single white female in S. Afrca - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Africa
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Africa Wilderness with a capital W ! Paradise like landscapes, the Kilimandjaro and the Nile, huts and victorian architecture. Africa is a crossroads of civilizations, the land before time.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #21
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Mar 7 2006, 04:27 PM
I love that this site aims to break down stereotypes.
[snapback]105820[/snapback]
Good point, but where did these "stereotypes" originate from? My question is who were the first and realest G's? Which is art, which is life and which was imitating which? And are some of these stereotypes self-created and self-empowering?

Call me jaded, but maybe I've seen this stuff so much in rap videos that I've become desensitized to it?

That said, no offense anyone...and I'm sure these photos aren't any more "normal" scenes in Africa as rap videos are in the hood here.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by laje@Mar 5 2006, 01:59 PM
im also looking into going ot s africa in november for 3 motns, so far this hasnt convinced me not to go.* all those things could just as easily happen here i think (canada).* africa would be so awesome, im a 19 year old female, planning to go by myself.... this is all very tenative tho.
[snapback]105402[/snapback]
yeah, I wouldn't reccommend going on your own at all. All these things COULD happen in Canada sure...but you have NO idea how much they occur there. Lets face it, we all know Canada is a relatively safe place no matter where you are, even with the gangs and freaks, I mean it seems like they're embelishing things a lot on the site, but really they're not...at all. My dad went there a couple years ago and while he'd heard all the stories he was really shocked by huge amounts violence and crime occurred there. That's not to say you shouldn't go..I'm planning on going there myself in a year or two...but I DO think that you should seriously consider going with a group your first time out. The fact of the matter is, there really just isnt the respect for women or really the mentality that women have rights so much there as we have in Canada. As a young, female, you;re not only going to be considered an 'easy' target, but someone who they may feel they have the right to violate.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #23
Spartan
Members

I've got a South Africa Horror Story that happened to a friend's brother. I'm only mentioning it cause from what I've heared here about S.A. the stuff that could happen to you there probably wouldnt happen in Canada or most places. I don't want to dissuade anyone from going to S.A. but it is a different place. I have a friend from Cape Town who told me that I shouldnt go unless I met him there and stayed with him during my trip. But basically this story the short version is this guy got kidnapped at gunpoint, beaten every day for 2 weeks and brought to an ATM every day to take out the max amount of cash and was told when the money runs out of the Bank stops withdrawls, they'd shoot him. He escaped by jumping out the window of the 3rd story room they were keeping him in and he broke his legs but a cop saw him and brought him to the hospital. They didnt do anything at the hospital for him cause he had no ID or anything and they had to confirm he could pay so he sat there for 3 days with broken legs and after getting beaten for 2 weeks. But he's home safe now.

Anyway, Im sure you'll have a good time, but keep your head up

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #24
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I like this guy. Mow em down with one hand, sweep em up with the other.
That really IS a feather duster, isn't it. Now why on earth...?

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #25
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Bad computer, bad computer.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #26
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Mar 8 2006, 08:27 AM
That really IS a feather duster, isn't it.* Now why on earth...?
[snapback]105929[/snapback]
Looks like he's packin' double streetsweepers?

Anyways, a South African lady has just invented some anti-rape technology:

Quote:
KLEINMOND, South Africa - A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker’s penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time,” Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex," a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the “rapex” hooks onto the rapist’s skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

“He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage,” Ehlers told reporters in Kleinmond, a small village about 60 miles east of Cape Town. “I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital.”

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the “rapex” has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

“If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused,” said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy coordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is medieval and barbaric — an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

“This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate,” she said.
Yowch!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #27
Spartan
Members

These guys keep the streets safe.... so dont fear....

Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #28
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

The hyena/baboon pet pictures are from Nigeria, allegedly...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #29
Spartan
Members

could be.... but there's gotta be a dude with a monkey on a chain somewhere in downtown Durban

Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #30
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

wow that rapex thing is actually a really good idea, I'd buy it for sure if I was anywhere I didnt feel comfortable...I would be a little afraid of getting it out though...could be scary...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #31
gadiot
Members

Scaremongering! come one theres violence everywhere, you just need a little common sense and everywhere is accessible.
Anyone going to southern africa this summer 07?
gadiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #32
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ I'm not going in the summer, but I will be hitting up either SA or Kenya come jan/08...Are you from South Africa gadiot? Or are you just traveling there? Or neither...

-James Dean

Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #33
Travel_girl81
Members

I'll be in South Africa for 2 weeks in June. Even though I have backpacked Euope I would definatley not be doing it for this trip. Part of my trip is for business but I took some time off to do my own thing at the end. I did a lot of research and have found some back packer type tours. One company is called Drifters. I'm doing the 5 day Kruger Park tour with them. I'll let you all know how it is when I get back.
My boss is from SA and they advise I have gotten is to not walk alone at night, but the day is ok. Take cabs, not the bus, and just be smart.

Has anyone been before that has any recomendations for some sights to see? I'll be in Cape Town, the winelands area and Jo'burg.
Travel_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 AM   #34
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

There are far too many quotes here for me to pull up but i just want to say enough with the horror stories! I'm already crapping my pants about the trip i have booked to Africa as it is. I'm going to be spending around 3 weeks travelling around Kenya and Tanzania before and after my 4 week placement in Mwanza, Tanzania as a SINGLE WHITE FEMALE lol. I have been looking around travelling options and that hasnt made me feel any safer. While i would think nothing of and have done, travelling around Europe on my own i dont know why i have opted to travel around these two countries. I got offered a place on Scandanavian bus tours from Nairobi to Mwanza, but the journey time was at the night time which i have been advised NOT TO DO!! A friend of mine went to Tanzania and was driving with his parents (he was 12) during the night and he said he looked out of the back of their jeep and all he could see was two white eyes staring back at him, at this moment there was a guy robbing their stuff out of the back as they were driving!

So i have been trying to look at internal flights and there is no way of booking online with any of the companies in Tanzania (precision and tanzania airlines) so i guess i will have to call them. I have found a one way flight from nairobi to Zanzibar for 140 pounds and i am considering doing this as the thought of pirates attacking my boat doesnt feel me with the greatest confidence ( yes there are still pirates in Africa!)

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #35
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Hey - Im from South Africa. I would say go for it. We have a beautiful country!!!

We do have hostels, justsearch the net and you will find plenty. SA is probably a little more riskier than Europe. But, just keep your eyes and ears open and try hook up with other travellers. Basically, dont do stupid things like walking alone at night or hitchiking. I live in Cape Town, so if you want someone to show you around...im available.

Mish
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #36
Chocolaty Claire
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Hey, i'm looking into going to SA for a couple of weeks in September and using the Baz Bus to get around.

Loads on this thread have said come but come with friends and not alone.
I will be travelling alone but hoping to meet people on the Baz Bus, would this be advisable?

Has anyone used Baz Bus?

Dance like no-one's watching
Sing like no-one's listening
Love like you've never been hurt
And eat chocolate like it won't make you fat
Chocolaty Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #37
Travel_girl81
Members

I haven't used it but I met a single female that did. She said it was fine and easy to use.
Travel_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #38
buzzingtalk
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

south africa stories always amaze me as its a place thats kinda in my family. my grandad went there many years ago and fell in love with it, and on return gathered his kids together and moved out there. so my dad lived in durban for nearly 20 years!

as a result ive always wanted to visit, but it does scare me how much people have to say about it. i think id be waaay too paranoid to leave the house if i went there

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #39
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolaty Claire View Post
Has anyone used Baz Bus?
I used it last November in my trip to South Africa. It is great. There are a number of routes and ways to do it, but I simply can't say enough good things about it. It's where I met all the other fellow travelers I hung out with while there. The longer you stay there, the more the Baz Bus is a good deal, IMO.

I took the Circular route, Joburg to Drakensberg to Durban to Swaziland to Nelspruit. The Bus will pick you up at "selected" hostels, but there's a decent selection in the big cities, so you should be able to find something that sounds good (most have web sites).

Read my travelog the link in my signature...feel free to ask any other questions!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #40
marthaconstable
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I've got a South Africa Horror Story that happened to a friend's brother. I'm only mentioning it cause from what I've heared here about S.A. the stuff that could happen to you there probably wouldnt happen in Canada or most places. I don't want to dissuade anyone from going to S.A. but it is a different place. I have a friend from Cape Town who told me that I shouldnt go unless I met him there and stayed with him during my trip. But basically this story the short version is this guy got kidnapped at gunpoint, beaten every day for 2 weeks and brought to an ATM every day to take out the max amount of cash and was told when the money runs out of the Bank stops withdrawls, they'd shoot him. He escaped by jumping out the window of the 3rd story room they were keeping him in and he broke his legs but a cop saw him and brought him to the hospital. They didnt do anything at the hospital for him cause he had no ID or anything and they had to confirm he could pay so he sat there for 3 days with broken legs and after getting beaten for 2 weeks. But he's home safe now.

Anyway, Im sure you'll have a good time, but keep your head up

I'm contacting you from a London based television company called Prospect Pictures with regards to a a series of documentaries w're makiung about people who've been kidnapped around the world.

I read your posting on the forum and was wondering whether the guy you spoke about would mind chatting to me on the phone or by email about his experiences? I'm not sure whether he's British or not (i believe you mentioned Canada)

I wonder whether you'd mind passing his details on or passing mine on to him? It's all off the record, in confidence and wouldn't commit him to taking part in the series at this stage.

If he's happy to speak with me he can get in touch with me in London on + 44 20 8877 5691 or email on martha.constable@prospect-uk.com. I can call him straight back so it's on our bill.

Many thanks

Martha
Producer
Prospect Pictures
marthaconstable is offline   Reply With Quote