What to do in montreal? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Canada

Canada Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, french culture, hockey...Ohhhh Canada...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Blakeimus
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Blakeimus

I am going for a couple days what should I do, what is there to do?
Blakeimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I guess that depends on what you like. The main street...St. Catherine's street is full of strip clubs and is somewhat notorious for that.

Other things to check out:

1.) Old Montreal - very french, old fashioned feel with cobbelstone streets, bakeries, shops, pubs etc - its down on the St. lawrence and you can take the metro and wander around.

2.)Biodome - up by Olympic stadium - there are 4 different walkthrough environments - rainforest, temperate forest, arctic and another one that I forget. They have a lot of the flora and fauna from each of the respective environments - kind of cool.

3.) Crescent Street - great street with lots of bars and restaurants. This is a good street to stay close to if possible - lots of things to walk to (and stumble home from).

4.)Hurley's Irish Pub (on Crescent St) - great pub - try the Smithwicks ale.

Are you staying in a hotel or hostel? If your looking for a hotel, I recommend the Novotel - I think it is one street over from Crescent St - close to Hurleys Pub. It prob about $100 USD a night so its not cheap (maybe more now with the crappy exchange rate) but its decent and a great locale.

Enjoy - Montreal is great!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
lilwings
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Old Monteal is very beautiful, and Cresent is fun and all... but I would advise continuing on after a couple of nights to the Ottawa/ Hull area. Much more to do and see... better architecture, neater museums, better nightlife (plus you have the chance to practice your francais in Hull.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Esterina
french touch

I suppose it's too late to answer you, Blakeimus, but maybe my hints could help others since I've been living in Montreal for over a decade now.

I would strongly suggest people who have a bit more time to go out of downtown montreal to see something more typical. Crescent Street is interesting but the boutiques are out of reach to any backpacker's budget, and the clubs are mostly frequented by the rich anglophones of the city and the tourists.

Instead :

Walk down St-Denis Street between Ste-Catherine Street and Mont-Royal Street. It will take you from the Quartier Latin to the Plateau Mont-Royal, two very lively districts, hearts of the artistic community.

Mont-Royal Street is another important stop. Laid-back and happy ambiance. Very Montreal with its outside stairs. Great boutiques and restaurants.

Go skating on the Parc Lafontaine artificial river. Or just walk through it. Beautiful and romantic site.

The view on the city and the St. Lawrence River from the Mont-Royal Mount is beautiful, especially at sunset or night. Rendez-vous of the lovers...

Nightlife -- For those who want to keep away from the tourists or uptight places, here are a few suggestions:

-Au diable vert, on St-Denis close to Mont-Royal. Very popular. Dare be the only tourist, and maybe even the only anglophone. Other busy clubs in this area.

-VV Taverna, corner Bernard and St-Laurent. You'll dance on french and english music from the 70s up. Tiny dance floor but partylike ambiance. Empty on the week and before 11 pm the weekends. Just on the otherside of the street, the Whisky Cafe (no dancing) , curious bathroom : the guys pi on a water wall and the girls can do it standing up ! And two minutes west on Bernard Street, the Futenbulle. Choice of dozens of beers, local and international.

-You're a jazz lover ? Try the Biddle Jazz and Grill. Downtown on Aylmer Street. Live music... Simply wonderful.

-Want to stick around Old Montreal ? For a very "french experience", go to Deux Pierrots, the famous bar where traditional and modern live french music. Some nights, it turns into a big party !

Budget lodging : There are two hostels I know of, that are very friendly and dynamic, close to downtown and the old city.
www.hostellingmontreal.com www.auberge-alternative.qc.ca

These ones I found on internet, but never visited them. It's on the Plateau Mont-Royal district or close to the Parc Lafontaine district.
www.hostelmontreal.com

And food is great here ! The list of good restaurants would be too long. If you'd like suggestions send me a PM.

So hope you enjoy your stay !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
alyssa
Members

hi, I'm headed to Montreal with a group of friends in May. We're all 18 and 19. Anywheres in particular that we should check out? Thanks.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

Alyssa, all the places mentioned above are awesome to visit... your days can be full of things to see and do while your nights are full of partying... it's pretty awesome

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #7
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

I absolutely love Montreal!!

Certainly I plan on visiting again ... hopefully soon.

Another allure of Montreal is just strolling the streets and soaking up the city vibe and meeting all the very cool and friendly people. It's probably the most understated attraction Montreal has to offer - its people.

I've met some of the friendliest people there, especially near the Berri-UQAM area.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
alyssa
Members

Just realized one of the people travelling with me is 17. Do you think they will have a problem getting into bars while we're down there?
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

How easy is it to get around all these places?

Is Montreal small enough to be walkable?

Or would I have to take a bus or taxi? Or maybe even a rental? Which I'm not sure about since I've never rented a car outside the US?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
mollymore
TPunk Recognized

the metro makes it easy to get almost anywhere and other than that I find it to be a very walkable city at least in warmer weather. but then I like to walk for hours...

Molly
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
Esterina
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyd View Post
How easy is it to get around all these places?

Is Montreal small enough to be walkable?

Or would I have to take a bus or taxi? Or maybe even a rental? Which I'm not sure about since I've never rented a car outside the US?
Again Mollymore is right on : Metro is the way to go. :D

Montreal is a 40km-long-Island ! However, the touristy area, that includes the old town and downtown, are side-by-side, within a walking distance.

To reach some attractions, such as the Biodome, you'll to use the metro.

Great that you're planning on going to Montreal ! What are your interests, how long will you be there ? when precisely are you going ? There are festivals all Summer long in Montreal, I could tell you which one in going on.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote