BEST backpacks for the ladies... - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

I'm currently looking to get a new pack for my upcomming trip. I looked online for HOURS the other night and i came up with this one REI Venus . I know it's i bit big, but i like it. I just don't like the price, lol. I also came accross this tent REI Arete ASL2 what do you all think of these?? thanks in advance!!!

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #22
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERI View Post
I'm currently looking to get a new pack for my upcomming trip. I looked online for HOURS the other night and i came up with this one REI Venus . I know it's i bit big, but i like it. I just don't like the price, lol. I also came accross this tent REI Arete ASL2 what do you all think of these?? thanks in advance!!!

No. I will not allow you to buy this MONSTER lol. Seriously teri, you're thinking irrationally. I know you want to bring along tons of stuff for when you first get there (but you'll be working then so you can bring as much as you like...in real suitcases or duffel bags you plan to ditch) BUT I also know you Teri and there is no f*#@ing way you're not going to B&*^% and complain about the most massive backpack ever on your back. I had a friend who HAD that pack (which was like 30 pounds heavier than everyone elses) and it was the biggest regret of her trip. Don't you dare make that backpack purchase without me. There's a reason female packs don't generally go above 60L. You're 5'3 for christs sake teri....

And somehow we will ALWAYS find a way to fill our packs. It's human nature. So don't even think of that as an argument lol

PS I vote for : the Arc'teryx Bora 65 Backpack because it's entirely waterproof and very good at stabilizing weight apparently...it's a little more expensive though....(but on sale!)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia

Last edited by simply_angelic; 01-05-2010 at 09:36 AM.
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

I guess it all depends on what you want the pack for. Do you want a top loader or do you want a bunch of pockets for organizing? How often and for how long will you be carrying this pack? Will it be in rain for long periods? ect. I'd go for something that is 65L or under, like Angelic said.

As for the tent, what will you be using this for and for how long and where? I can mos def answer some questions if I know what your pack and tent will be used for. I've done my fair share of gear testing and purchasing in the last five years.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

oh and P.S.....REI is having a big clearance sale starting Jan 8th (30 -40% off). So I'd probably check out the deals after the 8th.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

LOL! The description for the Venus one reads "Pack the fuzzy slippers, this women's backpack is built to carry all the creature comforts."

I agree! Do not get! You will find a way to get those fuzzy slippers in there. Do you really need fuzzy slippers?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #26
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

Laura-

SD- I will hopefully be usuing the tent in Aus and New Zealand for a few days at a time i guess. camping on beaches, in the outback, and mountain hikes/treks (which could get alittle cold depending where i'll be in NZD and the time of year). I'm pretty sure i wont be going anywhere too cold with snow. thats part of why I'm leaving Canada, lol. Any tips on the tent would be awesome!!!

Lizz- maybe I do have fuzzy slippers.... Ok I do... I'm wearing them at work right now! hahaa. I dont think they're comming with me though...

ok people, what about this pack??

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)

Last edited by TERI; 01-05-2010 at 11:45 PM.
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #27
jillaroo

Default backpack for travelling oz

I'm having the same dilemma tried to look for the marmot femme nikita pack that people had previously recommended on here but cant find it.
I am also short and travelling australia for a year mainly in the outback so need a lightwight easy to carry with lots of pockets for my year trip. and im also on a budget!
any help please
:D
jillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Laura-
You're welcome.

Quote:
ok people, what about this pack??

Interesting how we tell you no, teri you shouldnt get a 75L bag and somehow your next step is to suggest a 65L + 10L bag?

(but in all seriousness that is a sweet feature of the bag...)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

TERI - I'm not sure if you are money conscience or not, but if you are doing city trekking with some outdoor camping, you won't need the high priced hardcore stuff that REI sells.

The main thing to look for in a tent is that it is under 5 pounds, not too bulky with a bathtube bottom and a rainfly. I'd go as far as to say check out target, walmart, kmart ect. no need to buy brand named for only a few days in temperate weather.

Also, with the pack. I'd say try for 65L at the most. I travelled with a 50L both internationally and on backcountry trips and it was more than adequate. You will just have to send home anything you buy that you don't need everyday.

Comfort and mobility is key to you i can imagine.

jillaroo - You're right. It's darn hard to find. try googling "Marmot Femme Nikita 50".

Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #30
Dig
TPunk Moderator

My wife can carry my 65L weighted down, but not like I can. It wears me out sometimes, and I am 5' 8" 165.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #31
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

^Don't get me wrong. i can carry a 75L pack up mountain sides when I'm doing a climb that requires technical gear (rope, harness, carbiners ect.) in winter. doesn't mean i want to. it's painful and difficult. I'm 5'9 150lbs.

when i can, i keep my pack to 50L and no more than 35lbs MAX.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #32
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

TERI! - REI sale began today and the packs you are looking at are on clearance! Move quickly!

Also, the tent i was thinking about for myself is on super sale. Check it out and see if it is one you would like as well. It's a great deal and super light weight. Big Agnes Seedhouse 1