Do I Need A aSleeping Bag and/or Water Purifier? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick
Default Do I Need A aSleeping Bag and/or Water Purifier?

I was planning on bringing a very small, lightweight sleeping bag and a water purifier for my trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Nepal, and India. Now I'm thinking of ditching them, but what do you guys think, will I need them?

Is it easy to get purifying tablets or clean water everywhere in these countries? I want the option of venturing out and away from the touristy, safer areas, so that's why I thought I might need this stuff.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

sleeping bag will be handy for the obsurd air conditioning practiced in some south east asian countries. if you like to be snug as a bug when you sleep bring it. a mosquito net is more important though!

as for water purifyer just bring tablets. these can be found in thailand also but bring some with you in case you have difficulty. if you plan on going off vthe beaten track then a water purifyer is also a good option to have in case you run out of water. in places with a market or shop you will always be able to buy bottled water.

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

take the sleeping, but not the purifier. The purifier won't help with a lot of the stuff in the wter over there anyhow.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
nzboy
Members

Don't take either of them!!!!! A complete waste of space. You don't need them.
nzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Esterina
french touch

If you venture away from the tourist spots, as buzzingtalk I believe the mosquito net is mandatory in Laos and Cambodia, Vietnam's countryside (no prevalence in urban centers), and some areas of Nepal and India. Thailand seems pretty risk free.

See this site : Malaria risk

Anyway, you can buy everything needed in Bangkok.

When you say you want to venture out, does this mean you plan on camping?

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

I'm in Chiang Mai right now, having a blast. I ended up not bringing either the sleeping bag or purifier, and so far I'm glad I didn't. The sleeping bag, although very thin, would be too much. Its so humid, I've been sleeping with nothing so far. And the water's so cheap, why bother with a purifier.

But I didn't even think about the mosquito net. I'll definitely get that before leaving Thailand. But will I always have a way to hang it up? I don't know if I'll be camping, but I'd definitely like to get out and away from the big tourist traps. We'll see I guess.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

there wont always be a place to hang it but if not just curl up inside it. buy a big one

also if your really worried about mozzies buy some mosquito coils, probably get em from asupermarket or corner store, they are like curly bits of incense but they keep mozzies away. they are good to use when outside or even if your sleeping in a really heavy insect place.

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote