Warning for Male Travellers in Istanbul - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Default Warning for Male Travellers in Istanbul

Here ıs a very general warnıng based on some fucked up shıt that happened to me last nıght...

Do not trust ANY local from Istanbul around Taksım square who speaks English and initiates contact wıth you... EVEN if you are ın a bar.

Do not gıve them the benefıt of the doubt..... whıch ıs what I stupıdly dıd last nıght and almost ended up beıng a vıctım of that scam where you end up ın a club wıth gırls sıttıng next to you and bıll comes to 720 LIRA!

Long story short I made ıt out wıthout payıng a penny due to some engenıous dıstractıon tactıcs and some heavy duty sprıntıng through the streets of Istanbul wıth Turkısh dance musıc as a soundtrack....

But please BE CAREFUL ın Istanbul especıally Taksım!!!! I was nearly a vıctım...although the good news ıs that I have one crazy story to tell for the rest of my lıfe.....
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Sounds shitty, but also kind of exciting! I could picture it!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

For those curious 720 Lira is 400 Euros.

Jay dude, that is scary man but I want to hear the details of your distractions

Btw, this scam is also practiced in Eastern Europe. For the most part not following locals (that approach you) anywhere is a good idea.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

They do the same thing in seedier french strip clubs
maracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

I rarely trust single men that approach me...no good can come from it. Also if your alone sitting with a group of women in another country and you dont know them...chances are your paying for them whether you know it or not.

Nice work getting out of it though, ignorance usually doesn't mean shit to the guys who want your money.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

how do they scam you into it? and yeah how did you distract them?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

NICE we canucks really know how to dine 'n dash ....seriously though, like everyone else, I WANT DETAILS!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Agghh!! Jason, sorry to hear someone scammed you!

They do the same thing in a lot of former Soviet Bloc countries. What they do is approach you, and strike up a friendly "interested in foreigner" conversation. They say they know a great local hangout where you can eat, drink, whatever. Then when they get there, a bunch of girls join the table, and not only do you foot the bill, but it's greatly inflated. Also, they threaten to/will try to hurt you or worse if you don't pay up.

I'm also interested to hear your exact story. CRAZY!

Be careful, buddy! You've still got a lot of traveling to do!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
hurr111
Members

That sounds exciting and scary all at the same time! Like everyone else I am waiting for the details. It is also good to hear this scam, I don't think I would have noticed until it was too late.
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
indierock05
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Glad you got out of it!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Okay guys.... here is the story two nights ago.

Running through the Jungle (of Istanbul)

So, first night in Istanbul. I haven't met anyone at the hostel, so I'm just expecting a nice quiet stroll around Istiklal street just south of Taksim Square. I've read all about the scams so I thought I was well prepared.

I think because I am asian, I am an obvious target... otherwise it is difficult to tell who is a local and who is not - pretty much anyone can be a turk... except asians.

So as I'm walking up and down Istiklal, guys are coming up to me, asking me where I'm from... So I talk to them, but I know they are scamming me, so I polititely excuse myself everytime.

So before I call it a night, I head to this bar called "Montreal", the wall is decorated with all this Canadian crap. I even ask the owner about the scams and the people coming up to me... and he says "its just turkish hospitality!"

So these two guys come in the bar, order beers and sit down to the table next to mine. THey start talking to me, their english is good.... I think since they are just fellow people at the bar, they're possibly not scamming me. One of the guys looks like a crook, you can tell by the eyes, but the other one looks honest, so decide to give them the benefit of the doubt.

After a while of conversation and a few beers, we decide to hit up a "club". I make it very clear to them that I only have 20 LIRA on me, and that I only would go to expensive places... they were like "ok don't worry". I noticed it was odd that one of the guys kept going to the washroom (later I think it was to call people to coordinate the 'club' we were going to).

So we walk into this club, and the place is dead except for some young girls and old men. I should've left right away, but for some reason I didn't. I sit with these guys, me between the both of them in the corner table so I have no chance of getting out... I start to get suspicious and ask questions. They're like "no problem, we split everything 50/50".

Suddenly all the girls get on the dance floor and start dancing... its not real dancing its more like the dancing a girl does when someone orders her to dance. Three girls come over to our table and sit. The girl I am sitting from comes from Ukraine. Then I go to the washroom and one of the guys follows me to also head to the washroom. All these things add up to my conclusion that I am for sure getting scammed.

When I get back to the table, I tell them "its been a great night, but I have to go. Here's my 20 Lira, you guys stay". But they refuse and block my exit and are like... "we'll get the bill now, don't worry". The girls are still sitting next to us. The waiter brings the bill: 720 Lira. We split it 50/50, that's what one of the guy tells me. At this point the girls leave.

So I argue this bill, saying "you guys fucked me over, you knew I only had 20 Lira"... and them saying stupid bullshit. There's no way I could physically escape this club, there are too many obstacles. My best chance, I thought, was to be outside. So I say I'll pay one of the guys 200 Lira once we leave the bar and I go to the ATM. He "pays" the tab with his card, and we leave and bar.

We're walking up the sidestreet to get on to Istiklal street, and my mind is racing with possibilites to get out. Should I risk fighting these guys? I am pretty confident with my abilities, but two guys? In another country? Very risky...

We get to the main street, and right there is a police stand. (makeshift booth). I walk over to them to "ask for directions"... and I end up telling them about EVERYTHING, and how these guys try to extort me for nearly 400 Lira. The police don't understand a word. There is a guy wearing a bright orange shirt with a nice SLR camera arond this neck who 'translates' what I am sayting to the police, although I am sure he is working with the guys who tried to scam me.

THe police are not helping me, but aren't hurting me either. As long as I am there, the two guys won't try to jump me, but I won't get away scot free as well. I think the scammers realise its going to be difficult to get this money from me and cut a deal "150 Lira and we will have no problems. Just 150 Lira." Since I don't want to go anywhere with the scammers, we compromise and I will go with the orange shirt guy to get the money then come back.

This is my chance.

I start walking up the street with the orange shirt guy, and I tell him "listen bud, how about I give you 60 Lira and you let me go". He says "no, I can't I konw these guys". I say "you work with these guys", but he says "no, but they are in my network".

So I only have on option - and the conditions are all in my favour. THe guy in the orange shirt looks a little out of shape, and is carrying a large expensive camera around his neck. We reach and ATM and I shake his hand saying "thanks for your help anyway". Then I point behind his back and say "are those guys over there". When he turns and looks behind him, I BOLT DOWN Istiklal street at FULL SPRINT! (with Turkish music playing the background, providing a soundtrack - i feel like I'm in a movie).

I look behind and no on followed me! I keep running, my lung start to burn, and after about 60 seconds, and duck into a sidestreet into this empty bar and meet the surpised look of the owner. The first thing is do is LAUGH! I laugh for a long time, then order a cola. Then I threw up.

So for the rest of the right, I am very paranoid, ducking into little bars, looking left and right at everyone. I end up at 3 little bars, having cola and tea at each... on the look out while they play lounge music... I seriously feel like I'm in a movie. I make it back to the hostel at about 3am... 4 hours after all this madness began.

So to conclude: the one time I let down my guard and gave the benefit of the doubt I was almost burned, so my trust factor for the locals in Istanbul is very low. But... thanks to them, I have a great story to tell.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
davidd
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Send a message via MSN to davidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Okay guys.... here is the story two nights ago.

Running through the Jungle (of Istanbul)

So, first night in Istanbul. I haven't met anyone at the hostel, so I'm just expecting a nice quiet stroll around Istiklal street just south of Taksim Square. I've read all about the scams so I thought I was well prepared.

I think because I am asian, I am an obvious target... otherwise it is difficult to tell who is a local and who is not - pretty much anyone can be a turk... except asians.

So as I'm walking up and down Istiklal, guys are coming up to me, asking me where I'm from... So I talk to them, but I know they are scamming me, so I polititely excuse myself everytime.

So before I call it a night, I head to this bar called "Montreal", the wall is decorated with all this Canadian crap. I even ask the owner about the scams and the people coming up to me... and he says "its just turkish hospitality!"

So these two guys come in the bar, order beers and sit down to the table next to mine. THey start talking to me, their english is good.... I think since they are just fellow people at the bar, they're possibly not scamming me. One of the guys looks like a crook, you can tell by the eyes, but the other one looks honest, so decide to give them the benefit of the doubt.

After a while of conversation and a few beers, we decide to hit up a "club". I make it very clear to them that I only have 20 LIRA on me, and that I only would go to expensive places... they were like "ok don't worry". I noticed it was odd that one of the guys kept going to the washroom (later I think it was to call people to coordinate the 'club' we were going to).

So we walk into this club, and the place is dead except for some young girls and old men. I should've left right away, but for some reason I didn't. I sit with these guys, me between the both of them in the corner table so I have no chance of getting out... I start to get suspicious and ask questions. They're like "no problem, we split everything 50/50".

Suddenly all the girls get on the dance floor and start dancing... its not real dancing its more like the dancing a girl does when someone orders her to dance. Three girls come over to our table and sit. The girl I am sitting from comes from Ukraine. Then I go to the washroom and one of the guys follows me to also head to the washroom. All these things add up to my conclusion that I am for sure getting scammed.

When I get back to the table, I tell them "its been a great night, but I have to go. Here's my 20 Lira, you guys stay". But they refuse and block my exit and are like... "we'll get the bill now, don't worry". The girls are still sitting next to us. The waiter brings the bill: 720 Lira. We split it 50/50, that's what one of the guy tells me. At this point the girls leave.

So I argue this bill, saying "you guys fucked me over, you knew I only had 20 Lira"... and them saying stupid bullshit. There's no way I could physically escape this club, there are too many obstacles. My best chance, I thought, was to be outside. So I say I'll pay one of the guys 200 Lira once we leave the bar and I go to the ATM. He "pays" the tab with his card, and we leave and bar.

We're walking up the sidestreet to get on to Istiklal street, and my mind is racing with possibilites to get out. Should I risk fighting these guys? I am pretty confident with my abilities, but two guys? In another country? Very risky...

We get to the main street, and right there is a police stand. (makeshift booth). I walk over to them to "ask for directions"... and I end up telling them about EVERYTHING, and how these guys try to extort me for nearly 400 Lira. The police don't understand a word. There is a guy wearing a bright orange shirt with a nice SLR camera arond this neck who 'translates' what I am sayting to the police, although I am sure he is working with the guys who tried to scam me.

THe police are not helping me, but aren't hurting me either. As long as I am there, the two guys won't try to jump me, but I won't get away scot free as well. I think the scammers realise its going to be difficult to get this money from me and cut a deal "150 Lira and we will have no problems. Just 150 Lira." Since I don't want to go anywhere with the scammers, we compromise and I will go with the orange shirt guy to get the money then come back.

This is my chance.

I start walking up the street with the orange shirt guy, and I tell him "listen bud, how about I give you 60 Lira and you let me go". He says "no, I can't I konw these guys". I say "you work with these guys", but he says "no, but they are in my network".

So I only have on option - and the conditions are all in my favour. THe guy in the orange shirt looks a little out of shape, and is carrying a large expensive camera around his neck. We reach and ATM and I shake his hand saying "thanks for your help anyway". Then I point behind his back and say "are those guys over there". When he turns and looks behind him, I BOLT DOWN Istiklal street at FULL SPRINT! (with Turkish music playing the background, providing a soundtrack - i feel like I'm in a movie).

I look behind and no on followed me! I keep running, my lung start to burn, and after about 60 seconds, and duck into a sidestreet into this empty bar and meet the surpised look of the owner. The first thing is do is LAUGH! I laugh for a long time, then order a cola. Then I threw up.

So for the rest of the right, I am very paranoid, ducking into little bars, looking left and right at everyone. I end up at 3 little bars, having cola and tea at each... on the look out while they play lounge music... I seriously feel like I'm in a movie. I make it back to the hostel at about 3am... 4 hours after all this madness began.

So to conclude: the one time I let down my guard and gave the benefit of the doubt I was almost burned, so my trust factor for the locals in Istanbul is very low. But... thanks to them, I have a great story to tell.

yeah great story to tell even if it isnt fun at the time. Sounds like you did very well thinking on your feet to get out of there and its something I now know about to watch out for so cheers.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #13
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Great story man

Apparently in Istanbul you can'tstandtoknowppl :D

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 AM   #14
louse
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, that story was so good I burnt my crepe! And didn't care!
I head a similar story from 2 brits, they went out with another guy and a girl in budapest. Asked the cabbie to drop them off somewhere and he takes them to a strip club. So they decide to have just one drink then leave. Of course, the bill comes to hundreds of pounds and they are forced to pay. Threatened with guns and everything. They are taken in turns to the atm (and charged for the taxi rides to it which is so terrible but funny) with 2 held hostage at the bar at all times. They are even taken back to their hostel and all their stuff is ransacked. The poor buggers were just starting out a round the world trip too.
louse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Louse - wow ı thınk my story could have easıly turned lıke that ıf the condıtıons were not ın my favour! Wow that ıs a bad!

I am back at the hostel.

I just saw the orange shırt guy that I ran from the other day... I dont thınk he saw me.

I have been tryıng to lay low last nıght... although now I am travellıng wıth two bıg Canadıans who I met so I doubt ıf they fınd me theyll start any shıt.

Actually today I met a really frıendly local who knew no englısh but took me shoppıng ın the grand bazaar and showed me the good cheap shops to go! So thıs confırms my theory: Istanbulers who speak Englısh - no good. Istanbulers who speak no Englısh - good people.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

oh goodness. that's scary. Good thing you didn't tell them where you were staying!! Glad you got out of the situation.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
freespiritz
always trippin'

That's definitely one hell of a story!

Glad you made it out okay, and thanks for sharing. Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

WOW! I'm glad you're okay!!!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
Joker
You want fries with that?

Amazing, even though I was expecting "Midnight Run" type of stuff! :D

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Wow... It's a good thing we Canadians have mad sprinting skills. I'm glad you got away and that you're safe!

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote