that has a band some nights.be real carefull with your money and shit round there cause they get ya when your wasted
>
Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Khao San Rd is the primary backpacker hangout in Bangkok. There are loads of guest houses and cheap hotels, pubs etc. It is also fairly close to the Grand Palace and other sights like that that are on the river. You will have no problem meeting people. You can meet people from every corner of the world there. Do an internet search on Khao San Road and you will turn up loads of stuff. Enjoy. Thailand is a fantastic place to visit!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
valwarren
Members

Nice one Gaz and Livefreeordie, some great tips there. Looked up Khao San Road, definately worth a looks me thinks!

Cheers Lads, Val.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
argylecat26
Members

I'll be in Thailand for a bit beginning Feb 16. It will also be my first time there so if you want I'd be happy to meet up for a drink
argylecat26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
valwarren
Members

Hey argylecat26, That'd be great, I'd love to, you in the middle of travels at the moment? What's your plan for Thailand?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
argylecat26
Members

I WISH I was in the middle of a trip right now. Unfortunately i'm still here in grad school. I'm taking a bit of time in feb/march obviously and I can hardly wait!

I dont have a complete plan as of yet, but I would like to be in Bangkok through Chinese New Year and then I think I'll be taking the rather well-traveled route to Angkor and then through Laos.
How about you?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
valwarren
Members

That's sounds great. I'm arriving in Bangkok on the 20th and plan to stay there for maybe 4-5 days and after that I'll probably head down south to some of the islands, catch the Full Moon party in Ko-phangan on the 3rd of March while I'm at it! I'm leaving for Oz then on the 20th of March for a year on a working visa.

Looks like drinks in Bangkok then if your still interested, maybe do a few touristy stuff on the way!!

Also just to let you know, my name is Val (obviously), I'm 28 male and form Cork in Ireland and I'm very down to earth and easy going! :D
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
argylecat26
Members

Sounds like an awesome trip to me. I *should* still be in BKK at that time so drinks it is!
I'm 25 Female from Canada but living in the US for now. Feel free to send me an email or somethin and we'll see what we can work out.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
argylecat26
Members

oh yeah and my name is Alayna.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
valwarren
Members

Hi Alayna, same name as my little cousin, it's fairly unusual, well over here anyway, nice though!

Yea I can't wait to be honest, not even thinking about Oz at the moment, too excited about Thailand.

Can't seem to send you an e-mail though, admin won't let me, I think you have it blocked, not sure. Try sending me one if you can, its valwarren@hotmail.com

Talk soon:D
Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #16
Chocolaty Claire
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Ive just come back from Thailand on my own and i can safely say it is very easy to meet people so dont worry.

First of all get a hostel just off Ko San Road, this is the main area where all the backpakers hang out, theres a real friendly, party atmosphere.
Grab a drink and sit in any bar you like the look of and people watch, if you dont fancy the sound of people watching then bring a book... you WILL strike a convo with someone i assure you.

I found some people within a day who were going to the full moon party, so i tagged along with them.. booked my tickets with them, and stayed with them on Ko Samui & Ko Pen Ghan.
One things for sure, most of the westeners who hang out on Ko San Road will be going to the full moon party.

There are travel agents everywhere, bus-boat combination tickets available to anywhere, it so incredibly easy to get about and meet people.
You'll have a wicked time

Dance like no-one's watching
Sing like no-one's listening
Love like you've never been hurt
And eat chocolate like it won't make you fat
Chocolaty Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
valwarren
Members

Thanks Choclatety Claire, have been recommended Ko San Road already and is definately first stop on the agenda now.

What was the Full Moon Party like? Where did you stay and would you recommend it?

Thanks for the comment, sounds like you had a ball, must be depressing being back in rainy Manchester though??
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
RenzoMSP
Members

Hi everyone. My names Art. Im planning on traveling to Thailand in May for three weeks with some buddies. Im planning on hitting up three places. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. I never been to Asia and im wondering is it fairly safe for Americans? Also are flights pretty cheap within Thailand? If anyone could give me some insight on what to expect and what to check out in those areas, Id greatly appreciate it. Oh I dont have concrete dates yet, but it looks like May 7-28th, so i wouldnt mind meeting up with some people. -Thanks Art
RenzoMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

I never made it to Chiang Mai, but spent some time in Bangkok and Phuket. I never felt unsafe, but use common sense. One of my friends almost got robbed by a little motorbike gang, but he pulled a knife and stabbed one of them in the leg. They made off with his necklace, but that was the end of it. No shit. Of course that probably could have been avoided by not walking alone, drunk, down the street in the middle of the night.

Good luck with your trips...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #20
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Hi everyone. My names Art. Im planning on traveling to Thailand in May for three weeks with some buddies. Im planning on hitting up three places. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. I never been to Asia and im wondering is it fairly safe for Americans? Also are flights pretty cheap within Thailand? If anyone could give me some insight on what to expect and what to check out in those areas, Id greatly appreciate it. Oh I dont have concrete dates yet, but it looks like May 7-28th, so i wouldnt mind meeting up with some people. -Thanks Art

Art - welcome to Travelpunk!! Thailand is quite safe for Americans, but you need to use common sense. Also, watch out if you are holding something of value in your hand while in Bangkok (such as a wallet or mobile phone). These guys on motorbikes will zip by and yank it right out of your hand. Be especially vigilant while getting out of taxis because you are usually distracted while trying to pay the fare. Also, make sure you understand what a Ladyboy is

Flights within Thailand are quite cheap. Some airlines to check out are:

http://www.nokair.com
http://www.airasia.com

You generally need to always connect through Bangkok, so you will not find any direct flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket, for example.

I don't know that I can list everything there is to see in the places you are going - there is a lot to do! I have been to all three regions, however, so do some searches on the web and if you have some specific questions, I would be happy to offer opinions if it is something I am familiar with. you will have a fantastic time - Thailand is a really great place!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote