Some ways to save $$$$ - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #21
farfaraway
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Diorama@Mar 1 2006, 01:32 AM
Stop drinking...booze adds unreasonable costs to your trip....
[snapback]104705[/snapback]

that's why i'm taking a tight little black dress, free drinks are easy when you have boobs!
farfaraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

haha so true lol Just one of the perks of being a girl
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I don't know about that...

You'll all have to show me your boobs and I can tell you whether or not they'll get you free drinks.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #24
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

haha try that line again when we're drunk lol
Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Yeah, but how are you going to pay for the drinks to get drunk in the first place, if you're not showing me your boobs?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #26
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

im gonna rob a liquor store duh lol
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #27
bostonsweetie
Members

Default ATM Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer View Post
If you are from the UK open up a nationwide account and credit card, they dont bank account doesnt charge for using it abroad and the credit card doesn't charge the 2.75%. Mine saves me a fortune!
If you are from the US you probably already hate Bank of America but I keep an account open there for traveling because they won't charge you bank fees if you use certain banks in certain countries because they have affiliations.

You can see the list here at right: http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net...tLoadAction.do
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #28
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsweetie View Post
If you are from the US you probably already hate Bank of America but I keep an account open there for traveling because they won't charge you bank fees if you use certain banks in certain countries because they have affiliations.

You can see the list here at right: http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net...tLoadAction.do
I see that this is your first post, welcome to the site.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #29
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

that's some good info man! Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #30
soph1886
Members

my biggest expenses are on clothes, so while i'm saving (and this isn't going all that well but anyway) i'm trying to layby things, so i stagger them, and buy when i need them, not when i want them. plus, you can always cancel laybys and get your money back, which stops the impulse purchase thing.

also you can have a loose change jar that builds up. i found like 300 bucks in loose change around my room!
soph1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #31
raoulduke
Certified Wise

One of my biggest addictions was buying t-shirts. Instead of layby-ing or staggering I managed to..... wait for it...... stop buying t-shirts! Going cold turkey hasn't been easy.

I've also stopped buying Jagermiester which has saved me a ton as well.

It'll be worth when I'm buying t-shirts and drinking Jager in Europe.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #32
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
i found like 300 bucks in loose change around my room!
WOW!! And I thought my room was a mess!! Haha.

What I do is take the amount that I want to save off my pay check and save it away the first week of the month so I dont spend it elsewhere.

What I discovered the other day is that I had put away, who knows when, a 100pesos bill in a different place than where I usually put the money that I'm going to use during the week... So I had saved even more without even knowing it!! Now I started doing that every month.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #33
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

You know the sad thing? I don't drink (not totally, but maybe one drink every couple of months) and I STILL have no money.

But the way I saved MY money for travel is...you know that bank account that is supposed to buy me a house and pay for my wedding dress and keep my kids in diapers and send them to college and buy my medication for me when I'm old? Well, I'm disenchanted with the idea of being responsible for my future, so I'mma spendin' it! (On Malaysia)
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #34
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yeah i spent my college fund thing on not having a job and getting drunk every day for six months and mostly sleeping at my friends house who happens to be a stripper...and smoking weed...and poker....Somehow when i pulled it out I thought I was going to pay bills with it...yeah that didn't happen.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #35
micdans
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

Frick! I pretty much spend money on food and my crappy car. I'm on a meal plan on school (which is rated #3 in the nation) and I still buy too much food. I need to stop. And I don't drive much, but I guess I spend more on insurance than on gas. I don't spend money on entertainment often.
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #36
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

how I save money (at home, this is pre-trip saving - people seem to have covered the travelling saving stuff pretty well):
- i always use cash to pay for stuff - and always notes. example: i'm buying stuff at the supermarket and it costs $3.50. In my wallet i have a $5 note and probably more than $3.50 in coins.. but i pay using the fiver, because i have a loose change jar at home to save money. so if i pay with a $5 note, I get $1.50 change to put in my savings jar, as well as whatever coins I already had in my wallet. I then have no cash left, forcing me to think like a poor person. k so its not for everyone but it works for me.
- I only do one shopping trip a week... living close to a supermarket makes it very easy to just pop in whenever you need something but you save more money if you buy your groceries on say, monday, then as you run out of food, you just have to deal with it until you can buy more next monday. this also leads to some fun creative recipes on the weekends when you have to substitute everything.
- I buy as much as I can at the fruit & veggie market - its cheaper, the food is better and its a fun trip.
- I'm all about the home drinking - if i want to catch up with friends, its cheaper to invite them round for a few beers than to go out somewhere and pay way too much for a night at a bar or club.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #37
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

One of the banks in my area advertises that if you have a checking and savings account with them along with a debit card, anytime you use your debit card to make a purchase, they will round the purchase price up to the nearest dollar and put the 'change' in your savings account automatically. Not a bad way of forced savings.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #38
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

I wish I could save coins in a jar!! I think it's a great savings idea... but I need them to pay for the bus to come to work...
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #39
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I spend waaaay too much money on food. I have a full meal like every 2 hours, it's kind of ridiculous. I've decided to try not to go grocery shopping 'till the end of the month though....we'll see how that goes. Thank god for vitamins because at least I wont be SO malnourished....(I'm totally going to cave in like 2 days)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #40
Maineartist
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist

My biggest ways to save:
#3 I joined Planet Fitness for ten dollars a month.
#2 I don't have a car so I walk to work.

#1 When I really want to save money I will buy food at the grocery store once a week like y'all and not spend anything else on food.