Can I transfer between london airports??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > I NEED HELP- ASAP!

I NEED HELP- ASAP! Need quick help? PLEASE POST ONLY URGENT QUESTIONS HERE! WeŽll try to answer you within 24hrs.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
DharmaBum

Default Can I transfer between london airports???

with an expired Schengen Visa? I am in Poland and leaving for China in 48 hours. I left the UK 3 weeks ago after overstaying my Visa for a month.

While in Ireland before I came to England on a 6 month tourist Visa, I ended up meeting a Polish girl whom I have fallen very much in love with. We have been together for almost 8 months now. Her name is Olga. Before my Visa had expired, I applied for a COA to marry her in the UK. We then made plans to visit her parents in Poland for a celebration and then go to China (via Hong Kong) for our Honeymoon. Well we never got the COA approved in time and had to withdraw our application so we could get our passports back and go on our trip.
We are now in Poland and we are departing monday for London Luton airport on Aug 31 2009 and then immediatly departing from London Heathrow on Sept 1 2009 to Hong Kong. My question is: Will I be allowed into the UK Luton airport and be able to take a bus to Heathrow for my departure to Hong Kong? My visa is expired but we plan to marry in China on my birthday (Sept 17).

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
expatben
lover of Germany

If I were you, I would phone the British Consulate in Poland immidiately. There number in Warsaw is (48 22) 311 00 00
As I say they are your best bets for an answer.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
DharmaBum

where do they send me if denied entry? back to Poland or to the US?

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
expatben
lover of Germany

I dunno but I would say the US as you're an American as I say the British consulate should be able to answer your questions.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
Old 08-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
DharmaBum

I know but its way too late to call them and tomorrow is saturday. I didnt find out i had to switch airports until a few hours ago. I hought we were flying into and out of heathrow!
thanks for the advice though. I definitely do not want to go back to the states. hopefully they send me back to Poland as I have friends here and in Germany as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
expatben
lover of Germany

I hope they just let you transfer but the problem is, you've overstayed your visa and there is a chance that you will be sent back to America.
As I say, I really don't know if you can or if you can't it might be totally OK even if the visa is expired as you are leaving the area.

Last edited by expatben; 08-29-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
DharmaBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatben View Post
I hope they just let you transfer but the problem is, you've overstayed your visa and there is a chance that you will be sent back to America.
Fuck. Is that legal? do I have a choice? will they let me call the US embassy in London? this sucks!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
expatben
lover of Germany

If you've overstayed your visa and are attempting to enter the country anyways there may be a chance they send you back to the USA but really, I have no idea. It ay very well be OK as you are leaving and can prove it with tickets.
Being British, ironically I do not know too much about this as I have never needed a visa.
They may very well stamp your passport with a "right to abode sticker" which lasts for 6 months and send you on your way.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
expatben
lover of Germany

Dunno if this helps but the US embassy in Poland has an emergency number...
Emergencies:
In case of an emergency, you may contact the ACS section directly during normal working hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) at (48)(22) 504-2784. Outside of normal working hours, please call (48)(22) 504-2000 and ask to speak to the Embassy Duty Officer.

The British Embassy also says...
After hours, in case of emergency and only emergency please contact the British Embassy duty officer: tel. (+48) 696 005 696

Last edited by expatben; 08-29-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Try to make them believe you're going to China one way. If you can swing it in the short amount of time, maybe purchase some cheapie tickets out of China to a neighboring country to prove to them you're serious about onward travel. I know you guys are short on cash but it could help the ruse. Above all, act cool at the immigration desk because they might not saying anything at all, and if they question you try to persuade them that you're going to China and not returning to the UK. After you guys are married you can always say you "changed your mind." I might act like a solo traveller as well because if they know you have a fiancee in UK they might get suspicious that you've been working under the table. Be James Bond! Improvise!

Ask the embassy though seriously!

Best of luck to you and your fiance!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
DharmaBum

Thanks ExpatBen and Lizz.
I feel a bit more confident about just blagging them like its no big deal. I have to alter my itinerary though as it does list a return flight to the UK... no biggie Im good at those sort of things.
I wonder if I should book a hostel for my 18 hours in London or just tell them Im gonna go straight to the airport. BTW Lizz I managed to find an extra 200 quid laying around =] we are pretty well funded now IF we get to go...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
expatben
lover of Germany

If it were me, I wouldn't book a hostle as if they let you in its probably on the understanding that you're going STRAIGHT from one airport to another with no detour. Having a hostel booked my be pushing it.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

What happened when you left the UK? Did they put any special stamps in your passport? Did you have to pay a fine? I'm surprised they didn't tell you whether or not you'd be allowed to return.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #14
DharmaBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3000 View Post
What happened when you left the UK? Did they put any special stamps in your passport? Did you have to pay a fine? I'm surprised they didn't tell you whether or not you'd be allowed to return.
There was no exit immigration check when leaving stansted

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Awesome. No problem.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
DharmaBum

I head for the airport in about 8 hours and Im nervous.
Any other suggestions? Should my girlfriend and I pretend we are both solo travelers? I am just going to say nothing except that I plan on being in UK for one day and Im headed staight to China. They might not even say anything. However if they do start asking questions I might be screwed. My return flight is back to the UK however I plan on visiting the british embassy once in HK to sort that out. But I altered my itinerary to show that my flight is one way to HK. Is that a bad idea? should enter a fake return destination like USA or something?
Any other tips and advice would really be appreciated. Thanks again for helping =]

Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

Don't sweat it! Actually I just realized something. There's no proof you have overstayed your UK visa since immigration did not stamp you before you went to Poland. Unless you have multiple UK entrance stamps? Any exit stamps at all?

For example, here is what could have happened to you...There is no border check between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland (double check me on this, was true when I went in 2007) so for all they know you have spent some time in the UK, crossed over to RoI and stayed there for a few months. As long as you don't have a UK exit stamp there is no proof where you have been.

And also even if they did know that you overstayed your UK visa one month I don't think they will do anything drastic, as long as you play stupid tourist and don't let on that you've been working illegally. I overstayed my Schengen visa by 2 months and they even say one word to me.

So be cool. Give them your passport. You are a goofy American tourist. Don't offer up any info. Let them ask you. If they ask you how long you're staying, say one day. That may be it. If they ask you where you're going next, say you're catching a flight to China. Don't offer the printout of the ticket. If it goes beyond that I guess its up to you to lie or not. When I have replied to this thread I am asking myself "What would I do?" Honestly I do not know. I would probably only lie by omission but not outright lie.

And if worse comes to worse, you should man up and take the consequences. When you are a guest in another country you are supposed to respect and obey their laws. It is not your right to travel or work in another country, you are given permission by that country. I empathize with the fact that you are in love with a girl with a different passport than you. I am in the same situation. Unfortunately for us there is no "love visa." I don't mean to be condescending or preachy but its the truth.

Good luck!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
DharmaBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post
Don't sweat it! Actually I just realized something. There's no proof you have overstayed your UK visa since immigration did not stamp you before you went to Poland. Unless you have multiple UK entrance stamps? Any exit stamps at all?

For example, here is what could have happened to you...There is no border check between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland (double check me on this, was true when I went in 2007) so for all they know you have spent some time in the UK, crossed over to RoI and stayed there for a few months. As long as you don't have a UK exit stamp there is no proof where you have been.

And also even if they did know that you overstayed your UK visa one month I don't think they will do anything drastic, as long as you play stupid tourist and don't let on that you've been working illegally. I overstayed my Schengen visa by 2 months and they even say one word to me.

So be cool. Give them your passport. You are a goofy American tourist. Don't offer up any info. Let them ask you. If they ask you how long you're staying, say one day. That may be it. If they ask you where you're going next, say you're catching a flight to China. Don't offer the printout of the ticket. If it goes beyond that I guess its up to you to lie or not. When I have replied to this thread I am asking myself "What would I do?" Honestly I do not know. I would probably only lie by omission but not outright lie.
Good advice.
ALso, border checks will not be in place until 2013 for north Ire and England. I have no exit stamps, and one entry stamp even though ive come and gone like 4 times. I edited my e ticket to show my flight is one-way AND i have my hostel reservations in HK even though im couchsurfing but they never understand the whole CS thing.
I love your advice though. Thanks alot for your help for like the 20th time now. I hope your trip is as crazy as mine! I will let you all know what happens either way so keep an eye on this thread for the play-by play. Wish me luck!
I have about 3 more hours till I head to the airport...

Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Never. NEVER outright LIE to immigration officials.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
DharmaBum

Well I ended up getting through after a ton of questioning. The immigration guy was angry that I didnt have itinerary for a hotel for the night so I just made up a fake hostel name and address. He let me through and stamped me a new 6 month visa. WOW talk about lucky. I in the airport now waiting to board my flight.
He asked about where I had been travelling, where I was going after china, how much money I had, he wanted my entire itinerary on paper and wanted to know if I planned on coming back. I just stayed relaxed, played it cool and got through after 15 minutes of interrogation. Thanks for the advice guys!

Im going to China!!!!