Where to go ? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Members

Default Where to go ?

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice ?

This year i went away to NZ and OZ for 5 weeks. It was the first time id travelled alone but absolutely loved it. Ideally i would go away with mates but as theyre all busy getting married and having babies ! I decided to go solo rather than miss out

Anyway, next march i would like to go away again, i have 5 weeks holiday saved at work so would go away for 5 week minimum but as my new holidays start in April i could use a few more weeks and drag it out to 8 weeks.

Problem is, i have no idea where to go ! NZ was pretty easy and safe to travel alone, im not the most travel savvy and can be fairly quiet when it comes to meeting people so i dont necessarily want to go anywhere that is intimidating alone.

I fancy loads of places, possibly South Africa, Thailand (maybe Vietnam/Cambodia), South America, USA or even Europe (Though i guess i can see european cities anytime with cheap flights from the UK)

As you can tell i havent exactly narrowed it down !

Can anyone offer any advice on where is relatively safe and easy to backpack, where ill easily meet lots of others. Somewhere that has plenty of things to do rather than just beaches etc

Any advice is appreciated !

Cheers all

Jonny
JonnyBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Thats pretty general...but since i havent been anywhere (til next year!!) I will say that South Africa is pretty chilled. And you can travel alone....its always pretty busy with backpackers, so you will definitly meet alot of awesome people! And SA is really stunning, and pretty safe (dont listen to all the horror stories) so I dont think you could go wrong if you came here. I suppose that is quite a biased point of view though.

I might be silly, but im choosing to visit 1st world countries as my first trip to kinda get me into the whole travelling thing and I suppose to know that im safe etc....maybe thats just me.
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

How about going to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands? Nice mix of off the beaten path and amazing, but more touristed, sights...

If you do go to South Africa, I recommend using the Baz Bus to get around. Check it out at: http://www.bazbus.com

Also, for Kruger National Park, you can do self-drive safaris...rent your own car, and just buzz around the park yourself. It's easy! That's how the locals do it. You may think it's difficult to spot the wildlife, but I didn't have any problems. There is a great South African National Parks site, check it out at:
http://www.sanparks.org

Feel free to ask any questions about these or other places...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Europe is a traveller's paradise as far as ease of travel and safety. Meeting people is very easy. Maybe Eastern Europe would be fun for you because it's a little further away. The Balkans are great. Lots of people speak English (thanks to Tito) and the people are very friendly.

The USA is nice and it's very safe, but it might be expensive to do alone. There is so much to see in the States but it's very spread out and flights aren't cheap and buses take an eternity. If you can afford the flights though than it's great. Americans are approachable and friendly, especially if your first language is English and you have an accent.

Mike has a great idea for South America if you think Europe is too close for you. The buses are great in most countries (although unsafe in some), and you will meet lots of people. Central/South Americans are very friendly, although a bit of Spanish will definitely be very helpful.

Good luck and have fun.

mowark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
always trippin'

Looks like you're interested in going everywhere! I've always been nervous about heading out alone, but every time that I've done it has turned out amazing. I've traveled both South-East Asia and Central America, and have never had a problem finding amazing people to hang out with or travel with...actually there were loads of English people in Central America! It is easier to get around with English in SEA though. I'm sure there's a traveler trail that you can get on to in pretty much any part of the world and you'll be fine, and there really is so much to do everywhere. Just pick a place that appeals the most and go!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Members

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated

Im warming to the idea of either the states (not sure on which coast though) or maybe SE Asia now.

Although ill have to look into Mikes suggestion of "Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands", that sounds intriguing, i dont know anyone whos been to either so that could be an adventure.

Mike - What kind of activities / sights can i expect from these places?

I guess its time to stop being so indecisive and start doing some research ! More posts coming this way i think.

Cheers again
JonnyBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #7

Smile

Hey JonnyBloo

I'd highly recommend Cape Town, South Africa! We're just coming out of winter now and the weather's really warming up. Stunning clear skies and so much to see and do! Which ever destination you choose, have a great time!

Craig
Craig2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

The Galapagos Islands are a naturalist's dream. I bet if you go to your local library they'll have a nice videotape or DVD on them. Anyway, lots of cool animals on little islands. There are various small boats that take multiday cruises among the islands. It's all a national park, too, I believe. I mean, where else can you see a blue footed booby?

Here's a site I just found:
http://www.galapagosislands.com/

Now, Ecuador itself will be a bit different...highland South America...native culture, more un-touristy stuff...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Rabidly Xenophilic

Can you do the galapagos cheaply? I tried looking into that a year or so ago and it seemed like it was going to be really difficult to stay there very long due to the daily fee and guide requirements.

If you're not too worried about the language barrier south america is a great place to backpack. There are tons of people backpacking there, its cheap, and south americans seemed like a very friendly bunch to me. Most places are safe too.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Members

Hands down the best trip I have taken was to Egypt, Israel, and Jordan!! And I wold go again in a heart beat. Check it out!! AMAZING!!!
ZachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

yay for the Galapagos suggestions!! when I get back I am doing a trip to Ecuador and Galapagos (April 2008), you have to be careful when you go or you may get stuck in the rainy season. I'm sort of an adventure seeker, so I am planning on rafting, kayaking, hiking, that sort of thing, plus seeing all the local stuff. I am a big animal lover and in the 7th grad we watched a documentary on the Galapagos and I have wanted to go ever since.

From what I see, Ecuador is reasonably priced, and you can find some good deals to get to the Galapagos, but keep in mind most of those prices do NOT include admission into the Galapagos park, which is like 100 bucks.

If you're looking for more of a social type thing perhaps Europe is the better choice perhaps. But maybe you could try a less traveled area, not so much Spain or France but Iceland, Romania, Denmark, Poland, that sort of thing.

I guess it all depends on WHEN you want to travel as to WHERE you go.

Maybe Russia? Africa can be cool too. Ahhhh so many choices!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #12

Smile Galapagos travel

Hello, I'm taking a cruise to the Galapagos
evelinecoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #13

Red face

• I have a trip planned for Ecuador end of February this year
evelinecoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

I am planing to travel in Bangkok in this summer with my family. Bangkok is a beautiful place to visit, it has a relaxed and modern atmosphere. Beautiful beaches makes our trip more exciting.
maniladsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to joefunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniladsouza View Post
I am planing to travel in Bangkok in this summer with my family. Bangkok is a beautiful place to visit, it has a relaxed and modern atmosphere. Beautiful beaches makes our trip more exciting.
hi.. Bangkok is part of Thailand and most exciting place too. U can find tourist in almost in all areas and very safe there. Its very crowded town and u can't find any beach there. If u wanna enjoy beach in Thailand u got to go to Phuket, Krabi or Koh Samui. All these places same as Bangkok full of tourist and u will love the night lifes. During your tour don't forget to visit Thai Kick Boxing, Tiger Show, and Transgender Show and not forgetting Island hopping. Cheers
joefunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefunkie View Post
hi.. Bangkok is part of Thailand and most exciting place too. U can find tourist in almost in all areas and very safe there. Its very crowded town and u can't find any beach there. If u wanna enjoy beach in Thailand u got to go to Phuket, Krabi or Koh Samui. All these places same as Bangkok full of tourist and u will love the night lifes. During your tour don't forget to visit Thai Kick Boxing, Tiger Show, and Transgender Show and not forgetting Island hopping. Cheers
Yeah Of course, We travel for more than 2 Months so its fine for us to travel most places of the place.
maniladsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #17

You can also go Ireland for your next holiday. This time if you will go with your friend and family or will go solo in both condition you will enjoy a lot during your holidays. Ireland is the most beautiful place to go for a holiday. A number of tourist come here to visit the Ireland.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #18

You can enjoy your vacations at Ireland. Tourists like to come from all around the world to see the beauty of country. Many tourist come there from all around the world to see the beauty of the country.
herrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #19

Default Travel Tips and Advice

Recently I had visited Galapagos islands and its a very beautiful place.
Ameliajhonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #20

Thanks for sharing the your travel experience. You can visit also India Rajasthan, It has so many tourist attractions points.
jamesjennifer is offline   Reply With Quote