Afghanistan - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Middle East

Middle East See the Promised Land, the Red Sea, magnificient ruins and mosques, oil-rich metropoles. When you're done with that, go skiing and rock climbing !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Afghanistan

Ive noticed several people here have been to Afghanistan. Ive taken an interest in visiting A-stan on my next wave of leave. Im just wondering what you people did? Did you go in with a group, or on your own? Id like to travel in the Wahkan Vally, and also Kabul so I can visit a few friends there. Any help would be much appreciated in where to go, and what to do....

Thanks
Rhine
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I didn't visit there for fun - I was deployed there for 15 months. I have been to eastern provinces near Pakistan, I've been north of Kabul, and I've been south in Kandahar.

Afghanistan is a beautiful country but it was my job to assess the threats my whole time there and in my professional opinion it would be the stupidest thing ever to go visit there at this time. There are a lot of places that have gone untouched from when the soviets were there and laid minefields and they're exploding now when we move through areas. It is a very unstable country politically and kidnapping of foreigners is a very common thing.

There isn't enough I can say about why it's a bad idea. I understand the curiosity and thrill of visiting a country that is pretty much unknown but we also must exercise common sense.

Afghanistan is a very, very beautiful country and the locals I interacted with - some were very nice while others really were not used to foreigners and acted out - especially to women. It is a shame that things are so bad there but it is what it is: unsafe and unstable at this time. And it's only gotten worse over time.

No offense, but this is something I have a lot of knowledge on and also feel very strongly about.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the input pinknic38. I undertsnad the danger that comes with traveling in these regions. I suppose it would be smart to wait awhile, but odds are time isnt on our side in places like this. I guess im used to traveling and living in parts of the world cursed with war. Ive experienced the "two way fireing range" a few times starting at very young age in the Balkans. And its the last thing i want to go through again. I just feel like the more time that goes by the worse it gets, so the sooner I go the better it would be. Afghanistan is a beautiful country, with a beautiful culture that I really want to forst hand.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post

Afghanistan is a beautiful country but it was my job to assess the threats my whole time there and in my professional opinion it would be the stupidest thing ever to go visit there at this time. There are a lot of places that have gone untouched from when the soviets were there and laid minefields and they're exploding now when we move through areas. It is a very unstable country politically and kidnapping of foreigners is a very common thing.
I concur. I've been to southern Afghanistan (Kandahar), and you don't want to be travelling around there without close protection or some hardcore tribal connections. Kabul is pretty bad too - because of recent kidnappings, Canadian embassy staff arent' even allowed to venture out into the city without persmission and some kind of close protection.

Remember its not the insurgency, but the crime and kidnappings that are the major concern.

THAT being said, Herat (and the west and north, in general) is much more peaceful, and those places you may have a chance of travelling and nothing happening. But remember that the insurgents/bandits are EVERYWHERE, and that the central government doesn't really control all that much, rather, its qutie decentralized sources of power.

The book 'the places in between' by Rory Stewart is great, because (although im assuming you wno't be walking) it shows the extent to which you have to network and get tribal protection to travel freely and safety.

But if you had to choose a 'safer' place, I'd say your best bet is Herat.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."

Last edited by Canadian Bacon; 11-11-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

your reasoning doesn't make sense. that's like selling stocks while the price is falling. I guess everyone has a different strategy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhine View Post
I just feel like the more time that goes by the worse it gets, so the sooner I go the better it would be. Afghanistan is a beautiful country, with a beautiful culture that I really want to forst hand.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymore View Post
your reasoning doesn't make sense. that's like selling stocks while the price is falling. I guess everyone has a different strategy though.

Makes sence to me that one would go sooner before it gets worse then it already is.

But it doesnt look like im going to be able to go in the near future anyway. I'll be spending most of my time in Monrovia, Liberia starting in January.

I'll go one day.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Artist of Life

Wait a couple of years until the Taliban have reconciled (hopefully) and police forces get better.

Still - Herat is your best bet.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Ive never had any experience in Afghanistan, but I wouldnt go, even though I would love to.

I know you said it looks like you wont go, but thought id say it anyway. Last year I had the opportunity to go to Pakistan and was thrilled! But that was the time with the whole State of Emergency thing, and was warned against going. I would have been with people I had only met once (my dads boss and his family) so thought it would be pretty safe.....but a few weeks later my dad was there, the time I would have been, and he had eaten out with his boss and family when about 30 min after they left the restaurant it blew up!!! As far as im concerned, thats WAY to close to death for me!!

I suppose when the time comes, you just have to weigh up how you feel about it and the risks you are taking. And if your willing to risk your life.

Sorry, its got nothing to do with Afghanista, but I thought id put in my 2 cents worth anyway...

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote