Washington DC Hotels - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam
Default Washington DC Hotels

So I'm planning a small trip with about 3 other friends... we are going to drive to DC over the weekend of march 16 and we are looking for a hotel to stay at. What I want to know is WHERE? we want somewere close to mass transit to all the sites during the day and within walking distance of the bar district (if one exists) at night. We would be willing to spend up to 100 dollars a night for a hotel (split four ways 25 dollars a piece) any help would be greatly appreciated since I have not been to DC in about 13 years and i was a punk niddle schooler then.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I stayed with a friend in Alexandria which was handy, since the Metro (Eisenhower) zipped us in an out but it was a safe area. For bars, I would try Old Town in Alexandria and George Town

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Artist of Life

Yes.. Bar areas exist in DC. THere are many many bars... I mean, all the politics is not done during the day, but during 5-7pm happy hour. =)

The main bar zones are: Adams Morgan (off red line in subway), Dupont Circle (University zone), Georgetown (preppy white kid zone).

Personally, I think Adams morgan is an awesome place to hang out at night....

There are many small hotels near here. Close to adams morgan is also Columbia Heights station, there are also hotels near here...but you need to ask people.

If you're into hostels, a cheap, very interesting ones to stay at is called Hilltop Hostel. It's a good deal.

Have a good time!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Artist of Life

Oh right, forgot to tell you, Hilltop hostel is about 100 meters away from Takoma Metro station (red line). And is like a 20 min ride of adams morgan station, and 15 min ride to dupont circle.

Another bar zone is foggy bottom (GW university zone),

Also, you'll want to check out ben's Chilli Bowl on U street. It's famous!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Artist of Life

Oh and remember that not all of DC is a nice place to have a pleasant stroll.

I lived in the edges of 'the hood' in the northeast, and many times I did not feel 100% safe, even though I am a guy, and I'm generally not the scared type.

So here's a general rule for the NIGHT (during the day most places are okay): walking around the in Northwest, you'll be okay. Do not stroll around in the other quadrants! You might get mugged! If you walk somewhere, you need a purpose.

I knew a guy whose coworker was pistolwhipped and robbed in the Southeast.. just a few blocks from capitol hill!

So in conclusion...

NW =
NE, SE, SW =

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I almost got mugged in DC once. I told the guy that he will never get my money.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Artist of Life

hahahhahahahaha.... jokes...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

Thanks for the Great Input CB Unfortunatly the trip is being postponed though it should happen sometime this summer

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
Certified Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I almost got mugged in DC once. I told the guy that he will never get my money.
So i guess he believed you then..

Sorry to here that agriadam. Good luck in the summer.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #10

There are lots of hotels are available around Washington D.C. You have to search best hotels from it. There is very tough competition between hotels that's why you should get room on cheap rate with same luxurious services.
brianklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

In some cities, you can often find a cheap hotel rate in the low season. But Washington is not a typical off-season, so choose your travel to find the most suitable for you. Summer will always be a little busy, but any time you go to a hotel prices will be roughly the same. If you want to save your trip, and always keep a look out the package deals and special offers, and sometimes can be found online.
arroncruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #12

Although the hotel is one of a kind, there are many other budget-friendly hotels and motels can accommodate your stay in Washington, many of the hotel in Connecticut Avenue near the zoo, or near the National Cathedral. Plus a great many of the hotel is next to shopping and dining.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #13

Outside the hotel in the city center, Virginia Alexandria, Arlington and Crystal City seems to be in concert with the time of a year, a busy and expensive, but not sold out. I, and many others here can recommend a place, but you may prefer the party in Maryland will be close to your event.
aricsams is offline   Reply With Quote