Questions & tips: BACKPACKS & MONEY BELTS - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
whereshegoes
Members

Talking

I went around the world for three years with this:

Eagle Creek's Bhatah Sab ($150) is essentially a heavy-duty daypack that incorporates a smaller around-town bag. With its framesheet suspension, the 2,300-cubic-inch pack can handle over 30 pounds, not to mention a 300-cubic-inch lumbar pack (it also has shoulder straps) that zips off the mother ship.

And it was the best thing I ever had. It was small enough to even carry on airplanes...I don't know if they make it anymore but if they do...get one. It rocks.

As for money belts, girls with padded bras can always stuff a few bills in there when they go clubbing with no pockets. You know the little place where you can remove the pads from? There. But don't try to get it out when your dancing or at the bar...trust me, you don't look inconspicuous shoving your hands in there.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #22
Marcfj
Members

Having had two Bergans backpacks in my life I will swear by them. I bought my first Bergans backpack in Norway many years ago and hitchhiked all over Western Europe, Asia and Australia with it until it was, unfortunately, mortally wounded by a passing cattle truck in Queensland after I had set it down by the side of the road.
http://www.bergans.no/sider_eng/start.htm
Marcfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:24 PM   #23
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monsignor@Jun 6 2005, 07:38 AM
I picked up this bag:

Eagle Creek Ultimate Explorer

I wanted a one pack for everything kind of bag.* I've not done a lot of travelling with it yet, but I love the built in rain fly/duffel thing...* when I take it on an airplane, it zips into a waterproof (lockable) duffle so the straps and stuff don't get all hung up on everything.* The bag itself is well made, pretty sturdy, and has an internal frame and adjustable back so that it fits even my torso well, and distributes the load easily.* The day pack seems to be the ideal size, too... small enough to be convenient for me but large enough for my camera/laptop/iPod etc...

the downsides?* it only takes small padlocks, and uses several to lock the zippers shut.* The pocket for the hydration system is behind where all your clothes go, so, you wind up partially unpacking to get to it for refills, etc.* The rainfly/duffel fits inside a pocket in the bottom, but it takes up space and leaves a little void around it at the bottom of the pack.

pricey, too (nearly $200, but you get what you pay for)
[snapback]65053[/snapback]

I'm looking into buying a bag, and I really like this one. But of course, I'm here in Iraq and I can't try them out in person. So, I guess maybe you said everything you know above, but anything else I should know before I jump in and buy this one? Also, did you get it on the Internet? I can't find a site that sells them.

So if you were going to be traveling for 3-5 months, this bag would work well? Not only for city travelling but also real mountain backpacking. Any advice?

Damn I wish I could just try it out in person.

Thanks a lot!

Josh
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #24
nemesis331
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

you can buy that bag from the eagle creek website!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #25
glitterhairdye

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

I just picked up my backpack, it's the REI Women's Grand Tour. Has anyone used it? All the people said that it was a really good one, and it's on sale so it was the nicest one in my price range.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #26
d00d
Members

I am looking for an ok pack for my month trip, i guess i don't have too much to carry but i have no clue about packs, all i know is i need to lock it up at all times. I was looking at www.campmor.com and their "hot deals" did have some nice looking packs but i dont know if they are good. Or in my eyes good nuff'. They have like 150 dollar jansportrs for 60 bucks, so is jansport shitty? what about kelty? I have like no money because i spent it all on tickets and passes and the rest is for spending in Europe. Also how big of a pack do u think i should get?

Thanks a lot !
d00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #27
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Sep 18 2005, 01:48 PM) [snapback]77280[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
As for money belts, girls with padded bras can always stuff a few bills in there when they go clubbing with no pockets. You know the little place where you can remove the pads from? There. But don't try to get it out when your dancing or at the bar...trust me, you don't look inconspicuous shoving your hands in there.
[/b]
Lol this tends to be my general policy when i go to town even at home ! I really doubt you'd need to remove the padding, ive never bothered and would regularly take my licence, eftpos card and cash! As for not looking to inconspicuous i'd be lying if i said this had never got me a free drink...! Now just for where to hide the passport...best of luck!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

im in london and the price of a decent pack is rediculous. i travel to south east asia every year to visit family and spend a month or so travelling around the neighbouring countries alone. this year is my 6th time, and i managed to score a dirt cheap flight from KL (my dads) to india.

am looking for a medium backpack (travel mega light) and money belt, but i want one with a large waist. i am reasonably large, not sure how big but is there an online store that deals with larger travellers?ive had to carry around my stuff in an ex-army bag that does the trick but is too much to hack for india this summer...
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
robin123
Members

What is the general consensus - A top loading pack with drawstring at the top and then a buckle flap over the top of this or a pack that has a zip r around the front of it?

I am going traveling around Europe for 4 weeks and am really undecided on which one to take.
Thanks
robin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #30
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

First, welcome to Tpunk and second, don't go with top loading. That may not be the Tpunk consensus but it sure is mine. If you have something in the bottom that you need to get to you have to reach past two to three feet of belongings. If you have side loading the worst case scenario getting past a foot of belongings. I went to Europe last winter for 3 months on an Eagle Creek Ultimate Explorer and loved it. High quality pack, and if I recall correctly, it has a lifetime guarantee.

Make sure you get a detachable day bag and that the pack has a cable (or integrated cable lock) to secure it to an immovable object.

--Joey

Last edited by joe7f; 03-29-2007 at 09:32 PM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #31
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Thats cool Joe, I've had the same pack for years now, and theres no way I would go with a top loader. I love my Eagle Creek pack. Digging through to get to the bottom is never fun.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #32
Skoey

Can anyone help me make my mind up here

I have tried several packs on (well from the limited range in town) and the 2 that really stood out our these 2

the macpac orient express

the 60 litre one

or:

the karrimor gloabal 70+20

I liked the karrimor one but im a bit concerned it might be to big (and the daypak sticks out about 3 miles),whereas the macpac one seemed a bit less padded (but was still comfy) and is 60ltr's enough for a 2 month trip (i think it is and am swaying towards this one)

anyone have any experience with either of these?

also you will have to use google to look these up because im not allowed to post urls yet (sorry)
Skoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #33
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I would always go for the smaller one. it doesn't really make a difference how long you're travelling, you'll work with the space you'll have and a big backpack will annoy the hell out of you
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
Skoey

decided on the macpac one.

Actually getting excited now. Pack is bought. Plane is booked. Just my train ticket to post ou
Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #35
Skoey

^ thats what i get for trying to post on my phone

cut off mid word
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
Marcus Nappy
TPunk Moderator

Default backpacks?

Im looking for a backpack for my 4(+) month trek in SEA. Ive done some looking any would like a professional opinion...

arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Naos-70#

ospreypacks.com/Packs/ArgonSeriesMens/Argon85/

thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10471&storeId=207&catalog Id=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11748&variationId =001

or that of either a larger size or a different company/brand
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #37
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

aliz made a good point above. If you get a really big backpack, you'll probably end up filling it up. Carrying a really heavy backpack probably can get annoying, so I usually go for a smaller one. The downside is you'll be doing laundry more often.

Those look like solid packs, but the important part is that the pack fits well. You might want to try finding a camping store with backpacks and try them on before buying to see what size backpack is most comfortable.

Shoes and your backpack are probably the 2 most important things you'll buy for your trip, so make sure both of them are comfortable! Good luck.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by offhegoes03 View Post
If you get a really big backpack, you'll probably end up filling it up. Carrying a really heavy backpack probably can get annoying, so I usually go for a smaller one. The downside is you'll be doing laundry more often.
... OR you can just wear the same clothes again and again. Just remember to bring some body spray. My record was wear the same jeans for 4 days/nights during Running of the Bulls 2007. By the end, it was like a second layer of skin.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #39
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

^^ yeah, Jeans can go a while without washing... underwear and shirts might have to be washed a little more frequently depending how much you sweat.. at least that's just my personal preference.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #40
Marcus Nappy
TPunk Moderator

I wear the same jeans at home for days on end already haha to there is no problem there . JK. But I doubt that i will be bringing any with me on the voyage, it will be rainy in spots where i plan to go, jeans and water dont mix.
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote